PDA

View Full Version : trailering

dream weaver 65
03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
i understand the time and effort anof course bucks involved in building a show van or car . i enjoy driving mine everywere i go as you know dream weaver has gotten it's share of trophys but to compete against a trailered in the same class seems a little intimadating just my 2 cents weave

Wookee
03-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Jim,my reason for wanting a trailers is while I love to drive my early.
Having the option of having the comfort of a late model that both the wife and I can both drive with my Early hanging on for dear life Is an option I would really like to have.
My trip to florida 22 hours straight through.stopping for gas and a 45 minute break for me to eat some lunch and unwind a little.I am pretty sure If i did the same trip in the Beast I would have had to stop after 10 hours.
I want to be able to make the Nationals where ever it is held at.I know for sure the next three years will not be too long distance wise.This years being the farthest.
I would also really like to be able to drive to all of the rest of the C Of C's meetings.there is talks of one of those being held in the Seattle area.
I can't think of a better excuse for a really cool long distance road trip and bring all of my toys and my fur babies with me.

I saw Coop give Gary the owner of Alpine Expess The Pro Street ealy Econo a hard time at the last Nationals because he brought his tow rig (a non van into the fair grounds)

There are still allot of old school vanners out there that really have not warmed up to this idea yet.

........Wookee

Silver Bullet
03-19-2012, 09:03 AM
i understand the time and effort anof course bucks involved in building a show van or car . i enjoy driving mine everywere i go as you know dream weaver has gotten it's share of trophys but to compete against a trailered in the same class seems a little intimadating just my 2 cents weave

I agree with you...a trailer queen in my opinion is not a car, it is a model of a car...a car is an automobile that is driven to a show and that should be it...and yes, there should be a trailer queen class and you are not the first person to ever bring up this subject...the guys who put as much effort into a show car that drives it is deducted points for road grime or small chips and so on, while the TQ is in pristine condition and gettin all the points and trophies...a show car should be driven and enjoyed to all extent.

I remember way back sometime in the late eighties when the judges surprised a few TQ show car owners and asked them to fire up their ride...guess what?...they were gutless some of them...they had heads, crank and exhaust but no engine guts, pistons or rods or cam and for that they were disqualified...some of them even had no guts in the trannies...just paint it up and stick some shiny parts on it...I think is was at a goodguys show...after that incident a lot of shows started to require a start procedure.

A CAR SHOULD BE DRIVEN AND ENJOYED!...IT'S NOT A CAR WHEN IT IS SITTING ON A TRAILER, IT'S DEAD WEIGHT.

SB

Wookee
03-19-2012, 09:25 AM
SB you really need to attend a van event to understand.
We are talking about guys who have vans nice enough to be on the show field but live they live out of them just like all of the rests of the non trailers vans do.

A van event and the show car world are two totally different worlds.

we have a good mix of drivers and trailered vans.

Dave Jarvis 9 second 3rd gen trailered.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/35th%20Nationals/100_2453.jpg

Crispy 12 second 2nd gen driven

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/35th%20Nationals/100_2469.jpg

Ken Hopcraft 8 door trailered

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/35th%20Nationals/100_2455.jpg

Wookee
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Jr's mid dodge trailered (roll back actually)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/2011%20Natiomals/39thnatiomals115.jpg

Tom Conisters new mid Dogde driven.Along with the mid ford in the picture behind it both are from cali

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/2011%20Natiomals/39thnatiomals341.jpg

Alpine Express trailered

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/alpineexpress-1.jpg

We had 50 early Chevys in the line up at the Nationals last year all but one where driven.

........Wookee

TurboVan
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Good point.
Inland Vans, Berdoo will not come the the W/C Nats because of all the non-vans attending.

dream weaver 65
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
i understand some of the non streetable stuff and long distance. i'm talking trailer queens afraid of a paint chip or a little road grime . just there for the trophys weave

dream weaver 65
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Jim,my reason for wanting a trailers is while I love to drive my early.
Having the option of having the comfort of a late model that both the wife and I can both drive with my Early hanging on for dear life Is an option I would really like to have.
My trip to florida 22 hours straight through.stopping for gas and a 45 minute break for me to eat some lunch and unwind a little.I am pretty sure If i did the same trip in the Beast I would have had to stop after 10 hours.
I want to be able to make the Nationals where ever it is held at.I know for sure the next three years will not be too long distance wise.This years being the farthest.
I would also really like to be able to drive to all of the rest of the C Of C's meetings.there is talks of one of those being held in the Seattle area.
I can't think of a better excuse for a really cool long distance road trip and bring all of my toys and my fur babies with me.

