PDA

View Full Version : Check in, Questions & Ramble.

MoonJoe
04-19-2001, 10:39 AM
I'm off this week to spend spring break with my son. I'm usually pretty busy during the week so it's not very often I get to work on the van. Work, family, school, two nights a week and surf on the weekends. I'm very grateful for this page though. Like Tony said it is great! I've made some contacts as far as parts go. Andy helped with a lead on some stock seats (still trying to contact them) and ahighdiver got me contact for bumpers (they had one but he couldn't tell me what kind of shape it was in). I didn't think it would be this hard to get parts when I got the van but this is my first experience with a restore. Being off though I was able to go to the junkyard that JD told me about here in our area. When I first went there I was in no hurry to grab up parts thinking there should be plenty, but I'm finding that's not the case. I know it takes a lot of searching now which I don't have time for but this page helps. Anyway at the junkyard yesterday the old 66 was still there + they had a another 66 No Door! Don't get too exited guy's the roof looked like it came from the snow area's, rotted along the gutters and the passenger door is all jacked up. I thought No Doors were myths like unicorns, but there it was! I was able to get the front bumper off the first 66 and the rear bumber off the No Door. I also got a right headlight ring and a stock steering wheel. By now You can guess my theme. I'm trying to go as much stock as possible. What I'm trying to build is a daily driver that looks like it was takin over by a surfer in the late 60s early 70's. The 65 four cylinder I gave up in high school was just that. I guess I'm trying to recapture that van. I want to replace the 194 I have with 292. Plus rebuild or replace the transmission (What kind of three speed automatic does anyone recomend?). I got a lead on another couple of junkyards in Santa Ana that specializes in Chevy's, I'll check them out tommorrow. One other thing. We have a collectors and hot rod show in this area (lakewood). I took the wife and kid (mistake!) a couple weeks ago. I didn't find much for us but I did find a guy with a 66 there selling other parts. We were like long lost brothers. I told him about the site and he showed me some of the things he did on his van. I'm gona go back in May and look him up again. One thing I saw in his van was the metal door covers on the interior. I always thought they were that fiberboard or something. Man I need to get me a set of those. One last question. The channels inside my doors for the windows are toast. Does anyone still make these? I was told at the show Quick Seal might but I didn't see them on their web site. Has anyone replaced theirs? That's it for the rambling, keep on vanning brothers....FYI Rocks Rolla does'nt sell parts anymore...Joe

smiley
04-19-2001, 11:07 AM
Thanks Moonjoe! I'm happy that so many have been able to benefit from this site. It's certainly grown much bigger and more beneficial than I ever thought it would.

Just a note on that 292 idea. You'll have to customize the engine box lid because the 292 is taller the 194,230,250s. A stock lid won't close on a 292.

greg showers
04-19-2001, 11:58 AM
i had to replace the window channels in my doors but i found a nearly mint set in a pair of doors from a 68 fire/rescue van. i looked for over five years trying to find parts like that till i found that van and parted it out. good luck but like tom did for the doghouse lids, maybe we as a club could get the manufacturers to produce some of these hard to find misc. pieces

MoonJoe
04-20-2001, 08:51 AM
Hey Smiley your welcome. Thanks for the tip on the 292 as well. I'll go 250 then cause I don't want to alter the Dog House. Greg thanks for the tip on channel stuff. I'll try to find someone who makes it then and see about replacement material in bulk. The guy at the swap meet had stuff for trucks but nothing for vans. He's the one who told me about Quick Seal. I asked if that's where he got his but he said no. He wasn't very freindly now that I think about it. As far as the doors go I would hate to buy them just for that but if they had the metal panels I might go for it. I'm a gonna check those other yards today and see what I find. Later, joe.

greg showers
04-20-2001, 12:11 PM
i got extra door panels if your interested just e mail me and we can make arrangements

MoonJoe
04-20-2001, 06:44 PM
Thanks Greg, I fired off the e-mail, Joe.

Yeggster
04-20-2001, 09:46 PM
Moon Joe the 292 is great for torque but is not well know for reving.......it has such a long stroke......I had one in an old 4X4 and spun the back bearings when it over reved

Yeggster

MoonJoe
04-21-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks Yeg. I don't want to alter the Dog House so what I think I will do is exchange the 194 for the 250. Besides I'm not making a moving van so I don't need the torque. I'm looking for something that can drive up to 80 on the freeway. I think I have a turbo 350 in the van now that I will exchange or have re-built. It isn't set up to shift on it's own so I'll have to fix that when I exchange. I'm not sure what the rear end is either so I'll have to check that as well. Hopefully I can do this before the end of summer. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif Joe