• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkeykongking
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • Jan 2013

Welding machine recommendation

Sorry, this is not 100% van related.

I want to learn how to weld. My first project will be transforming a mini bike into a farting wild boar. The goal is to get good enough to build a foldable passenger bench seat in the van.

My budget for the machine is under $500. Something easy and not explosive dangerous.

I have 110v in my garage and no grounding in the electric outlet.
    If it's important, i can have an electrician come by and fix that problem.

Someone recommended the LINCOLN ELECTRIC MIG SP135T.
    What do you guys think? Any specific brand or model? Craigslist? Tips & tricks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	453819
    1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension
  • Floorman
    VCVC Member
    • Jul 2011

I just took a welding class last year. I have no previous experience. I bought this http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html I took it in to class. The instructor wanted to try it out. We set it up, hook to argon gas and started to weld away. He has a Lincoln 135 and told me if he knew about this welder he would have saved some money and bought one of these. He said it welded better than his lincoln. Check it out.
    Andrew
    sigpic
    69 Display, 250 i6, 3 on the tree.

Comment

• Vanner68
      VCVC Charter Member
      • May 2000

I got mine at a pawn shop for $225.

It's a Dayton (Grainger house brand) made by Century. Has stitch and spot weld functions, but requires 220v

If you can get 220v in your garage, you can get a much better welder. 110v welders often have a low duty cycle, which means you have to stop welding and let it cool down,

Gasless absolutely sucks, don't even bother with it.

Don't be afraid to buy used, especially if you can see it work. If the welder has a Tweco gun, even better- you can get consumables at any welding store.
      Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• smiley
        Administrator
        • Apr 2000

I'm learning on a Hobart Handler 140 (110v). Very nice machine. Clean welds.
        1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
        1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• panelmanrd
          VCVC Member
          • Oct 2009

mig welding is pretty easy, if you can write you can learn to weld with this type, I have a 140 amp 115 volt snap on unit, I`v have it for about 20 years
          was one of the handiest tools I ever bought.
          with a cutoff tool and a mig and some imagination a person can make or fix just about anything.
          54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
          64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
          69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Comment

• monkeykongking
            Certifiable Vanatic
            • Jan 2013

Argon gas

Originally posted by Floorman View Post
            I just took a welding class last year. I have no previous experience. I bought this http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html I took it in to class. The instructor wanted to try it out. We set it up, hook to argon gas and started to weld away. He has a Lincoln 135 and told me if he knew about this welder he would have saved some money and bought one of these. He said it welded better than his lincoln. Check it out.

Argon gas is required for all Mig welder? Most Mig welder on craigslist doesn't come with the tank.
            1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

Comment

• smiley
              Administrator
              • Apr 2000

Originally posted by monkeykongking View Post
              Argon gas is required for all Mig welder? Most Mig welder on craigslist doesn't come with the tank.
              Your local welding supply place will sell you a tank with the proper mix. Not 100% argon. I ended up spending about $600 on everything.
              1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
              1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• kookykrispy
                VCVC Member
                • Oct 2002

I usually run a argon/co2 mix for welding mild steel.

Welders are usually bought and sold w/o the tank. You usually need to buy this separately. Most guys selling a mig welder are upgrading to something else, so they want to keep their tank.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
                '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
                '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
                Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Wookee
                  VCVC Member
                  • Oct 2002

Having made a very good living from welding steel together.Here are my thoughts
                  If you do go used try to stick with a brand name machine..
                  Lincoln
                  Hobart (Now a Miller elictric company)
                  Miller.
                  The consumables are contact tips,nozzles mig gun liners the MIG guns them selves,gas and bottles, and wire
                  These can be found at most welding supply houses locally.
                  Once you know what type of machnie you have they can be bought on line
                  The three i listed have been around for years replacement parts are easier to find for these machines.
                  They can also be serviced it needed.
                  All three offer a very nice brand new 110 volt mig in the 5 to 600 dollar price range.
                  Just like Ford Dodge and Chevy there are die hard fans of each brand.
                  I got close to 20 years of great service out of a 110 volt Lincon welder
                  Non gas machines can be bought both new and used cheaper.
                  Things like body sheet metal.Flux core(non gas ) is harder to work with for a novice.
                  It will work OK for 1/16 up to 3/16 thick sheet metal.
                  The mini bike frame you want to build is right at the top end of what you can safely weld with a 110 machine.
                  Do some research, find your local welding supply house.Stop in and talk to these guys.
                  They might even have a machine on hand they will let you test drive.
                  Taking a basic welding class at a local high school or community collage is also not a bad idea.
                  Welding is a very handy tool you can add to your tool belt.