I saw Coop give Gary the owner of Alpine Expess The Pro Street ealy Econo a hard time at the last Nationals because he brought his tow rig (a non van into the fair grounds)

There are still allot of old school vanners out there that really have not warmed up to this idea yet.

........Wookee

i'm soory i opend this can of worms but at 71 i'm still old school even partial to campers weave

Star Dreamer
03-19-2012, 02:49 PM

Don't think of it as intimidating, think of it as a challange. At most van events the judges will not count off for paint chips as they believe in drivers too. Outdoor car shows don't usually have judges so it is more based on how many friends you have there. Indoor car shows, the competition is so great, the judges may need to go to that extreme even to the point of using white gloves and small flashlights. They do not care if your trailer or drive it, they are simply looking for the best.

As far as trailering it really is up to the owner what they want to do, we should not look down on them for any reason, the same as you should not look down on someone because they painted their van a color you don't like.

We do all aspects of this:
We have driven the Star Dreamer van for over 30 years and have over 170000 miles on it. Some of the areas on our van still have 170000 miles of dirt and grime but I cannot get to them without doing a complete tear down.
We trailer it now to most shows as most we do are over 200 miles away to keep the body in good shape. This paint job is over 7 years old and with the cost of paint and body work now adays to me it is well worth it. Also our trailer is a our camper as I am getting too old to sleep in the van. The wife likes her bathroom, I like having a regular bed and AC or heat. In our case, we cannot pull our trailer with the van because it is a 5th wheel trailer although I have tried to find ways to do it but they are not safe. I have a bumper hitch and brake controller mounted on the van and more than enough power to pull any trailer you can hook up to it.
I will drive the van to some shows, if I do it takes me an hour to apply a pretctive warp to the front end to help protect against bugs and stone chips. It does not protect against animals, parts on the road, lumber, road gators, chuck holes, hail storms, etc... so it makes driving it a challage with the shape our roads and weather is now adays.
We have driven ours on the Power Tour, even in the rain (without wipers) but that few hours in the rain meant days of clean up underneath.
We show our van to promote vanning, when we go to Indoor shows and most car shows we rarely see other vans there. To the vanners that don't show off their vans to the public and would rather be just blasting down the highway, I say fine but don't say bad things about me because I trailer mine and do what I think is more to promote vanning.
At the nationals recently in Illinois, we were not able to get to the site before they opened, so we were not allowed in with our truck & trailer. We instead parked our trailer at a campground about 15miles away and every morning drove to the Nats and then back in the evening. Only our close friends new we trailered it and any one that asked as we do not hide the fact. So just because it did not come in on a trailer does not mean it is not a trailer queen.

By the way, ours is not a Trailer "Queen", she is just on "Vacation"

As Wookee mentioned most Indoor shows are in the winter and trailering is almost a necessary, many vanners with nice vans would rather keep them locked up rather than trailer them to a show, how does that promote vanning?

ISCA rules require all vehicles to start, move forward, stop, backup, turn left and right. We have helped jump start a $1.5 million dollar street rod that had a dead battery that had to prove to the judges that it did run (it is allowed to give them a jump if battery is dead). All Ridler contenders must do this before they are placed in their display at Detroit.

We build all our stuff to drive. If we trailer it, it is due to protection, convenience, speed of cleaning and setting up at show. Here are some pictures of our van 4 years ago when we started trailering it.

One morning leaving for a show (note the snow in the background):
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00729.jpg

Later that evening in illinois (We should have been in Indiana):
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00741.jpg

The next day In Indy:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00765.jpg

Now:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC01248.jpg

The complete set up:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC01024a.jpg

It is not easy to find an enclosed trailer that will fit a van.

The early we are building will also do both, we will drive it when we can and trailer it when we want to.

