PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Reffugees

Warlock
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Just Checking to see if our people down on the Gulf Coast are alright?

macsdoghouse
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Yea we are all alright, Dodged another bullet!!! Thanks man!!!
MAC...

BvrWally
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
That is real good to hear! I was thinking of you guys all weekend!
B.W.

gregw98
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Well that certainly sucked. Drove 840 miles in 3 days and spend about 250 bucks. I'll never leave again. The eye passed over Shreveport and I bailed out and headed home. I took back roads up there and back and really didn't encounter any traffic problems. My neighbor left late and it took him 7 hours to go 23 miles. I didn't get any damage, just a few branches and lots of leaves. Finally got the yard all clean, now have to wait and see what "Ike" and "Josephine" do.
greg

Warlock
09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
We ought to rename Josephine to Tina and then we know what will happen. Ike and Tina will fight untill Ike dies.

gregw98
09-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Good one Warlock, I like that idea. It ain't looking good ---- again.

oo3
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
yes gustav was a pain, but in the new orleans area i would say it wasnt even 1/2 the storm as katrina - i had more problems with things not storm related - just a few - couple weeks ago computer takes a crap - just borrowed a loaner - my car has had a little air in the clutch line for about a month - no luck in bleeding but i had no problem driving and no leaks - well saturday before the storm it sucks in a bunch more air and wont bleed out and cant drive it - ( no parts stores open at this point) - i put about 16 gallons of gas in the van thinking if i need to siphon some gas after the storm or need to drive it i can - i had never put more than about 5 gallons before because i have not driven it much and didnt want gas to go bad - well of course now i find there is a leak - replaced a short piece of hose - took care of most of it - i find a very small leak that someone had tried to put some stuff on - it would wet the tank but not drop on the driveway - we leave sunday to hammond, about 40 miles north - storm monday and back in tuesday morning - lots of clean up but no house damage - thursday was a good day - found a carquest that had a clutch master cylinder - installed and fixed - power was turned on at my house - they delivered mail and picked up trash! - and i found a taco truck open - sometimes its the seemingly little things that make a day! - oo3

gregw98
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Rusty, you are right about the little things. I was in Slidell (25 miles N. of N.O.) after Katrina for about a year. Nothing was open for the first 10 weeks. We had been eating MREs and Red Cross food only. My sister came back from the post office and said she had a surprise. She opens the truck door and there sit 6 bags of Burger King food, Whoopers, fries, nd Cokes. I swear, my eyes filled with tears and I had never in my life tasted any food that tasted better than that. I am a burger freak, but that one still ranks at the top of my list as the best burger that I have ever eaten.
greg

Codysdad6221
09-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Glad everyone made it thru. Hope the bullets keep missing you all...

Chris

smiley
09-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I went to Nashville for Gustav. Nashville is wonderful.

Everyone I know went back home last week, but I stayed in Nashville with an eye on Ike. Looks like everyone may be leaving again in a days.

If I could just get Speed here with me, I think I'd stay here permanently. New Orleans is nice, but it's just not worth all this anymore.

gregw98
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Amazing Smiley, my neighbor moved to Nashville 3 weeks ago and he loves it. I am so jealous. I told him once he gets settled to let me know and I would come visit and take a tour of the countryside. I am also thinking I might like Charlotte or Chattanooga. Tired of the worry, tired of running. Okay guys, I'll need 3 drivers for a long weekend.
greg