PDA

View Full Version : Oh No, Not Another HURRICANE !

SeaDog
08-31-2004, 09:55 AM
Looks like we're going to get hit again down here in Florida. This time the 68 is headed for a safe shelter, free of falling trees and branches. Hope everyone in the south is in the clear. May the Van Gods look down upon us!!

------------------
"Keep On Trucking"
Dan'o

wildave75
08-31-2004, 01:51 PM
I am supposed to be in Charleston SC for the weekend. Keeping quite the sharp eye on Francis, but I do not know what to wish for ... clobber Florida, Georgia, or lay waste to a twenty year anniversary weekend. Decisions, decisions ...
WD

gregw98
08-31-2004, 06:26 PM
You guys can have this one. Frances has my butt puckered. That is one seriously dangerous Hurricane. Looks too much like Andrew, which after destroying Homestead headed to us here in south LA. They are saying if this one hits New Orleans direct, there will be 20 feet of water in the city. And will take 9 months to a year to pump all the water out of here. We are 12 feet below sea level and 20 feet below the Mississippi river. This one is scarey.
greg

[This message has been edited by gregw98 (edited August 31, 2004).]

Vanner68
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Wow, from New Orleans to Atlantis.....sux, dude.

At least all we worry about in Michigan is snow and the occasional tornado...

smudgeck
08-31-2004, 09:08 PM
Good Luck guys!! Hope everyone comes out of this one safe and sound!!

------------------
Peace!
Cris cristofery@cs.com
1967 Camper Van (http://groups.msn.com/vintagechevyvanclub2/2003northwestrally.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2895)

wheeler
08-31-2004, 11:40 PM
I KNOW WHAT EVERYONE MEANS. WE GOT HIT HARD DOWN HERE IN LEE COUNTY. ALTHOUGH 20 MILES AWAY IN PUNTA GORDA GOT HIT ALOT WORSE. WE DON'T NEED TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE COME THROUGH HERE IN QUITE A WHILE. I TOLD ONE OF MY DAUGHTERS, WHO IS BACK IN MILWAUKEE, THAT HER MOTHER'S NAMESAKE (FRANCES) IS GOING TO COME RIGHT THROUGH MY FRONT DOOR, OUT THE BACK, TURN AROUND AND DO IT AGAIN (DIVORCED).
I HOPE EVERYONE COMES THROUGH THIS WITH FLYING COLORS.

Dan Wilson
08-31-2004, 11:53 PM
I don't know guys, Earthquakes aren't any big deal like one of your Hurricanes or Tornadoes. The only thing is you generally don't know their coming so it freeks people out. What happened in Florida really sucked.
I hope this one and any others fizzle out before they can do any damage.

Joe Russin
09-01-2004, 07:27 AM
wheeler,click onto the third icon at the top of your post,edit /delete and you can remove the double post.Only you can do this........Wookee

SeaDog
09-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I passed on a generator last sunday, wish I would have jumped on it now! There is not a generator to be found in the county now! Some of my co-workers were without power for 2 weeks. I was lucky and got it back in 2 days, still a rough ride. The good news is, the wifes boss is letting me bring the 68 down and store it inside the warehouse !!!! Very Cool!! Since I might look funny driving it sown the road with no doors or windows I'm having it towed over! LOL !!

------------------
"Keep On Trucking"
Dan'o

gregw98
09-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Dan'O, I have a friend that goes to H/D or Lowes every year in June and buys a generator, then takes it back in late September. So far he hasn't even opened any of the boxes, judt takes them back for a refund. I don't have one either right now. Guess we can all just sit and wait to see where Francis will go.
greg

SeaDog
09-01-2004, 03:00 PM
I keep thinking I could use one for other stuff, like primitive truck-ins, but we don't see to many of those anymore. In the 20 years I've lived in Daytona we've only lost power a couple times and only for a day or two. I know if power is off longer than that I'd like to have one. More good news, work is letting us off today to get ready for the storm (with pay), whaawhoooo! I think ??

------------------
"Keep On Trucking"
Dan'o

wheeler
09-02-2004, 05:33 AM
THANKS WOOKEE! IT'S NOT VERY HARD WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Joe Russin
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
youre welcome wheeler......now if you can figure out how to work the "cap lock" button you will fit right in........Wookee

wheeler
09-02-2004, 10:25 PM
I ALMOST ALWAYS USE CAPS. IF I DON'T, YOU'LL SEE EVERYTHING IN SMALL LETTERS, BECAUSE I FORGET TO CAPITALIZE WHEN IT IS NEEDED. NOW, IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT MUCH, I'LL DO WHAT I CAN to ease your pain.

P.S. I ALSO PRINT EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS WHEN I WRITE. haven't scripted since grade school.

leadfoot
09-03-2004, 12:13 AM
it's like holding a door open for a pretty girl ,,, it's polite
VAN~ON

gregw98
09-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Most people are use to reading in lowercase letters. All lowercase is a lot easier to read than all upper case because we are accustom to seeing it. Isn't all cps SHOUTING.
greg

wheeler
09-03-2004, 08:32 AM
IS'T IT JUST AS POLITE TO OPEN THE DOOR FOR AN UGLY WOMAN?.I THOUGHT VANNERS WERE INDIVIDUALISTS. NOT FOLLOWING EVERYONE ELSE? I'VE HAD VANS SINCE THE 70'S AND YOU DON'T FIND ANY TWO ALIKE.(UNLESS YOU PURCHASE A CUSTOM FROM A DEALER). I WAS GOING TO ACTUALLY JOIN YOUR CLUB THIS WEEK, BUT NOW I HAVE RESERVATIONS. I GUESS YOU DON'T CARE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT FROM THE MASSES. I GUESS I'VE BEEN A REBEL (INDIVIDUALIST) ALL MY LIFE.

