PDA

View Full Version : GMC - Chevy?

SurfCat
04-16-2001, 11:54 AM
Can anyone relate to me the difference between the early GMC econolines and the Chevy econolines? as far as parts go,...??? i'm assuming GMC and Chevy use the same parts?
thanks a bunch,
Surfcat

sambowie
04-16-2001, 03:12 PM
Whats a chevy econoline, Not to be a ()
or nothing but, chevies are vans, gmc's are handivans, Dont worry when I first started getting into early gm models, I thought a sportvan, was a special chevy van, without all the windows. There is no difference between the two, except for engine specs and all that. GMC's were slightly cheaper though.
price wise, not quality wise.

[This message has been edited by smiley (edited April 16, 2001).]

smiley
04-16-2001, 03:14 PM
Fundamentally, the Chevy and GMC vans are the same. The GMCs may have had options available that weren't available on the Chevy. The parts and part numbers will be the same.

[This message has been edited by smiley (edited April 16, 2001).]

ahighdiver
04-16-2001, 04:27 PM
An Econoline is made by those people who make the Exploiter isn't it? I try to look the other way when I see one.

SurfCat
04-16-2001, 04:43 PM
ok ok,.. my bad,.. sorry for callin 'em econolines,.. thats just all ive ever heard them being refered to. any ways thanks for the info.
surfcat

tonye66
04-16-2001, 08:17 PM
Out of curiosity, what options were available on the Gmc's that weren't available on the Chevys.

Vanner68
04-16-2001, 08:42 PM
Generally heavier duty suspension and cooling, but not always.

SurfCat
04-19-2001, 11:02 AM
hey everyone,
i am now the proud owner of the '64 GMC Handi-Van. does anyone know a good place to order parts. things like rear-view mirrors, glove box, lap, and shoulder harnesses. it has Chevy hubcaps on it now, but i would like it get some GMC ones if anyone knows where i can find some.
thanks a bunch,
SurfCat

ahighdiver
04-19-2001, 07:01 PM
Congrats Surfcat;
You got a good one. What did you pay?
As far as parts go you just have to scout out all the wrecking yards within a hundred miles. Things like mirrors are hard to come by. I just finished installing my West Coast jr. mirrors. I paid over a hundred for them by the time they were restored. Just like the ones on the red van at the top of the page.
Look in the old postings for the type shoulder belt to use. You might find someone in the club with a glove box door Every van I've ever seen in the junk yard had one.
David.

SurfCat
04-20-2001, 11:21 AM
Right on! thanks ahighdiver.
oh by the way, i paid 1000.00 for it. a deal i couldnt refuse! i'll try and send some pics to the site asap.
thanks again,
surfcat

MoonJoe
04-20-2001, 07:42 PM
Hey Surfcat, when I go back to my local scrap heap I'll check the two vans there for a glove box cover. Sometime this week. Joe.

TurboVan
04-21-2001, 12:21 AM
Did you try that place in Santa Paula? --- TV

SurfCat
04-21-2001, 09:53 AM
yeah,
i actually went there yesterday, but the place was closed. im planning on going back today.
thanks,
SurfCat

SurfCat
04-25-2001, 06:23 PM
hey TurboVan,
i went to that new junk yard in Santa Paula the other day and found myself a glovebox door, and a side mirror arm for my '64 GMC. thanks for the advice.
SurfCat

TurboVan
04-25-2001, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I got some stuff off that brown `66, like the wing windows, turn signal assembly, and a side door. Reasonable prices too. Hey, I come down to Oxnard every day to work on boats, so we could meet wherever and swap stories. --- Bob

SurfCat
04-26-2001, 11:49 AM
hey TurboVan,
i work at the navy base in port hueneme. is the boat yard you work at near the Victoria gate?

TurboVan
04-27-2001, 12:38 AM
Well, I don't work at the boatyard(s), but I do work near them. Harbor Blvd (Chan. Isl. Harbor) to be exact, and sometimes Ventura Harbor. I have an independent mobile service, and I drive either the van or the ugliest yellow `72 Datsun 1200 you've ever seen, depending on how much stuff I need to carry. I know exactly where the Victoria gate is, though. I go by there almost every day to eat lunch at Pepe's on Silver Strand. We could meet there for lunch, or after work, whatever is easiest for you. --- TV