Main thing is get out to van events, go to car shows to promote vanning, and get there anyway you can or want to, van or not. For the Nats, you need to bring your van!

dream weaver 65
03-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Don't think of it as intimidating, think of it as a challange. At most van events the judges will not count off for paint chips as they believe in drivers too. Outdoor car shows don't usually have judges so it is more based on how many friends you have there. Indoor car shows, the competition is so great, the judges may need to go to that extreme even to the point of using white gloves and small flashlights. They do not care if your trailer or drive it, they are simply looking for the best.

As far as trailering it really is up to the owner what they want to do, we should not look down on them for any reason, the same as you should not look down on someone because they painted their van a color you don't like.

We do all aspects of this:
We have driven the Star Dreamer van for over 30 years and have over 170000 miles on it. Some of the areas on our van still have 170000 miles of dirt and grime but I cannot get to them without doing a complete tear down.
We trailer it now to most shows as most we do are over 200 miles away to keep the body in good shape. This paint job is over 7 years old and with the cost of paint and body work now adays to me it is well worth it. Also our trailer is a our camper as I am getting too old to sleep in the van. The wife likes her bathroom, I like having a regular bed and AC or heat. In our case, we cannot pull our trailer with the van because it is a 5th wheel trailer although I have tried to find ways to do it but they are not safe. I have a bumper hitch and brake controller mounted on the van and more than enough power to pull any trailer you can hook up to it.
I will drive the van to some shows, if I do it takes me an hour to apply a pretctive warp to the front end to help protect against bugs and stone chips. It does not protect against animals, parts on the road, lumber, road gators, chuck holes, hail storms, etc... so it makes driving it a challage with the shape our roads and weather is now adays.
We have driven ours on the Power Tour, even in the rain (without wipers) but that few hours in the rain meant days of clean up underneath.
We show our van to promote vanning, when we go to Indoor shows and most car shows we rarely see other vans there. To the vanners that don't show off their vans to the public and would rather be just blasting down the highway, I say fine but don't say bad things about me because I trailer mine and do what I think is more to promote vanning.
At the nationals recently in Illinois, we were not able to get to the site before they opened, so we were not allowed in with our truck & trailer. We instead parked our trailer at a campground about 15miles away and every morning drove to the Nats and then back in the evening. Only our close friends new we trailered it and any one that asked as we do not hide the fact. So just because it did not come in on a trailer does not mean it is not a trailer queen.

As Wookee mentioned most Indoor shows are in the winter and trailering is almost a necessary, many vanners with nice vans would rather keep them locked up rather than trailer them to a show, how does that promote vanning?

ISCA rules require all vehicles to start, move forward, stop, backup, turn left and right. We have helped jump start a $1.5 million dollar street rod that had a dead battery that had to prove to the judges that it did run (it is allowed to give them a jump if battery is dead). All Ridler contenders must do this before they are placed in their display at Detroit.

We build all our stuff to drive. If we trailer it, it is due to protection, convenience, speed of cleaning and setting up at show. Here are some pictures of our van 4 years ago when we started trailering it.

One morning leaving for a show (note the snow in the background):
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00729.jpg

Later that evening in illinois (We should have been in Indiana):
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00741.jpg

The next day In Indy:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC00765.jpg

Now:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC01248.jpg

The complete set up:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/DSC01024a.jpg

It is not easy to find an enclosed trailer that will fit a van.

The early we are building will also do both, we will drive it when we can and trailer it when we want to.

Main thing is get out to van events, go to car shows to promote vanning, and get there anyway you can or want to, van or not. For the Nats, you need to bring your van!

i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings in this post i'm sorry and i'm always promoting vanning just my rant should have shut the f**k up cuatvancamp weave

gregw98
03-19-2012, 05:43 PM
We build our vans the way we like them, We drive them if we chose or we trailer them if we chose. I don't see where there is or has to be any rules or whether to trailer it or not. Drive it, trailer it, push it or pull it, who cares or even better, who has the right to say how a van should be transported. This is starting to sound like Chevy vs Ford.

Space Truckin
03-19-2012, 08:59 PM
We build our vans the way we like them, We drive them if we chose or we trailer them if we chose. I don't see where there is or has to be any rules or whether to trailer it or not. Drive it, trailer it, push it or pull it, who cares or even better has the right to say how a van should be transported. This is starting to sound like Chevy vs Ford.