MoonJoe
09-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Ahhhh Wheeler take it easy....we are all individuals here. I don't think your the only one who writes in all caps here anyway. I also have a buddy who only writes in lower case. I think it's because he doesn't know when to capitalize either and he is an engineer! Except for Pat(The new teacher and all) here I don't think too many of us write at too high of a level anyway. I was taught that when you do write to an audience hit them at the 8th grade level, so no worries, your doing fine! What counts to me is tone, content and then grammar. I have a habit of leaving words out and without spellcheck you can probably see that I need help too!

Welcome!

Joe

gregw98
09-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Wheeler, no one is jumping on you, just saying it is easier to read your post if they are not in all caps. If you want to use all caps, that is cool too. Hang in there, everyone is just kidding with you.
greg

Joe Russin
09-03-2004, 09:34 AM
wheeler sorry if I offened you......I was trying to relate to you.I am very new at this computer thing and typing my self.Most every thing I have learned have been self taught.......I did take a typing class but still have a hard time remembering were all the keys are at.
I was only trying to help and inject a little humor at the same time......Wookee

RipVanArkie
09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
So, is there any news on the HURRICANE?

------------------
Later,
Rip
64 ChevyVan 90 window van
69 ChevyVan 108 panel

v8corvair
09-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Breaker breaker this is the green weenie, anyone heard from wheeler? Come in wheeler come in. Need more Florida vanners , Do you copy?

------------------

GREEN WEENIE

wheeler
09-03-2004, 02:27 PM
see! you guys can give it, but not take it either. i was't getting upset, i was getti9ng even on the same level as you were giving it to me. believe me, i have been around a long time and have learned to take heat or get out of the furnace. i was planning on joining your club no matter what. i have had my 69 90" for fourteen years. am now starting on body work.(i know nothing) bought a wire welder and haven't welded in forty years.
SORRY, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT IS EASIER TO READ, THAN CAPS.

aka Trebor
09-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Hey wheeler Im with you on the all caps being easier to read Im old and cant see all that well. I caught all kind of grief for not knowing that all caps is "yelling".
There is a way to adjust the screen settings so that the printing is bigger. Im getting better at this computer stuff I can now type with BOTH thumbs!

wheeler
09-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I'M WITH YOU, IN THAT OLDER GROUP, I MEAN. OUR HEARING ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE. I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE TO YELL TO GET HEARD OVER EVERYONE ELSES TALKING.

Vanner68
09-03-2004, 04:14 PM
yOU COULD ALWAYS TYPE LIKE THIS. rEVERSE CAPS. iT'S FUN, AND rEALLY aNNOYING!

Jack A. Yager
09-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Haven!t written for a long time. Now I`m sitting here just waiting for a major hurricane to run over the top of us. House is ready. got plenty of food and water. nothing to do but wait. Van is getting close to paint. dash and dog house is done top is painted. I have it in a shop about 5 miles from the house. Not Hurricans safe. Nothing I can do for her. After 10 years of work I hope Hurricans Frances lets me finish her. Jack

------------------
ROV66

Joe Russin
09-05-2004, 10:56 AM
I have been watching the damage this strorm is causing on MSN on TV.This morning they were saying these people have another 18 hours to go before the storm clears out.
As with other tragedies you want to help but are limited to what you can do.....
Here was my idea if you need something that is in short supplie down there that can be mailed to you.Let us know.Hopfully it will get to you in a timley fashon........Wookee

Vanner68
09-05-2004, 11:39 AM
It would likely be faster than Red Cross, and more likely to be what you need...

gregw98
09-05-2004, 09:17 PM
I don't think to highly of the Red Cross, especially after 9-11. They were taking up money by the buckets full and the poor people of NYC never saw that money, yet the director of the Red Cross is drawing over $200,000 a year. Once they restructure their policies, I'll be glad to give again.
greg

Joe Russin
09-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Stuff like chain saw blades could not be bought around here for about a month after Isabell.Tarps are another thing that might become scarce.That kind of stuff could be bought here.Sent down there farly easily.......Wookee

smudgeck
09-06-2004, 10:34 AM
I totally agree Wookie, If anyone needs something, just holler!!

------------------
Peace!
Cris cristofery@cs.com
1967 Camper Van (http://groups.msn.com/vintagechevyvanclub2/2003northwestrally.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2895)

SeaDog
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
OK, we're back! We didn't leave, but we're back online. I had to unplug the computer during the storm, didn't want to blow-up the new emachine.
We had less damage to our house than we did with Charley, we even got to keep power all storm long, a big plus, nothing like watching a hurricane pass you by on TV. I took a ride down A1A (beachside) yesterday, things there are pretty well wrecked, if your planning a vacation hold off for a couple months!!

------------------
"Keep On Trucking"
Dan'o