• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanner68
    VCVC Charter Member
    • May 2000

Van Safety

I'm sure this is on everyone's mind after Joe and Jessica's accident. Or perhaps even as long ago as Wookee's accident.

I am very glad that I installed 3 point seat belts. I recommend that everyone else do the same.

Sit in your van, and put the lap belt on. Now lean forward as far as you can. Whatever contacts your body is going to do so violently in a crash.

I'm sure Wookee will agree, his racing harness prevented worse injury.

If you run an overhead console, make sure it's far enough away that your head cannot hit it.

Make sure you have all your seat brackets attached and bolted firmly to the seat and mount points.

Our vans are not inherently unsafe, but sometimes the way we assemble them or use them decreases the level of safety.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6
  • Optik
    VCVC Member
    • Jul 2003

One thing I learned from my incident last week - the e-brake is a necessary safety item! I'm glad I'd gone and taken it all apart earlier this year and cleaned and lubed and adjusted everything into good working order. It surely saved me from grinding into merging traffic!
    -Tim
    =============================================
    Tim Henderson
    Cincinnati, OH
    1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
    1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

Comment

• jrinaman
      VCVC Member
      • Apr 2011

3 point seat belts on the list, anyone selling a set? installed e-brake 2 weeks ago but needs to be tighter. i kept a fire extinguisher in the van since i have owned it.
      '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• Vanner68
        VCVC Charter Member
        • May 2000

This is what I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-POINT-SEAT...item4ac6bba515
        Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• lvjjj
          VCVC Member
          • Sep 2007

[QUOTE=Optik;173380]One thing I learned from my incident last week - the e-brake is a necessary safety item! I'm glad I'd gone and taken it all apart earlier this year and cleaned and lubed and adjusted everything into good working order. It surely saved me from grinding into merging traffic!
          -Tim[/QUOTE Amen to that Tim. Several years ago I was riding the brakes as we were descending a steep, narrow two lane road leading to the Mt. St. Helens volcano site. One of the front brake cylinders completely blew out and almost ripped the steering wheel out of my hands. From there on down it was low gear and emergency brake. Glad it worked good.
          LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
          1965, 292, TH350
          purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Comment

• Optik
            VCVC Member
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by jrinaman View Post
            i kept a fire extinguisher in the van since i have owned it.
            Probably the second most important safety item after seat belts, IMO.
            Tim Henderson
            Cincinnati, OH

Comment

• Space Truckin
              VCVC Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Optik View Post
              Probably the second most important safety item after seat belts, IMO.
              Ditto
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space..JM2C...hehehe
              Steve

1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
              350 SBC 260hp/ 350tq, MSD HEI, Holley 4150, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:36 posi

1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
              383 Stroker 440hp/ 480tq, MSD 6AL/ HEI, FiTech, Hooker Full length Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:73/ Eaton Truetrac, "Cruiseaire" Original

Comment

• Wookee
                VCVC Member
                • Oct 2002

when I was ready to put the "Beast" on the road and was going with a performance theme.
                I bought a Simpson Racing harness from Summit Racing.
                I also felt that If i was going to go fast in this van.I wanted more protection than what a 3 point harness could provide
                I never got around to installing the shoulder harnesses.I do have the heavy duty lap belts installed.
                After my incident.I herd the police talking one officer ask how bad I was hurt..
                The paramedic told him my van had a set of racing seat belts in stalled.My blood sugar was very low and that i received no injures from the accident.

As unsafe as these vans look to some people.
                There are been quite a few early owners that had been in some pretty bad wrecks and walked away with just bumps bruises and a damaged ego.
                The other good thing is when most of us receive these old girls they are in need of brake/front end work.
                This is one of the first major project that gets taken care of.
                This in it's self help to make these vans a little safer.

One major project on the to do list before the Beast gets back on the road is to install better front seats.Along with the rest of my racing harness.
                I do trust the structural integrity of these old girls enough that if I do get into a severe accident situation it will protect me as long as me butt is strapped into my seat.

