PDA

View Full Version : Summer Time Fun...

Mbasaraba
03-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Well my kids have been bugging me for 3 years to build them a water slide for our pool. We have a 30 foot above ground round pool. I have a deck around 3 sides of my house and then it has a deck walk from the house to the 40 x 50 deck at the pool.

My first plan was to buy some 48 inch pipe in 24 foot sections and put it from the top of the house to the pool. The wife said I was nuts not to mention the electrical lines come in right there. I told her the kids would never touch them more than once but she didnt think that was very funny. The pipe was around $800 a section and weight close to 700 lbs each section. Well there was NO WAY I was going to be able to place that without a backhoe or something so scratch that idea.

Well it happened I needed to replace my liner this year and so I came up with a plan. Being an engineer and building all my ideas in 3D CAD software really helps bring dreams to reality.

So here is my concept. I already started building the 4 tall post section which is where the starting platform will be. This model is ONLY the frame. The frame rails will be covered with plywood. The plywood will be sealed with Poly and then carpeted. The carpet will get a the old pool liner (that was cut into a 4 foot wide 26 foot long strip) glued to it. I bought a 900 GPH 50PSI electric well pump with 150 ft lift that will power the sprayers all along the side of the slope.

I will get pictures posted of the progress as we go. I was going to try to get some today before it started storming but I didnt.

We extended our deck by 5 feet on the back side to allow people to walk past the slide steps and we are putting up a railing all the way around the deck.

Mbasaraba
03-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Forgot to say the actual SLIDE part will be 4 feet wide on a 25 degree angle then will plain out to a 10 degree angle at the bottom. Should be interesting to see if I can launch some kids off the slide, across the pool and into the side of my shop.

Lol

Mbasaraba
04-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Made great progress on the slide over the weekend and yesterday. Got the frame 95% complete and the plywood installed.

Still need to make the stair case but it is coming along REAL well. The kids are getting super excited to try it!

We still have a huge mess from the construction to clean up but we will get that done this weekend. The pool is still filling and I need to stop and get the wood for the top rail of the pool today.

AutomaticAmie
04-03-2012, 08:02 AM
WOW!!! so.....are you planning a mini van gathering too so we can all try out ur new slide?

Mbasaraba
04-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Actually I was thinking about that. I am headed back to North Dakota first week of June but thought after I get back and get the yard mowed and everything about having a get together. I got 3 acres with plenty of parking, huge grill, big pool and slide and a garden that will be over loaded with fresh veggies... There is also a big fridge full of beer. LoL

Mbasaraba
04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DT6uXU4nqw&feature=g-upl&context=G29f4d0aAUAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFAaZmE3IE&feature=g-upl&context=G2b23d73AUAAAAAAABAA