PDA

View Full Version : Present to Myself

gregw98
03-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I bought a new present 2 weeks ago and even surprised myself. I bought a Lincoln Pro Mig 140 welder. I think I am in love. All I have ever used was a cheap flux core welder and could spot weld with it and clean up a lot of slag. My new 110 volt welder does everything that I can foresee me needing a welder for. This could be maybe the best tool that I have ever purchased.
greg
http://images.lowes.com/product/015082/015082662381.jpg

leadfoot
03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
nice.. i have the 220 version but the same
you'll be real happy with it

108VanGuy
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Very nice unit. Maybe consider the purchase of an auto-darkening helmet. Makes it a little smoother on the start...108VanGuy

gotavan
03-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Greg your roof patch is on the way. You better practice on something else first. I'm one of the old welders at work and still don't use the auto helmets. I had an instructor 35 years ago that would weld with no helmet! Just shut his eyes and looked thru his eyelids. I think the fumes got to him after welding in the shipyards for too many years... I never forgot the first day in class he had 3 balloons one with oxygen, one with acetylene, and one with mix.. he poped them with a lit torch first one went POP second one went BOOM the third was a blast that sent the auto shop running for the exits

------------------
gotavan Dan
vannin since 1970

fustkarr
03-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Been thinkin' about doin' the same, flippin' back and forth between a plasma cutter and a mig welder. Like to know what your experiences/impressions are after the blush wears off.
Randy

Joe Russin
03-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Being a welder by trade I have always liked Lincoln Welders.
I have an older 110 unit here they have made a bunch of inprovements to them since I have bought mine.......
When you get your gas you can run straight CO2
I use the little more expensive ag25 mix.
this Argon Co2 mix runs a little hotter and cleaner.
An auto darkening shield is also a very nice addition.
The setting guide on the inside panel of your machine will get you close to where you need to be on your heat settings and then work from there.
Like other Skills out there "practice makes perfect".The more you weld the better you will get at it.......

Have fun........

........Wookee

greyfoxmc
03-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I have had a lincoln SP135 for a few years now.

Great little machine.

I, like Joe, use the CO2/ argon mix. Well worth the extra bucks.

Still leary about those auto darkening helmets.

Mike

leadfoot
03-10-2007, 03:02 PM
i have an auto dark helmet they are nice
trick is to have a nice bright overhead light though so you can see well enough
when it's not tinting
i once noticed sparks from a bic lighter are enough to trigger the tint,kinda cool
they are worth the bucks for one
, but still find myself using the handheld shield the most

Joe Russin
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I have been tempted to by one of the cheaper ones from Harbor Freight.Just to see if it works as nice as the expensive one that I bought a couple of years ago.

My eye sight is not as sharp as it was when I started welding at the ripe old age of 18.
A set of "cheater" lenses and my perscription glasses, my auto darkening shield and I can still hold my own.

Using an old style helmet almost seems primitive now.......

Somebody mentioned in another post.Invest in a good set of gloves and at least a cotton long sleave shirt.

Try welding in short sleeves and shorts like the guys a on TV you WILL wind up with a NASTY sunburn and wil be dancing when that slag ball runs down into your shoe......

........Wookee

gregw98
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I bought the H/F auto darkening helmit, $49.00 works great. But I too find myself using the handheld shield the most. Since the weather has gotten to the mid 70s here, I have put all my jeans away. T-shirt and shorts guy here and yes I have dropped a few glowing slag balls in my shoes and shorts. My face is peeling now from the instant sunburn I go last week. Even my eyelids are peeling. Watching too much American Chopper, I guess.
greg