PDA

View Full Version : Tell me Im pretty

sparky
12-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Both vans are feeling a little lonesome I guess being cooped up in the garage for a couple of months now. The 69 (g20 383) is the manly van and is hiding his true feelings, the 65(250) is a little more delicate. Work is progressing on the 65 as the 69 sits jealously by its side, new exhaust, cleaned rad,por 15 and more body work. As I shovel snow and wait for spring I an grateful to have an insulated garage and a pair of earlies to snuggle up to................................MERRY CHRISTMAS my VCVC ers and a HAPPY NEW YEAR

AutomaticAmie
12-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Same to you!

planetvear
12-21-2013, 01:53 PM
back at 'ya!

Wookee
12-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Over the years some bad ass custom vans came from above the Canadian border.
I was told personally by a builder and his friends.
"In the winter we have nothing better to do but hang out in a warm shop, drink lots of beer, and build vans......eh"

Have a great winter season.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

.........Wookee

sparky
12-22-2013, 11:38 AM
snow today

planetvear
12-22-2013, 12:46 PM
when i first started my build, we had a heavy snow storm very much like the snow in sparky's photo. a past owner had cut part of the roof ribs out where the factory interior lights mount in (one over the doghouse, one over the rear). when i headed out to the shop in the morning after the storm, i glanced at my van as i walked out. it didn't look right, but my mind was elsewhere. when i went to clear the snow off the van roof, i found out what had happened.
one of the the roof support ribs had failed, caved in under the weight of the snow, and dropped to about about 18" off the top of the doghouse. what a mess. from that point i kept a 2x4 inside between the roof and doghouse cover until we got to the bodywork. i ended up replacing some of the roof ribs (thanks primah donah) with used units and added extra material to them for strength. i even added an extra rib. i think i was gun-shy.
sparkys photo reminded me of that.

Vanner68
12-22-2013, 02:02 PM
snow today

Shoulda rolled that window up all the way, dude.

gregw98
12-23-2013, 02:23 AM
And too think it was 81 here yesterday. I would panic in snow like that.

http://www.vcvc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12771&stc=1&d=1387730143

Vanner68
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
And too think it was 81 here yesterday. I would panic in snow like that.

http://www.vcvc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12771&stc=1&d=1387730143
Trust me, even in Michigan if it was 81 degrees one day and snow like that the next, we would panic too.

Z-Machine (aka VanZack)
12-23-2013, 11:54 PM
when i first started my build, we had a heavy snow storm very much like the snow in sparky's photo. a past owner had cut part of the roof ribs out where the factory interior lights mount in (one over the doghouse, one over the rear). when i headed out to the shop in the morning after the storm, i glanced at my van as i walked out. it didn't look right, but my mind was elsewhere. when i went to clear the snow off the van roof, i found out what had happened.
one of the the roof support ribs had failed, caved in under the weight of the snow, and dropped to about about 18" off the top of the doghouse. what a mess. from that point i kept a 2x4 inside between the roof and doghouse cover until we got to the bodywork. i ended up replacing some of the roof ribs (thanks primah donah) with used units and added extra material to them for strength. i even added an extra rib. i think i was gun-shy.
sparkys photo reminded me of that.

I had a roof cave-in on one of my vans too. I was away on a job for months or years. I always figured too much snow piled up on it. I don't think there was anything wrong with the roof supports. Who knows, maybe some one decided to climb up and stand on it.

planetvear
12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
after that incident, every van i have had that may be left outside for any length of time in the winter gets the roof supported from the inside. i usually use a 12" square of 3/4" plywood on the inside of the roof and on the floor to spread the load out some too where i place the supports.
what you see for snow on sparkys vans is not too bad (weight-wise), but if it rains, now you have alot of weight. i personally would rather err on the side of caution and sleep well.