PDA

View Full Version : hemmings newsletter

Dan Wilson
12-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey kids,check this out, one of you guys put this together? An article from Hemmings
e-weekly newsletter. It shows a picture of Surcats old van too!
Classic Cars
Vintage vans

What's bigger than a breadbox, but with roughly the same exterior design? An old van! Though the VW microbus has long been collectible, American vans of the 1960s and ’70s are catching on
It was only a matter of time until vans would become collectible. That icon from the Flower Power generation, whose utilitarian design made it the vehicle of choice for groovy hippies to make the scene in, is now being noticed by old-car enthusiasts in search of something different.
Vans from the 1960s and ’70s were produced in sizable numbers, so finding a decent example to restore shouldn’t be too difficult. If you would like to add a 1964-1970 Chevy or GMC van to your collection, then you first need to join the Vintage Chevy Van Club. Now celebrating its ninth year, the VCVC is open to all owners and enthusiasts who drive, restore, collect and just plain appreciate the striking design that has made these stylish vans so desirable.
For a mere $12 annual membership, you’ll receive a subscription to their newsletter and discounts on club merchandise. Visit their well-designed Web site at www.vcvc.org, (http://www.vcvc.org,) or write them at: Vintage Chevy Van Club, P.O. Box 992, Destrehan, Louisiana 70047
- By Richard Lentinello
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leadfoot
12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
bummer the address is wrong
-no news letter either
but any news is good news as long as it's not the police blotter http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

gregw98
12-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Richard Lentinello is the editor of Hemmings Motor News. I "Googled" his name and there are 100s of links.
greg

smiley
12-28-2006, 09:15 PM
That's nice. Yeah, I should go change the address on the site...right now.

The newsletters were pretty cool in the early days. For years, it was our lifeline for connecting more than a few people at a time. However, the moment the message board was implemented, the newsletters became obsolete.

weard-harold
12-28-2006, 09:47 PM
i wander why they keep calling use hippies all the Hippies i new and know drive V'W's or old school bus's I never saw a Hippie in a hot early chevy van with mag wheels and the *** up in the air with a big set of L-60-15 with side pipes blowing flames out. just my 2% worth...

smiley
12-28-2006, 10:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weard-harold:
i wander why they keep calling use hippies all the Hippies i new and know drive V'W's or old school bus's I never saw a Hippie in a hot early chevy van with mag wheels and the *** up in the air with a big set of L-60-15 with side pipes blowing flames out. just my 2% worth...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

gregw98
12-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Now hang on a second guys. I was a Hippie, still am. Except I now have more hair on my back than I do on my head.
greg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/gregw98/File0008.jpg

[This message has been edited by gregw98 (edited December 29, 2006).]

greyfoxmc
12-29-2006, 01:40 AM
http://www.hemmings.com/newsletter/newsletter.html

neo_pop_71
12-29-2006, 02:55 AM
That's pretty cool Greg!!!

I was 3 months old when that picture of you was taken...

Damn, people talk about a generation gap... whatever! Our vans bridge that gap!!! Maybe if more people... aw hell... who am I kidding??? I'm an old punker! I don't want people to "get into" our vans!!! I don't want to ever see a rotten piece of rusty sh*t (Chevy) van on Ebay goin' for $6,785.93... like a VW does!!! Screw those yuppies with fat bank accounts, trying to "renew" their youth! If that day ever happens... I won't be able to afford any parts to fix my sweet lil' rat job!

Just an opinion from "the fringe"... Peace! ! !

-DON-

Joe Russin
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
If we arn't Hippies we are riding with a mangy mut named Scooby Doo......

I can think of allot worse things to have people remember these vans by.
Vanning is and always will be on the outside fringes of the car culture.It takes a different type of person to be a vanner.
The cool thing is we are different and are PROUD OF IT........
So let the "others" set and wonder or buy a van and come on in see what real fun is all about............

.........Wookee

[This message has been edited by Joe Russin (edited December 29, 2006).]

neo_pop_71
12-30-2006, 03:44 AM
Hey everyone,
Wookee, I can dig what you are sayin' about bein' on the fringes of society... different or unique in some capacity. As an artist and a punker, not bein' the "norm" is all I have ever known. I'm damn stinking proud of that! I stick to my guns always!!!
I feel like the door is always open to new people and opportunities. However, as a high school teacher in So Cal, I hear an awful lot of silliness about the Vonage commercial... "gettin' high and f*ckin' in the back, if I had one of those vans!" - a student in my class.
I love my van! I know you love yours, everyone on here loves their van (I assume). There's an honesty that goes with the unique character of a "vanner". See, I have an uncle, Uncle Nasty, he's a biker. Uncle Nasty doesn't own a car, never has, likely never will. He is what I would consider a "real" biker. No one else touches his bike if something goes wrong, he knows how to and does fix it. Uncle Nasty can't stand "R.U.B.s", Rich Urban Bikers. You know, the stock broker types, with loads of cash who can buy anything but they don't know a damn thing about the bike that they're sittin' on. Uncle Nasty is sick of RUBs hitting him up at stop lights, "Nice bike, man!" I don't fault my uncle for being closed off. Those guys have no history, soul, or tact... they lack that honesty that big dollars can buy.
I say, come one... come all...but you better mean it! Don't walk all over our lifestyle! To me, vannin' isn't a hobby... at the least, it's an extension of who I am. I have integrity and I don't chase fashion or trends. Should our vans become hip culture, cool they deserve it... they are damn cool!!! I guess I just don't want to see some $25,000.00 early van, straight out of the body shop, and the owner doesn't know how to work the three on a tree thing.
That's just where my line is drawn, no offence intended, I just see things a little differently sometimes. Thankfully, not everyone is like me! In the end, I think we all kinda' balance out.
I really do love this website! Everyone is the coolest!!! Maybe that's what gets my hair up? Someone not paying respecting the history some members have with these vans. I can also see that someone else coming along, like me 3 years ago, also has a right to create their history. Sometimes it's hard to kick yourself in the *** , when your foot is in your mouth. OOPS... thanks guys!
Happy New Year!
-DON-

BZ
12-31-2006, 07:07 AM
Just want to say that my hair was longer than Gregs in 71, still have all of mine on top.LOL.
At least we had a "culture" (what ever that means) all advertising now constantly refrences back to our time for imagery to sell products to a new generation X, Y or Z,kind of sad that nothing revolutionary has happened since the 60's.
Peace and keep on trucking.....

------------------
Thanks, Ben
BZ,RZ & Cujo @ N.C. 66&69 ChevyVan

smiley
12-31-2006, 01:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BZ:
Just want to say that my hair was longer than Gregs in 71, still have all of mine on top.LOL.
At least we had a "culture" (what ever that means) all advertising now constantly refrences back to our time for imagery to sell products to a new generation X, Y or Z,kind of sad that nothing revolutionary has happened since the 60's.
Peace and keep on trucking.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Today's youth is so in tune with the idea of immediate self-gratification that they'll never know a revolution is needed until it's far too late. I believe they've mortgaged their very human spririt in exchange for video games.

Don't get me started...please.

chevy van 5150
01-07-2007, 03:33 AM
I just wanna be free to drive my machine without being hassled by the man...

smiley
01-07-2007, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevy van 5150:
I just wanna be free to drive my machine without being hassled by the man...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got "hassled" by the man last night.