We all have to share the road with so many careless drivers we need to keep our rides a little safer to help protect US from THEM.

.........Wookee
                Last edited by Wookee; 07-18-2013, 09:42 AM.
                Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• bowtied
                  Certifiable Vanatic
                  • Jun 2008

Those racing belts have a great feel but IMO the shoulder straps are not for street use. They have to be tight to do any good, then you have NO mobility to turn and look safely around for traffic. Try turning your head without your shoulders. A retractable shoulder strap is the way to go and really should be use with a headrest. I had the full 5 point harness in my '55 and never used anything but the lap belt. I also used the "cam-lock" which was really easy to buckle compared to the "lever" style. My plans are for a small padded headrest and 3-point retractable belt, just can't seem to find the belt in light turquoise!!

Comment

• ExEarlyVanner
                    VCVC Member
                    • Nov 2004

Safty FIRST

Gregg you beat me to it GREAT POST was going to let the Joe and Jess dust settle a little before bring it up. In these vans a three point seat belt is a MUST HAVE in both front seats if you DON'T HAVE THEM get them NOW it is a small price to pay for SAFETY you may just save your life and that of your loved ones!!! YES you have just been NICELY YELLED AT!!!

Also this is a shout out to R Collins are YOU still using those KITCHEN CHAIRS/BAR STOOLS as front seats in your VAN !!!?????????? IF YES the offer still stands for a pair of FREE used S10 seats for your van they are located in Maryland NY about 40 miles from your dad's house I am there most weekends

Ken
                    68 90 6cyl three speed

Comment

• Optik
                      VCVC Member
                      • Jul 2003

IMO one of the great design features of our earlies is the U-shaped framerails running the entire length of the van from front to rear bumpers. I believe this gives them much greater strength than a C-shaped rail, especially in a front or rear collision. I was rear-ended once at about 30mph by a guy in a 90's Mercury minivan. The ONLY damage to my van was it bent the bumper in about an inch in-between the frame mounts. They guys minivan was completely totaled, with damage extending from the front all the way to the windshield. The entire front end was crumpled and just absolutely mangled. My passenger and I were uninjured, but we only had on lap belts. We were riding in front seats that I took from a Porsche 914. These seats are a high-back, steel-reinforced, fiberglass bucket and I love them. I WILL be installing 3-pt belts in both of my vans ASAP, however.
                      Tim Henderson
                      Cincinnati, OH

Comment

• kookykrispy
                        VCVC Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vanner68 View Post
                        Do those retract? I don't want to use something that is all loose and flops around when not in use

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
                        '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
                        '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
                        Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Optik
                          VCVC Member
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by kookykrispy View Post

Do those retract? I don't want to use something that is all loose and flops around when not in use
                          Weren't you going to check on these next time you were on the base? I would love to hear a first hand report on them and how they are supposed to be mounted in the original application, please.
                          Thanks!
                          -Tim
                          Tim Henderson
                          Cincinnati, OH

Comment

• kookykrispy
                            VCVC Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Optik View Post
                            Weren't you going to check on these next time you were on the base? I would love to hear a first hand report on them and how they are supposed to be mounted in the original application, please.
                            Thanks!
                            -Tim
                            I was just standing right next to a humvee last weekend and I forgot to look! I'll check em out and maybe get a couple pics next time I am out there.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
                            '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
                            '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
                            Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Slowleak
                              Van Addict
                              • Dec 2010

couldn't agree more with Bowtied: racing belts are made for a racing, not for fashion. I made the mistake of getting 3 point non-retractable belts (because I'm cheap) they pose the same problem as racing belts - there's no 'give' for the tasks of street driving. If I had known how much they would suck, I wouldn't have gotten them. My next project is getting some retractables - those ones in the ebay auction look pretty nice - and then welding in some bracing for the top mount on the b pillar. I figure some sort of triangulation will handle more force than the way it is set up now. I will of course post pics!
                              Last edited by Slowleak; 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X