PDA

View Full Version : 66 with 2nd gen doghouse



shorty
05-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok so my buddy who helps me work on my van says that his uncle has 2 1st gens (I have never seen them). And suspicously after i told him about the rarity of the 1st gen dashpad he told me that his uncle had one that was orange (suspicously the exact accent colour that I'm using in my interior) and to top that off he said that it has a 2nd gen doghouse in it. Now I cant recall if I ever said anything about a 2nd gen doghouse to him but he could of made it up. I asked him if it was a custom job but he said it was orig. Has anyone else here of this varaint on a 1st gen or do you think he is blowing smoke up my you know what. Shorty

gregw98
05-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Shorty, is that smoke I smell?
greg

leadfoot
05-05-2004, 08:46 PM
i think thats one funky breeze your feelin
....second hand from the guy who told ya that one LOL..unless it was the absolute last
1966 van they made and were out of parts so
they morf'd to the next yrs parts..but i seriously do not think so
-i think i heard the vista roof was a factory option once too http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif
Van~oN

Vanner68
05-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Saw a 64 with "factory" air, actually dealer installed. Funky chrome box with vents under the dash.
My 70 has the 6 cyl, but has the crossflow V8 style radiator. The VIN starts out GS so it's an original 6 banger van. Production number is in the 12,000 range so it's one of the last FC vans built by GMC- mus've been using up all the leftover early parts. It's a no door with a powerglide, 6 cyl, rear glass.

Optik
05-06-2004, 06:45 AM
sounds like its worth checking out though. i bet instead its a chevy with a ford doghouse or something.... http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif
-tim

Joe Russin
05-06-2004, 09:19 AM
when you talk to people about these vans they like to act like they know about them....Most people know very little if any thing...so if it has no hood and a doghouse its an early...I thought I knew alot about these vans having owened a 65 no side door...I have learned alot since joining this site...Sometimes I learn something new every time I log on.....Wookee

[This message has been edited by Joe Russin (edited May 06, 2004).]

Optik
05-06-2004, 12:21 PM
i have found that the best question to ask when inquiring about on early chevy is "are the headlights in the grill or above the grill". easy enough for people to remember that at least.
-tim

shorty
05-06-2004, 07:00 PM
I use flat or curved windsheild. pretty simple. Shorty

TurboVan
05-08-2004, 01:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanner68:
Saw a 64 with "factory" air, actually dealer installed. Funky chrome box with vents under the dash.
My 70 has the 6 cyl, but has the crossflow V8 style radiator. The VIN starts out GS so it's an original 6 banger van. Production number is in the 12,000 range so it's one of the last FC vans built by GMC- mus've been using up all the leftover early parts. It's a no door with a powerglide, 6 cyl, rear glass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The crossflow went along with the automatic in 6-cyl 2nd gen's, because it had the integral tranny cooler (as in the '69 TacoVan). Downflow was used with the 6-cyl stick (as in the '68).
Not sure what radiator 1st gen's used with the 'Glide, with their smaller doghouse.

TV


[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited May 08, 2004).]

Optik
05-08-2004, 03:38 PM
1st gen with powerglide has the downflow radiator and no overflow tank, just a rubber hose running from the filler neck down.
-tim

dieselvan
05-08-2004, 06:23 PM
I thought 2nd gen with V8 always used a crossflow radiator.

TurboVan
05-08-2004, 10:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Optik:
1st gen with powerglide has the downflow radiator and no overflow tank, just a rubber hose running from the filler neck down.
-tim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


How do they cool the tranny?

TV


[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited May 08, 2004).]

gotavan
05-09-2004, 04:22 AM
They had the oil cooler in the bottom tank. I also have 3 early aluminum powerglides that are air cooled (no radiator hook ups) they have the large holes cut in the bellhousing to let the air out. The torque converter on these has fins welded on and there is a air scoop on the lower cover. I have one in a 63 Chevy car and one in a van, but its not a factory install.

------------------
gotavan

Vanner68
05-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I had a 76 Vega with an air cooled trans...often wondered how effective it was, must be really spotty in a van....TV, thanks for the radiator info, never knew that- just assumed they used a downflow with cooler built in like passenger cars. Never too old to learn!

Rich Van Linkel
05-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Shorty,

I had a 1st gen with a 2nd gen doghouse in it. Of course I put the 2nd gen doghouse in my 66. It was very easy and worked out great for installing the 307.

Rich

TurboVan
05-12-2004, 11:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanner68:
I had a 76 Vega with an air cooled trans...often wondered how effective it was, must be really spotty in a van....TV, thanks for the radiator info, never knew that- just assumed they used a downflow with cooler built in like passenger cars. Never too old to learn!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob... I didn't know either until I first saw it in TacoVan!

TV