PDA

View Full Version : 1965 original L6 van

gfleduc
09-05-2016, 11:53 PM
Would anyone with a 1965 and the original 230 motor mind answering some questions?

Thanks in Advance

Gary

kookykrispy
09-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Don't mind at all. What are your questions?

gfleduc
09-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Hi kookykrispy,

Thank-you for replying. I working to find an original dated motor for my '65. In doing so, I would value some numbers to cross reference as to what is the correct date range.

If you can share, I would like to know the last five numbers of the van's vin number, engine casting date, engine cast number. Maybe a couple of other data points later.

If you are not sure where to get the numbers, I can send you photo's for reference.

Thank-you again

Gary

gfleduc@Hotmail.com

kookykrispy
09-06-2016, 04:45 PM
hmm,

well I'm on active military duty for the next few months so it will be awhile until I get back to my house to look at my vans again.

But I would say you could use any block & head combination that is late 1964 through approx. Oct. 1965. and be considered 'date code correct'

gfleduc
09-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Copy that on being away - Hope you stay safe - I will be glad for the information when you get back - I have not been flooded with responses yet!

kookykrispy
09-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Although you can sometimes document the build date of other models, I don't think there is any way to document the build date of a van. So basically, any engine in the 1965 model year range would be considered to be 'correct' for your van

Russell
09-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Hi kookykrispy,

Thank-you for replying. I working to find an original dated motor for my '65. In doing so, I would value some numbers to cross reference as to what is the correct date range.

If you can share, I would like to know the last five numbers of the van's vin number, engine casting date, engine cast number. Maybe a couple of other data points later.

If you are not sure where to get the numbers, I can send you photo's for reference.

Thank-you again

Gary

gfleduc@Hotmail.com
I have a '66 230 sitting in my garage I just pulled, if you can show where the numbers are I could give you the one's off the '66.
A few months ago I threw away a '65 engine because the block was cracked.
I also have a friend building a Nova with a '65 6 cyl. I could check numbers on.

Vantasia
09-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Hi, there are several online Chevy casting code list sites, here's few to browse, should give you the years for various blocks. There are also similar charts for Carter carbs, etc.

http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/browse/m/chevrolet/c/engine_blocks/t/Inline-6

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=356268

http://home.znet.com/c1937/Cast.htm

Here's one if you know the number, yopu can look up the year

http://www.adchevy.com/tools/castinglookup

So as you can see, there are many ways to find the info you seek... that being said, there are many exceptions, many year 194/230/250's shared the same casting block, the difference in displacement was in the rod lengths, piston sizes, cranks, heads, etc. but they all used the same block casting.... I'm not sure the VIN is related to the engine in these vans? Also, check the home page of this forum and see how to access the owner's registry where hundreds have listed their VIN's with engine sizes and other details. Ask the webmaster if you can browse that database...

gfleduc
09-07-2016, 10:15 PM
Thank-you a bunch guys for the continued feed back - I do have a plan! - There are at least a dozen items that are dated on the van. I am working towards indexing my vin and dated parts with the a few of the other original van numbers (I hopefully can get feedback from). I know some of us vanners "roll their eyes" but I do enjoy this aspect of restoring my van.

On the bigger picture and expanded plan for the vans, I believe I will be able to make a chart of Vin # vs Date. To me it will be fun to identify crossover point from "early" to "late" 1965 vans. If i do pick up the the task, it will need data points from others; but that will be a later request. FWIW - I did contact the GM Heritage Center but they did not have van data prior to 1977.

But for now I do hope to get some solid data from a few vans.

Thank-you kindly Gary

Vanner68
09-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Thanks for taking on this task!

As you have found out already, there is very little 'official' documentation from GM on these vans, they were just disposable work vehicles back when they were new.

Since the engines were utilized across GM's entire product line, there were no 'van specific' engines. Much of the mechanicals were 'borrowed' from the Nova line, so that would be a good place to research numbers/dates.

gfleduc
09-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Vanner68 Thank-you for the words - Getting the casting numbers etc so far is not the problem (Vantasia did expand my cross check reference library). What I really need from "our people" is real van data points - does not take much just the vin number and any one over a dozen date codes available.

So far basically just one van response from kookykrispy

I would gladly welcome more feedback - maybe after the weekend readers kick in.

Thank-you Take care

Gary

SAVAGE
09-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Gary are you looking for vin # on van & # on motor??

Wookee
09-12-2016, 06:29 AM
The true ID number for the engines that came in our vans are hand stamped on the ledge that the distributor rests on.
This coded number will give you the year the engine was built along with what type of truck car this engine came in.
The better repair manual used to list these coded numbers.(Motors manual is one of them).

Unfortunately most of the original engines did not last as long as the van bodies did.

Unlike the car world.People in the van world really do not mind a vehicle being "numbers matching".

Welcome to our forums .Good luck with your project.

65campervan
09-13-2016, 02:05 AM
30581Eventually you will say to yourself " I could have had a V8!" (1965 G-10 Travel Cruiser one of eleven built on the west coast in 65. Now powered with a mercruiser marine Chevy small block 350 cid 340 HP.)

ben429543
09-13-2016, 11:38 AM
I got a 66 engine, would that still work??