PDA

View Full Version : Back On Track

MoonJoe
06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Well after a rough two months I now have a newly rebuilt transmission, a new 12si regulator that allows me to run all of my electronics and charge the battery and a re-cored radiator that doesn't leak all over the place and keeps the van plenty cool! I took two trial rides and early tomorrow I'm off to the beach to hopefully catch some waves. I am real excited to be on the road again!

Space Truckin
06-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Good for you , glad to hear it . These old girls can be frustrating at times , but when they are right there is nothing Better ! :-)

MoonJoe
06-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks Space Truckin,

Cue the Meatloaf, Two out of Three aint bad though.

Radiator works fine, transmission no problem. Electrical...not so much! It started giving me issues again, not enough power to run the signal and radio at the same time. Then not enough to power the radio at high volume as well. I also noticed the radio started cutting out over bumps (note to self, start researching shocks). I went to the beach for surf saw my mom 20 minutes from beach, back to beach for haircut, then local car show in Chino on the way home. The same issues on all segments of the trip today. 7 miles from home I was accelerating very fast (can't really call it racing) from a green light and just as I was going to over take the slug that had gotten in front of me at the light, total loss of power and smoke from under the dash.

Looks like my wiring gave out at the fuse block. Now I am not sure if the idiots who installed my radio screwed up, if I "over did it" with the 94 amp alternator, or if I am just suffering from 43 year old wiring. But whatever it is, I am thinking it is probably time for a rewire anyway based on the age and condition. Any thoughts out there?

Joe

MoonJoe
06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks Space Truckin,

Cue the Meatloaf, Two out of Three aint bad though.

Radiator works fine, transmission no problem. Electrical...not so much! It started giving me issues again, not enough power to run the signal and radio at the same time. Then not enough to power the radio at high volume as well. I also noticed the radio started cutting out over bumps (note to self, start researching shocks). I went to the beach for surf saw my mom 20 minutes from beach, back to beach for haircut, then local car show in Chino on the way home. The same issues on all segments of the trip today. 7 miles from home I was accelerating very fast (can't really call it racing) from a green light and just as I was going to over take the slug that had gotten in front of me at the light, total loss of power and smoke from under the dash.

Looks like my wiring gave out at the fuse block. Now I am not sure if the idiots who installed my radio screwed up, if I "over did it" with the 94 amp alternator, or if I am just suffering from 43 year old wiring. But whatever it is, I am thinking it is probably time for a rewire anyway based on the age and condition. Any thoughts out there?

Joe

Space Truckin
06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear that Joe , it was gremlin filled day for me also .My volt meter does not register shows discharge and my gas gauge is pegged full . I too am thinking 45yr old wiring just don't have the dinero for a rewire

Vanner68
06-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Old wiring is probably the root cause-and trying to push higher current through wiring designed for a lower current will make fire.

Cue Blue Oyster Cult:

Don't fear the wiring, get a diagram and if you can read a road map you can read a schematic.

MoonJoe
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Old wiring is probably the root cause-and trying to push higher current through wiring designed for a lower current will make fire.

Cue Blue Oyster Cult:

Don't fear the wiring, get a diagram and if you can read a road map you can read a schematic.

LOL, I love it 68! Yeah I talked to the garage mechanic at work today and he said the same thing, the old wiring just aint what she used to be. So since I was successful in installing the alternator and I'm not rolling in dough either, I am going to replace the harness my self. It will be cheaper and I need to burn some vacation time anyway. Besides, it really needs cleaning up. The next step is to just decide what brand and how many circuit's. I dream of AC, power windows and door locks someday.

planetvear
06-05-2012, 06:15 AM
there are a number of "universal" harnesses out there for sale on ebay and other places such as jegs and summit. i have installed most of them at one time or another and have found the quality to be similar. painless tends to be the more expensive of the bunch. e-z was fairly inexpensive as i recall and it worked great.
whatever harness you choose, take your time, plan your systems on paper and don't forget the extra things that you won't get with the kit such as speaker wires, amp wires, grounds, etc. do consider placing the fuse box where it is more accessible, such as on the wall behind the drivers or passenger seat, fabbed into the glove box or under the drivers seat. i did one in a hotrod a few years back that was in the glove box. i took the original cardboard glovebox liner to use as a template and fabbed one a bit larger out of aluminum. what a pleasure it was to check fuses in the comfort of the drivers seat when it was raining or dark. you'll get plenty of support here. pv

MoonJoe
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks PV! I never would have considered moving the fuse box, that's an interesting thought. I just put in the new cardboard glove box, but I am intrigued by the seat location.

Vanner68
06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Buy some wire, high quality terminals and make your own. The early vans wiring is pretty basic.

Here's a chart of the amperage capacity of different wire types. While not listed, I use MTW (Machine Tool Wire) because it remains flexible in a wide temperature range and is oil resistant.

http://www.jhlarson.com/ind_tables/conductor/table310-16.htm