Lincoln Electric is the world leader in the design, development and manufacture of arc welding products, automated joining, assembly and cutting systems, plasma & oxy-fuel cutting equipment.

........Wookee.
                  Last edited by Wookee; 10-19-2013, 08:49 AM.
                  Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• planetvear
                    VCVC Member
                    • May 2006

great advice joe.

Comment

• RAY68108
                      Certifiable Vanatic
                      • Oct 2007

A pipefitter at one of my stops suggested a TIG welder would be a good choice for automotive welding. Any thoughts or experience on this type welder?
                      Ray
                      68 108 panel parts donor
                      69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
                      68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Comment

• 108VanGuy
                        VCVC Member
                        • Jul 2004

VCV Welders

The wire feed welder is a good choice for our vans as that type of welder will weld most everything from a bumper hitch onto the frame down to thin body sheet metal. It is also the easiest to learn. The name MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding was changed to GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) when they started using non-inert gasses. MIG still sounds better and is a common term. For MIG welding you do need a bottle of shielding gas and depending on how hot, deep and cheap you want the molten puddle (100% CO2) verses how nice you want the weld to look from less spatter and a more stable, controlled arc (75% or more Argon and the rest CO2). These factors will determine which gas you use. You also have the option of using a flux cored wire in your MIG that would not require a shielding gas. This is typically used outdoors since the shielding gas is easily blown away with even a slight wind. Flux core welding is called FCAW (Flux Core Arc Welding). The best thing about these MIG welders is that they allow you to repair, create and build most anything you can dream up and afford. Plan on spending $500-$1500 for the gear to get started. You'll need a used welder, auto-darkening helmet, gloves, leathers, tank, regulators, consumable parts for the welder. You can find some bargains out there if you keep your eye on craigslist and have cash. If possible, take along a knowledgeable welder and plan on trying out the machine before you buy. A good reason why someone wants to sell their welder is that they bought a bigger better welder. The 120V welders are fair but wont really keep going for big jobs. When you turn them up for thick metal or bigger jobs, they will cycle off to cool down. When you get in the groove and are doing good welds, its a hassle to stop and wait for the machine. It tends to break your rhythm. A good Miller or Lincoln 220V welder around the 125 size is great for starting off. I would stay away from the Harbor Freight equipment. YouTube has a ton of videos on welding. Also try Welding Tips and Tricks.com. Oh and make sure you have a clear area to weld, cut and grind since the sparks can go flying when you have your head under a helmet and are looking straight ahead at something a foot away. Nothing can discourage a new welder more than burning your garage and VCV to the ground.
                        108VanGuy...
                        1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                        1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                        1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                        1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                        1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                        1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                        1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                        1969 G20 Shell

Comment

• Vanner68
                          VCVC Charter Member
                          • May 2000

Originally posted by RAY68108 View Post
                          A pipefitter at one of my stops suggested a TIG welder would be a good choice for automotive welding. Any thoughts or experience on this type welder?
                          Ray
                          TIG is great, provided you have thousands of dollars for equipment and hundreds of hours to master the technique. You will blow through a lot of consumables practicing.

MIG is more of a 'point and squirt' operation.

And having used a 110v gasless MIG for years, after stepping up to my current welder I will never go back to gasless. I will stick weld if I have to weld outdoors.
                          Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• 108VanGuy
                            VCVC Member
                            • Jul 2004

VCV Welders

TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) is also called GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) is more expensive for the equipment and consumables but produces the best looking welds. It also requires a much higher skill level since you have three things going on at the same time (filler metal, torch and "throttle"). The MIG has one button once you start welding and all the adjustments are on the machine. Some people are just really good at TIG right from the start while others (like me) struggle. TIG is not considered a beginners welder.
                            108VanGuy...
                            1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 ring 4 Spd. with OD, 2.73 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
                            1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan Owned since 76
                            1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
                            1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
                            1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
                            1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van"
                            1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.
                            1969 G20 Shell

Comment

• Kustomizer
                              VCVC Member
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by smiley View Post
                              I'm learning on a Hobart Handler 140 (110v). Very nice machine. Clean welds.
                              I have a Hobart 140 or 145 and love it! Gas is a must, flux core welding sucks and is dirty as hell.

I took a welding class at my local tech college and was worth every penny! As for TIG, I'd own one if I could afford one, I liked it from the start and did pretty good with it, but some think it's tough. Getting the right penetration with a MIG isn't always the easiest either, both need a little practice, but can be mastered with a little time.
                              Last edited by Kustomizer; 10-19-2013, 10:16 AM.
                              1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
                              Lakeville, MN

Comment

Working...
                              X