PDA

View Full Version : A Day at the Beach!

BvrWally
07-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Mac spent quite a few hours with me yesterday, getting my "Early" off of the "Jack Stands"!!!!! 5 years was way too long!!! We tested the rear disc, made some adjustments to the e-brake cable, etc.! Here are the results.....remember now...NO ONE HAS EVER DRIVEN THIS VAN, BUT ME!!!!!
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/BvrWally2/Van%20Natz%202012/MacdrivingHotNasty.jpg

BILLS66
07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Bvrwally,Great to see your van out and ready to roll you must be excited ! Bill

66NO-DICE
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Hip Hip Hooray!!!, Hip Hip Hooray!!!............Hey....... I know that dude! Great job!!! Would you care to explain or share what the "fix" turned out to be?...........Anyway.......great to see you....finally....back on the road. Happy Vanning!!!
66NO-DICE

66NO-DICE
07-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh.....BTW......Does she stop? How is the pedal?

macsdoghouse
07-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Eddie. It stops well.pedal height is good.when we test drove it and hit em hard,items in the back ended up front. I think he needs to bench bleed the M/C again.and bleed out the whole system.lost the pedal a few times."weird".the van is staying at home,it will not make the nats this year. But its on the right track.if I had a little more time to work on it,I think I could of convinced him to bring it.he was left with a "to do"list from me. So lets all keep on him!!! He needs coaxing,and a little discipline...LOL!!
Mac...

66NO-DICE
07-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Chris,
I'm so glad you stopped by and gave BvrWally a hand with his brakes. BTW, bench bleeding is a "MUST", since the stroke of the master cylinder is greater than that of the breaking system and if you don't bench bleed, you will "NEVER" get rid of the air from the master cylinder unless you bench bleed first, it will always seem to produce a bubble of air......."truely Ripply's"

macsdoghouse
07-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Diane and I were 10 miles into our voyage up north when our brakes started dragging.had to turn back. Installed Corvette master cylinder and shaved off 3/16 off the push rod."that was the problem".3hrs later we were back on the road.no problems.since then.post more later gotta go

m1dadio
07-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Like Mac and ND are saying , you must gett all the air out of the master by bench bleading just before installation.

The brake pedal "sometimes" dropping for no appearant reason is likely a bad master. Especialy if it has been unused for a long time with air and fluid in it. It probobly has a rusty spot in the master cylinder bore. That would make for unexpected and inconsistant suden pedal drop.

Maybe BV should get a new master, bench blead it , intsall it and emediatly bleed the whole sytem a few times.

M1D

macsdoghouse
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Bw told me last night that his van will be at the nationals in ohio next year so let's all keep on him. Having a great time here at the nationals wish you all were here hope you can all make it next year!!!
MAC...

BvrWally
07-16-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm totally grateful that Mac made the stop and stay at our home on his way to the Van Nationals! With his assistance and a little elbow grease, we managed to get the Early off of the jack stands and out my garage! I will take his advice and pull the MC out and "Bench Bleed" it and replace it after that. That should stop the intermittent peddle drop?! Also I have to take the rod off, that connects to the parking brake equalizer bar and thread it a little more, so as to get more adjustment of the rear disc brakes, so that they hold when I pull the lever. My biggest problem is finding the time to do so with this job I have. Mac did a tremendous job and without him, this would have taken me more time! What he has done to his motor compartment, in the way of airflow and carburetor air flow, I am hoping to mimic! We are lucky to have him on this site as a member!!!! He is a wealth of information & mechanical talent!!! :)

planetvear
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
bw, we're holding you to the 2013 nats.

BvrWally
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I got a neighbor to shoot this photo of our "Honored" guests from Alabama, on their trip to the 40th Van Nationals! I guess we should have hung out the VCVC Banner, but we forgot to do so???? lol
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/BvrWally2/Van%20Natz%202012/7July2012attheBeach.jpg

Funny story....a neighbor asked me where the Harley's were that he had heard the evening before?? I told him it was Mac pulling in with his 68 GMC Van over there in the parking spot!!!!!! He did not believe it!!!!!!!!!! lol

macsdoghouse
07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Before our journey...

macsdoghouse
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
TESTING...

panelmanrd
07-21-2012, 07:41 PM
hey mac what is the name and or part # of the sealer that you use on the windshild rubber? I got one to put in mine.
I see ya made it home. Nats was a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

macsdoghouse
07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
It's 3m bedding and glazing compound part number 8509. Yes it was a blast and it was a pleasure to work with you on the overhauling van. diane and I made it home just fine no problems at all. all the van asked for was a couple quarts oil. hope we see you soon
MAC...

macsdoghouse
07-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Did you end up with bens windshield???