Here Here or more like mine is bigger than yours , that said "can we all just get along " he he

AutomaticAmie
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM

I LOVE THAT, Star Dreamer!!!!!!

....i want mine to be on vacation too...but smiley says no.....i have to drive her again.....if she'll cooperate!

After driving 1000 miles to Old Washington last year (overheating somewhere in TN on the way there and in Cincinnati on the way back) & planning on another 1100 miles (17 hours) this year.... i wonder what the cut off time/miles is for driving an early to a vanning event?

Star Dreamer said:
"Main thing is get out to van events, go to car shows to promote vanning, and get there anyway you can or want to, van or not."
Weave said:
"....and i'm always promoting vanning...."

sounds like the same thing to me!!
I actually think it's a good post....gives both sides of the argument

Headstone was trailered (if i'm not mistaken) but i know that many people were excited to see it in person just the same!!

and @weave.....i often have problems with shutting the f#@k up!

Wookee
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Jim,No blood no foul....
That is the really good thing about these forums.we can express our feeling/opiions in a very civil and respectfult manner.
back in the 80's we had a member of our club who had a show van.

What was not painted was chrome on the underside of this Dodge.
we drove 3 hours to a van event in the Rain.it was on memorial day weekend.we left on Thursday night.gary and his twin brother laryy spend on solid day cleaning to get this van ready for the show.for ahalf od a day all you saw where leg sticking out from under that van.We helped by suppling them with cold beer when they took a breal.......LOL
I almost got int a fight with a couple of vanners later that week end be cause they did not believe they drove that van through the same rain we did........
they said there was no way because the underside of the van was so clean.
Gary kept this van that clean not and drove that van all summer long.It was also kept out side.

the unfortunate deal is we vanner have to contend with the "show car attude" that the public and even some vanners have.

that attute consits of.my van is not good enough for a van show.or if it was that nice I could not drive it.along with the whole trailer queen moniker and every thing that goes with that.

I got into a bun out compation at the 38th Nats.this event was 9 hours away from home.
a friend of mine ask me what if i would have broke something.my reply to him was I would have fixed it.
I would like the option to have a trailer (an open old school trailer if fine).Just so if decide to get into a driving event at an event van kahana,burnout compation,blast down a drag strip,what ever. IF I break the van I can just load it and all of its broken parts up on the trailer and take it home.

There are some very NICE NEW vans being built as we type.One with allot extreme drive line and body mods will be a driver,The trailer option might be used on another.

IT IS ALL GOOD

..........Wookee

Johnny B.
03-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Just my two cents, I do drive my "65" to all the car shows I can. Most shows currently do not have a "Van" category, so I just put down "SUV" which also include brand new Escalades, Burbs, and Excursions. That are slammed to ground with 23" wheels, mega sounds systems, and paint jobs that cost more than I get in my retirement checks! My Old Girl is all finished by my hand or by the the hand of a one man shop. Sorry just venting , KEEP ON VANNIN'

Young 65
03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
I've had my 68 sports van for 35 years now and have well over 300,000 miles on her. Every fall I take her from the Canadian border down the coast to just south of San Francisco for the Bridge School Benefit concerts - about a 2500 mile round trip. Can't tell you how many breakdowns I've experienced - from fuel pumps to master brake cylinders to transmissions, the list goes on - but almost universally I've always found people that really like to work on the old girl and get her back on the road. But I'll also qualify that as I've had the most success in dealing with shops in small towns. Once limped into San Francisco with a blown master brake cylinder and had a hell of a time finding someone that would work on her - until I came across a shop run by old hippies that took care of me right away. Knew I was in the right place when I went into the can and there were shelves full of vinyl.

I'm in the middle of a major cosmetic restoration as I type, but to me she's still a camper and party van. My kids and I have been all over the Pacific Northwest in Mabelline and now I'm starting to take the grandsons on excusrions. Long may she run.

Wookee
03-26-2012, 07:36 AM
On both of the Earlies I have owned/restored, traveled with.I got them both mechanicaly "right" before they where even on the road.Even though the running gear on these vans is "old school" technology (drum brakes, carburetors),once you get one right and learn how to work on them.They can be very easy to maintain and repair.

........Wookee