PDA

View Full Version : Doors?

1-maddog
05-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Hey Guys & Gals,
Next question, are the side doors interchangeable with the rear doors?
I have windows in the doors on the side but no windows in the rear doors.
I would like to change them around and I acually have but they don't match the door jams real well.
I've messed with the hinges trying to get a better seal but there just not quite right.
Any input would be great.

Gary Ruissen
05-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Hello 1-Maddog,

I am not an authority on the subject but I will tell you what I know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in with more info. As far as I know, the answer is yes, the side and rear barn doors are interchangeable. I have also read that the "fit" isn't always perfect and you will have to do a lot of adjusting. The hinges once removed from both the van and the doors will give you some grief re-installing. Make sure you have the left & right and the upper & lower hinges correct as well as oriented the right way. A second set of hands is almost a must. Good luck with your project.

Gary

chester42
05-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I have 5 doors froma 68 on my 64 with little or no noticable difference beyond the side marker lights on front doors

BvrWally
05-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes, they are interchangeable! I gave these side doors to a good friend for his son's Early, as I placed a gull wing on mine and did not need them any longer. I had them stored at a friend's place, and he didn't want them around any longer and needed the space.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/BvrWally/AlsNewAquisitionfromHotNasty.jpg

Vanner68
05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
You can put side doors on the rear, but if you put rear doors on the side your license plate will be on the side of your van!

Wookee
05-27-2012, 10:15 PM
they interchange.
if the rear doors on the van now have the factory tag and tag ligh holeas and stand offs these will have to be addressed.

I have the factory side doors that came on my van on the rear now.

I also smoothed mine out.

Going this route you can remount you tag in a unique fashion or move it to a different location.
Your skill level is your only limitation there.
Yes getting these to align to your satisfaction can be labor intensive.
The solid side doors Psycho Hill billy located for me are holding up great.......

I am still running the factory door handles on the inside.......
I was looking at the gaps today and these doors have moved since I took this picture.

........Wookee

Vanner68
05-27-2012, 10:37 PM
My doors on my 68 are all original to the van. They don't line up worth a damn either. Even the vans in the 68 ChevyVan sales brochure have uneven gaps and waves.

These were work trucks, esthetics weren't as important.

Wookee
05-27-2012, 11:00 PM
ihave all ready taken a set off of a parts vanthat look good hung them on another van and had to really work them to get them to look OK.

You also have to remember they did not have strict tolerances back them and no computers to help them with the assembly process
Compared to today's robot assisted assembly lines, these Vans were almost hand built...

G Mans yellow gen 2 gen has the nicest aligned doors I have seen to date.......

Low mileage Ex fire department van helps a lot.......
His doors have that "new van" feel to them when you close them......

........Wookee

Vanner68
05-27-2012, 11:16 PM
ihave all ready taken a set off of a parts vanthat look good hung them on another van and had to really work them to get them to look OK.

You also have to remember they did not have strict tolerances back them and no computers to help them with the assembly process
Compared to today's robot assisted assembly lines, these Vans were almost hand built...

G Mans yellow gen 2 gen has the nicest aligned doors I have seen to date.......

Low mileage Ex fire department van helps a lot.......
His doors have that "new van" feel to them when you close them......

........Wookee
Mine have always had a wide gap between the side doors, and tight gap between the doors and body. Not sure how I'm going to address that....

planetvear
05-28-2012, 08:06 AM
you can beat on them and adjust til the cows come home and some doors will just not cooperate. i swear some door sets are different than others. we did the best we could with mine, which no1rascal was kind enough to find for me in nj, but i could not make them fit to my satisfaction. since i'm not a show van person, i will live with some misalignment. the alternate is usually adding some material to the center seam to close it up.

1-maddog
05-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys & gals,
That really helps alot, that was what I thought.
Only makes sense from a production stand point.
Produce one product that can be used in two application.
I'm close to once-ing over the doors & reinstalling them & I'll just work them as best as I can.
Coming up on one year with this project, I'll post some 'one year progress' pictures in about a month.
thanks again for all your help.

Wookee
05-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Mine have always had a wide gap between the side doors, and tight gap between the doors and body. Not sure how I'm going to address that....

The way I closed my gaps up,was to close a piece of ply wood between the door and the door opening.
start at 1/2 and work your way thicker.
In the past I have also had to use a die grinder and open up the mounting holes in the doors them selves to get them right.
To get the ones perfect on the "Beast" it would require me to have to cut a couple of releaf cuts in the inner frame work, move it where I want it and weld them up.....

.......Wookee

1-maddog
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey Van People,
i just tripped into a 1966 sport-van at the pick a part and the doors are in better shape than mine.
the big question is -
will 1966 (1st gen.) doors fit on a 1969 (2nd gen.)?
i mean all of them front, passenger, sides, rears?

Bear
06-06-2012, 06:29 PM
there all the same except the marker lights won,t be on 1th gen driver and pass doors

1-maddog
06-06-2012, 06:40 PM
thanks Bear,
I guess i'm buying some doors tomarrow

pan58head
06-06-2012, 09:01 PM
I figured out a way to get better gaps for the doors. When I pulled the hinges to rebuild them, I had the same issues with gaps. The problem with the hinges are that most of them are bent from the doors being opened to far. I put the hinge in my shop press and bent the hinge back alittle then put them back on and keep repeating. took awhile but the gaps are alot better now

Vanner68
06-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Sweet! Gotta try that!

Wookee
06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
65 to 67 doors also have a different style interior handle on them.......
68 and up doors have handles that are held in place with the new style clip in the back of the handle.

.........Wookee

carlover
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Guys & Gals,
Next question, are the side doors interchangeable with the rear doors?
I have windows in the doors on the side but no windows in the rear doors.
I would like to change them around and I acually have but they don't match the door jams real well.
I've messed with the hinges trying to get a better seal but there just not quite right.
Any input would be great.

I don't think it would work like this... its better to left your car like what it was... changing the doors is not a good idea!
http://www.niceledlights.com

carlover
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys & gals,
That really helps alot, that was what I thought.
Only makes sense from a production stand point.
Produce one product that can be used in two application.
I'm close to once-ing over the doors & reinstalling them & I'll just work them as best as I can.
Coming up on one year with this project, I'll post some 'one year progress' pictures in about a month.
thanks again for all your help.

The bulbs cannot be incinerated because they could become much more dangerous if the mercury becomes distributed through the air in smoke that may be inhaled.
http://www.niceledlights.com