• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • painterchris
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • May 2000

ominous rumblings

Problem: in the past week, I noticed a vibration in my driveline. It is extremely noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear when the van is putting out high torque, like pulling up a hill. It is not noticeable in first, even on steep hills. It doesn't seem to be a big problem when cruising either. Any thoughts on where this might be coming from? Or how to narrow down the possibilities? The rear end is pretty rough, but I didn't do anything to cause this sudden performance change. Also, I only noticed this problem a week ago and it seems to be getting worse. Is it engine (unlikely), tranny, clutch, driveshaft, rear, other?

Possibly unrelated: I heard some strange creaking and popping noises when engaging the clutch at about the same time the vibration started. These noises stopped after a day, but the vibration is only getting worse. Related or a separate problem?

Basically, I need to find out where the vibration is coming from and determine if it is a quick fix or not. If not, then I need to know how long I can get away with driving it this way before it completely craps out.

Any advice would be helpful.
    Andy.
  • TurboVan
    VCVC Member
    • Dec 2000

Check the U-joints, esp. the rear one. Just set the parking brake, block the wheels, put it in neutral, grab the drive shaft and shake hard to see if they're loose. --- TV
    Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Comment

• gotavan
      VCVC Member
      • Nov 2000

you may want to jack up the rear wheels and give'em a spin listening for noises. (axle bearings) Just turn by hand ,leave engine off. Dan

------------------
      gotavan
      gotavan Dan
      vannin since 1970
      1964 Chevy van 327 3 on tree
      1964 Chevy van 305 manual
      1964 GMC van 250 I6 powerglide
      1965 Chevy van 230 I6 3 on tree
      1967 Chevy van 250 I6 3 speed manual

Comment

Working...
      X