PDA

View Full Version : The future of my van

tonye66
05-11-2001, 03:05 PM
I really got to thinking over the past few days. Once my van goes and I can no longer revive it, I may just parts it out to you guys. It may not happen for at least a few years down the road. Heck, I may never get rid of it but I'm just letting you know. See, thats what life sitting in school gets you!

Tony

tonye66
05-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Well, now I am getting rid of it. I am updating all of my posts to let you all know.

tony

tomschaner
05-17-2001, 07:12 AM
why don't ya just revive it.tony i've got two van projects i'm working on at the same time.a 66 gmc and a 67 chevy.i've been hammering,welding,painting,fixing and researching all avenues as well as hunting down parts.the bottom line is it takes a lot of hard work and rude comments from friends to overcome rebuilding one of these old babies.if i was you i would keep it, work on it, and gain automotive knowledge on it and when your done you'll have a vehicle which most probably no one else in your neck of the woods has seen in a long,long time.cheer up and get cranking tom.

pat69chevan
05-17-2001, 08:52 AM
hey tony, i can understand where you are coming from, i have worked on projects before and eventually i gave up on them, but as i grow older, i realize that it is not the finished product that is important to me, it is the work that i find to be satisfying. i recently finished putting another rear axle on my 69, it took me about 20plus hours to complete, but i enjoyed every minute of it. you are an owner of a van style that you see less and less of as time goes by, a dying breed, i believe that you will regret parting with her, i apologize if i am being too harsh, but i hate to see another one end up in the bone yard.

pat

68chevyboy
05-17-2001, 02:21 PM
i get a whole lot of rude comments and discouragement when the van comes up, and theyll tell me that "vans suck"- so i came up with a "vanners comeback"-just because you were concieved in a van doesnt mean that it sucks too"----they shut up. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif sorry you have to get rid of it, and you did a good thing by offering it to us. hopefully it will wind up in the hands of a vanner.
keep on truckin.

tonye66
05-17-2001, 10:27 PM
Well now with the new Job moving TV's, I will certainly need the van.

Tony

MoonJoe
05-18-2001, 07:39 PM
Right on Tony, scored the job! See work and chicks, they just won't leave you alone!! (Hey Chevyboy nice come back! I'm gonna steal that one.) Tony for now with work, school and family I can only move my van for the street sweeper every other week. Other than that she's just sitting. I get discouraged too. But, I let my 65 go in high school and regretted it ever since. Learn from my mistake. My goal is to have an engine and trans in by the end of summer. I just keep looking forward, that's all I can do. Vans rule!!, later.....

68chevyboy
05-18-2001, 07:58 PM
all yours joe, all yours.

68chevyboy
05-18-2001, 08:32 PM
ALLRIGHT TONY! http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

tonye66
06-21-2001, 11:26 PM
I cannot keep her. I keep getting tickets for not moving it. It has not run in weeks. The first 600 bucks it's yours. I thank you all for the encouragement but my dad says she has to go!

Tony

Rich Van Linkel
06-22-2001, 05:35 AM
Tony,
Have you let your dad read all the comments on this subject of you letting her go?
I to know what you are going thru, my wife and kids were the worst about telling me how much my van sucked and what a piece of junk it was. And I have to admit, there were times when I called it a piece of junk and wanted to drop a match in the gas tank. But then I sold it to Universal Studios for the movie, and suddenly my family was real proud of it, the kids at school thought it was cool so naturally my kids thought it was cool now too. My 15 year old now hopes I can by it back from the studio so he can have it. I didn't think I would miss it because I have another project 66, but I do, and so will you. But we all understand, sometimes things are beyond your control.

the Bohemian

bellvan
07-02-2001, 12:31 AM
your gonna realy regret selling your van.do you know anyone at all who could let you park it in their yard for a while? hate to hear of anyone getting rid of a cool project over a bit of presure from someone who dont apriciate it.it kinda sucks,if you had an old 57`chevy ,camaro..ect,all kinds of folks would say"wow cool ,what a classic" park an old van in the driveway and you hear"whatcha gonna do with that old hunk a junk"ive herd id lots in my yard (ha ha) save that van for yourself if you can,if anything else its a priceless education in automotive tinkering.
good luck

tonye66
08-02-2001, 11:13 PM
You all have seen the website, what parts do y'all need? I can bring the van to Taz's van meet labor day weekend. If anyone needing my parts, let me know in advance. I will not mail them, seeing as it is a pain in the a**. I do not have the local shipping place anymore, so you will have to come and get them. I need to raise money for a car so I can sell the parts.

Taz- If you need any of my parts, let me know. I can bring my van to you if you need parts or want it whole.

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited August 03, 2001).]

Warlock
08-03-2001, 03:34 AM
I understand the need to get rid of the "old girl" but take it from a van man from way back. My wife, mother, daughter, have all at one time or another wanted , pushed, prodded me to part with my " old girl" My response then and now is the same, NEVER! If you do get rid of her, trust me, YOU'LL BE BACK!

