PDA

View Full Version : Drum hub

vcbp
09-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Hey buddy's,

I'm in the midst of installing some M1 Daddy-O's disk brake adapters. Great, right? Well, I discovered an outer bearing race that had gouged out the hub to nearly a sixteenth of an inch. Actually a guy that spoke machinist said it was about 90 thous. So, before I get it sleeved, I thought I'd try to find a replacement hub... Anybody?

Thanks all.

m1dadio
09-01-2016, 09:40 PM
replacements are easy

nearly every GM product with that bolt circle and drumbrakes from the early 60s to the mid 70s used the same hub.

I have a picture of the intercahnge list but I cant load it here , sorry. give me your email if you want it mailed to you

M1D

its in my photo bucket

http://s119.photobucket.com/user/m1dadio/media/DSCN0941-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

vcbp
09-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks Dadio,

I guess 'easy' is a relative term. My local parts stores are dumbfounded by this prospect...including NAPA. So you may be referring to wreckers. Fair enough. I left it with a retired machinist this afternoon. The plan is to remove the minimal amount of material and sleeve it. Hopefully that cuts the mustard.

Dr

vcbp
09-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Original Parts Group has a kit with both hubs including all bearings and hardware for 80 bucks. Great deal if they aren't Cheap bearings.

vcbp
09-10-2016, 06:21 PM
So, I nixed the machinist plan when I found the complete OPGI hub kit. They arrived. The bearings are Chinese. Also, they will not fit the rotors in the manner that M1 suggests. The outermost dimension is about a quarter of an inch smaller. The inner dimension which, as I understand it, you want to have fit snugly as well... leaves a gap of perhaps a sixty-fourth of an inch. The result is that small amount of movement, on the bench, contained by the lug bolts. So... I guess I'm back to hunting for hubs, or at least one, again. Good times.

vcbp
09-12-2016, 11:50 AM
As an update to anybody else that has the same issue as I'm having... you can go to Super Muscle Car Parts in Rancho Cordova, CA. They only want 100 bucks for a single used front hub. WTF?

panelmanrd
09-12-2016, 01:00 PM
are you looking for one hub or a pair that will work with m1dadio`s disc brake set up?

vcbp
09-14-2016, 03:25 PM
One of my existing is fine. The other is trash.

joyrde
09-14-2016, 08:50 PM
http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2011/03/Chevrolet-Front-Axle-Spindles/3696401.html

vcbp
09-21-2016, 12:53 AM
I finally got to speak with a veteran of the disc brake mod that assured me the small amount of gappage I was describing with the OPGI hubs was not an issue. Inconsequential. So, I have bolted them up. Still gotta do the brake lines. If you need new hubs, I'm satisfied with the OPGI units and you will spend less than you would for old ones. If anyone wants Chinese bearings, races, seals, caps, washers and castle nuts... I'll hook you up. Thanks again to the vcvc folks.