PDA

View Full Version : Did these vans come with a 4 speed transmision?

ron bonomo
05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I was watching a local car show called " Cruzin New England".The show featured vans from a van run called Super Somer.One of the van owners that was interviewed was Roger Moyles,and he said he has a 4 speed transmission in his van.Did these vans come with a 4 speed?
Ronb

smiley
05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Yes, the 4spd. manual was an option in the 2nd gen vans. No surprise that Roger has one.

kookykrispy
05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
It was a very rare option for 2nd gen... 4 speed with a column shift. Reverse is operated by a cable. The transmission is an ultra wide ratio Borg Warner T-10 with a 3.44 1st gear and has the van specific mount on the tailshaft housing. I have one of these transmissions stashed away. Soon it will find its way into the wiki-van!

Space Truckin
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
My 69 no door came with one , I will swap column out w one of the donor van th350's . Don't really feel like shifting gears in a van , will save the shifting and tickets for the Viper .

ron bonomo
05-02-2012, 04:31 AM
the van that Roger Moyles has is a 64,.

back2thewoods
05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
did anyone tape show???

Wookee
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
the van that Roger Moyles has is a 64,.

Just because it's a 64 does not matter much.as long as you have ALL of the parts colunm,shifting rods, the swively thingy that goes between the frame rail and the trans,and the trans it is a pretty easy swap.
Rodger has the mechanical skills to pull this swap off and make it look factory.
He had been hording parts for the Sinsational redo for years.

I would like to see this show also......

......Wookee

Wally Gator
05-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Info on Van Show , The show is on NESN (New England Sports Network) ...The episode was taped last August @ Super Somer in Somers CT. A Great Van - In... Paul Mennet does the show weekly and has Focused on all different interests in the Auto Hobby...From Steam cars to Tractors !!! Punch up Crusin' New England.com .. The next time their going to air the episode is 6/1 @ 2PM or as time passes you can see past episodes on line .. They devoted the whole half hour to spotlighting 4 different Vans including Rodger Moyles latest "Sinsational II" ... Happy Viewing WG

planetvear
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
there is a junkyard up here that has a second gen with a 4-speed in it. it is full of radiator hoses and the old fella won't part with any parts.

smiley
05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
there is a junkyard up here that has a second gen with a 4-speed in it. it is full of radiator hoses and the old fella won't part with any parts.

A junkyard that won't sell parts. That's an incredibly flawed business model.

ron bonomo
05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I looked for the Cruzin New England episode,but couldn't find it.Maybe some one more tech savvy might be able to find it.lol sorry
Ron

planetvear
05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
smiley, this guy is quite a hoot! he has to be 80 plus years old and just goes to the yard because he has nothing else to do. the yard is all old stuff, with alot of vws. i tried to have a look around but he follows you around and just talks and talks and talks. i had to leave because he was giving me a headache. very nice guy, definitely lonely. two hours was more than enough though.

Wally Gator
05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
I looked for the Cruzin New England episode,but couldn't find it.Maybe some one more tech savvy might be able to find it.lol sorry
Ron

Ron , Spell CRUSIN' like this... WG

Johnny B.
05-05-2012, 04:31 PM
My "65" has a 4 spd in it, on the tree, (reverse is a lever under the driver's seat) who ever had the van before me put it in. I had the transmission rebuilt about six months ago, and the guy said who ever put it in, did a real good job. I'm happy with it,