Taz
08-03-2001, 09:10 AM
I am always looking for vans & parts. Slowly they are disapearing. I have a 67 I am going to strip now. (to bad to put back on the road) but I am always looking for new ones. I have put quite a few back on the road. Two weeks age I found a Freshly painted 65 no-door. Vary nice van. I got it for some one in Hy-Rolling Vans. There are now at least 10 early chavy vans running around my neck of the woods. Taz!!

tonye66
08-03-2001, 01:58 PM
Taz, Want to buy my van? I could bring over it on one of those 2 wheel dollies. It has tons of useful parts on it. I don't really think it can be put back on the road without a complete restoration. I have been looking at all of the rust on the body. The website makes it look like an easy restoration but there is tons of hidden rust that you can't see. If you want it for parts, I will keep the posi rear. If you want it for restoration, You can have the rear end with it.

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited August 03, 2001).]

Taz
08-03-2001, 05:40 PM
Give me a call and we can talk price. 847-662-4043
Taz!!

tonye66
08-03-2001, 11:02 PM
Taz, I will have to call you before 4:30 pm tomorrow. My dad is going out of town and he is the owner. If we can do this transaction before Sunday it would be great. Otherwise we would have to wait a week and a half to do the deal. I was asking 800 but for anyone on the site 700. You can come and look almost anytime as long as I am home. I just want to get rid of the van. All it really needs is to be timed, a new battery, and an alternator to run. It could stand a carb rebuild too. I hope you can buy it. I really don't want Victory auto wreckers to be its final rusting place. If you go to my site, http://www.aje826.net/tony/my_1966_chevrolet_sportvan_delux.htm , you can see most of the good parts. I think you could make over a grand in parts with all it's got. Well, I will talk to you tomorrow. Is Taz your real name? I want to know who to ask for.

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited August 04, 2001).]

No Door Kid
08-05-2001, 02:37 PM
When I traded for my 66.. I brought it home and called my 13 yearold daughter outside to see it. She opened the garage door and took one look and said I ain't gonna ride in that! She then closed the door and went back to her room.
Recon what she's gonna do when I pull up to pick her up at Band Practice and Blow the OOOGLE horn. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by No Door Kid (edited August 05, 2001).]

SurfCat
08-06-2001, 02:39 PM
hey tonye66,
if your selling parts from your van i'm lookin' for these items:
rear-view mirror and bracket, sun visors, and brackets and arm rests. if you have 'em in the van, theyre in good condition, and youre willing to sell 'em,.. how much? (Unless someone knows where i can get these items new???)
thanks,
SurfCat

tonye66
09-19-2001, 09:47 PM
I need a reliable car. The van has to go. I will sell any parts to anyone who will pay the price. I will now ship parts so let me know what you need and I will try to get it to you. I have the full trim set, 4-way flashers (that I understand are rare), tail and headlight trim, 4 chrome hubcaps, a saganaw 3 speed (in very good shape), most Interior parts, seatbelts (in fair shape), and a Posi rear (that will be a fairly expensive item), all seats, and much more. Remember, the bigger and heavier the Item, the more expensive it is to ship.

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited September 19, 2001).]

Vanner68
09-20-2001, 09:04 PM
What would you want for that rear? I could possibly pick it up, I'm just over in Detroit.

tomschaner
09-21-2001, 04:18 PM
toney i'd be interested in the tail light trim bezels like i e mailed you on before.let me know what you want for them at my e mail address # tomschaner@prodigy.net thanks tom.(definitely interested)

65dream
09-21-2001, 06:49 PM
hey tony when you say 4 way flashers what is that thanks from frank

tonye66
09-21-2001, 06:58 PM
Vanner 68, Im not gonna lie to you. That rear is strong as hell. I just re-did that gasket and fluid and it looked impecable. I say, 150 for the whole rear axle, tire to tire.

To about 50 of you, those trim rings, front and rear, and the hubcaps, they seem to be a fairly big necessity. I am taking offers. The highest bidder wins. I do not want to dissappoint any of you, I just don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

65dream- the 4 way flashers are the hazard blinkers.

Tony

MoonJoe
09-21-2001, 07:21 PM
Tony,

Is this a secret auction? I'd like to bid on the seats and hubcaps if possible?

Thanks, Joe

tonye66
09-21-2001, 07:53 PM
Click on the "profile" buton above one of my posts, then click on the email button on the new window that pops up.

Tony

tonye66
09-21-2001, 10:25 PM
The seats, the hubcaps, the headlight and taillight trim rings, the dash vents, and front door panels have already been spoken for. The flashers, dash, glovebox, seatbelts, battery box, doors, all glass, and more still for sale. Just let me know what you need and I will get it to you.

Tony