PDA

View Full Version : no door

68chevyboy
03-25-2001, 08:14 PM
my dad doesent believe me at all when i say no doors are rare. does anybody have statistics? i have found a 68 gmc handibus no door 90'. im going to get it. how much is it worth and how rare? it has most parts, and its straight (two dents).

VankyPanky
03-25-2001, 08:30 PM
WOW! Straight - NO DOOR! Snap it up! According to John Gunnell's Chevrolet Truck book, in (1969 - 94%) of the vans had the side door option. That means approximately (6%) of the vans were NO DOORS in that year! They are Indeed RARE! Especially considering the few numbers of these vans found on the road today! Great FIND!

Vanner68
03-26-2001, 08:29 PM
So- how many 70 GMC no-doors with an automatic trans would there be?

Yeggster
03-27-2001, 09:06 AM
I don't have GMC figures here but to give you an idea there were about 3000 of each 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton TOTAL of all chevy G series vans built in 1970.....so useing the 4% figure that would be only 240 1970 CHEVY no doors......GMC's are much more rare....maybe only a quarter certianly not half.......i think it would be safe to estimate there were less than a hundred made in GMC trim......and maybe only 30 or 40

Yeggster

Vanner68
03-27-2001, 04:39 PM
And you've seen the one I bought from Ajax.....

Yeggster
03-27-2001, 05:44 PM

You bet!

It;s in pretty good shape eh!.....how do you like that small streering wheel?

Yeggster

AJAX
03-27-2001, 06:09 PM
THAT STEERING WHEEL IS ON THERE TO BUILD MUSCLES. DON'T BE AFRAID,JUST PUT SOME POPEYE ARMS INTO IT!!!

68chevyboy
03-28-2001, 02:17 PM
how much is it worth? and how many came with v-8s? see, i have a problem - i have my priorities all mixed up and im not sure what to do. i have a 70 chevelle i have grown slightly attatched to, that i would HAVE to get rid of to get the van. youve heard of it, and im not sure if i want to do it. my father said it would be extremely stupid to trade it for any van. , but i like the van better and it is rare, which i like even better, but that chevelle was the best deal i have ever heard of. how much do storage places charge to keep cars? or i could wait three years to buy the van, because its been there for a very long time but then i would be taking a chance, and i would kick myself later. -oh, what to do!

painterchris
03-28-2001, 02:49 PM
Well, that's a decision that only you can make, but I agree with your dad for a different reason: it's dumb to trade a good reliable car for a non-running project. It won't do you much good to have two project vehicles and still have to bum a ride everywhere. I wouldn't worry about anyone buying it. Even if they do, so what? You could find another one if you wanted. Personally, I think no-doors are idiotic, especially on a window van. It just makes it harder to climb into the back seat. I prefer to keep my vehicle functional, not fashionable. Of course, I'm one of the few people in this club that drives the van as primary transportation, not just for fun.
Later,
Andy.

Vanner68
03-28-2001, 03:05 PM
The no-doors are stylish NOW, but remember, they were utilitarian when new. I worked at a TV shop in the late 70's, the owner had a no-door before he got the 75 Chevy I drove. The no-door was set up with parts bins down both sides and the middle strip was carpeted for transport of customer's TV sets. It all depended on what line of work you were in.

Vanner68
03-28-2001, 03:12 PM
By the way, Ajax- the wheel adapter on that small wheel had 2 of the 3 bolts almost completely stripped out. I'm picking up a new adapter after I get the van inspected. that little wheel will keep folks from asking to borrow the van http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif Gotta admit, I'm pleased so far, and it drives much better than I expected. Can't wait to get er on the freeway and see how she handles at speed!

sambowie
03-28-2001, 04:51 PM
They made no-door sportvans and handi buses?
And painterchris, no doors are beautiful peices of work, They might of been idiotic back in the day, but lots of people appreciate a no-door, even if they were a couple hun cheaper than a regular panel.

painterchris
03-29-2001, 05:21 AM
I realize that people like no-doors because it gives you a clean, uninterrupted line from fron to rear on both sides of the van. This makes for a nice-looking restoration, street rod style. I just think n0-doors are dumb because, as I said, I actually drive my van every day. For me, it just makes the van less functional. Especially in a window van. How are you supposed to get to the back seats with no side doors? Stupid. Also, I live in The city and you can't always get access to the back doors, depending on where you park. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that some people would love that van.
Later,
Andy.

smiley
03-29-2001, 09:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there's no such thing as a Sportvan or Handibus with the "factory side door delete" option (no-door). It would defeat the functionality of rear seats.

I like the no-door vans, mainly because I'm not into hauling anything. I like the Sportvans, Handibuses, and Display vans, because your visibiliity is greatly increased.

68chevyboy
03-29-2001, 02:14 PM
wait a second- i just noticed the fact that all gmc handibuses were window vans, right? well, this one says "gmc" and "handibus" all over it, but it doesnt have windows. its a shorty too. it looks like a real no door to me, and it would be really hard to duplicate the factory look of a no door inside and out., is this possible? im confused now.

smiley
03-29-2001, 02:27 PM
Sounds like someone got a hold of some Handibus emblems.

tomschaner
03-29-2001, 02:59 PM
no door definitely gets a thumb up for looks and two less places to deal with as far as leaks are concerned.if any one out there is disgusted with there no door i'd be more then willing to help them out of there problem(thats if its in good shape).i'd be more then happy to swap for a side door van.