I might be able to make it.

Great picture!

TurboVan
01-03-2017, 10:37 PM
I might be able to make it.

That would be great!

66BeachCruiser
01-04-2017, 12:15 AM
ben shot me a text and reminded me about this event. I'm going to try and make it out there. It would be nice to see you guys. A nice get together before the C of C in vegas.

van-itti
01-05-2017, 09:21 AM
No rain! No rain! No rain!...

TurboVan
01-05-2017, 10:32 PM
No rain! No rain! No rain!...

Don't jinx it!!!

van-itti
01-06-2017, 09:59 AM
It worked back in August of '69...

Wookee
01-06-2017, 12:14 PM
This event has been on my "Van Event Bucket List" for years.
I would not mind making a "Tour" of the trip.
I am thinking it could be comfortably done over a three week long time period...
Cruise out at a main drag pace,hang out a bit Run a express way pace back.....

van-itti
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM
We had a blast! Then we got lost..no big deal. Cant wait till next year..

van-itti
01-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Gotta show off a little..314583145931460

66BeachCruiser
01-10-2017, 02:37 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YIhDo_6RNM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

66BeachCruiser
01-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Here's a second video. I'm walking the line of vans. Before parking at this beautiful area, we cruised in a line of about 80 plus vans passing lights and stop signs. Somewhere down the line about half of the vans got lost taking another direction. So about half are seen here. Some more of the caravan caught up before cruising down to the next destination.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zauw3D9x2QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TurboVan
01-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Great pics and video! The first place we stopped, on Paseo Del Mar, was stunning!
Crystal-clear views of the coast, downtown LA, and the snow on the mountains.

It was fun to see you guys again!

Maybe next year the cops won't come and ruin the driver's meeting so we can all end up together.

66BeachCruiser
01-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Van-itti you always take good pictures! It was definitely great to see all you guys. Can't wait till the next one.

van-itti
01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks! These are from my phone. My wife has more in her camera. I will try to get some of them posted.

Yes Bob..attending the drivers meeting would have really helped. As I was walking over the cops showed and everyone scrambled..
Along the cruise we were behind what we called the "weiner mobile". The rather large orange colored RV unit..anyway..we got stopped at a light behind him.
About three lights later he got thru and we had to stop..that was it. We couldnt find you all..we ended up over the bridge by the aquarium and the QM.
Maybe a map next time??

Its was really nice to see you guys too! Beautiful day!

van-itti
01-11-2017, 08:18 PM

van-itti
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM

TurboVan
01-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks! These are from my phone. My wife has more in her camera. I will try to get some of them posted.

Yes Bob..attending the drivers meeting would have really helped. As I was walking over the cops showed and everyone scrambled..
Along the cruise we were behind what we called the "weiner mobile". The rather large orange colored RV unit..anyway..we got stopped at a light behind him.
About three lights later he got thru and we had to stop..that was it. We couldnt find you all..we ended up over the bridge by the aquarium and the QM.
Maybe a map next time??

Its was really nice to see you guys too! Beautiful day!

The weinermobile didn't really fit in, did it?
Well, all this could have been prevented if only they had published a destination, at the very least, in advance.
A route map would have been even better. And phone numbers for info-on-the-go.

Dan Wilson
01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
If I may......when I have done reliability runs or planned cruises through the country side some one plots out a route with planned stops. Also, everyone has the leader's number and maybe a few others. It really helps.

Wookee
01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
The weinermobile didn't really fit in, did it?
Well, all this could have been prevented if only they had published a destination, at the very least, in advance.
A route map would have been even better. And phone numbers for info-on-the-go.

With more Vans attending.a nicely printed set of directions of the planned route could have been provided by the Host club.
A convoy over ten vans needs three strategically placed drivers.Placed in the Convoy ...

What's cool about vans in general is.The 70 up to 77 vans rode, drove even better than they looked. Nice third gens keep showing up for sale.There numbers are Keeping up with the re awaking of this life style..The "Drivers" are still being comfortably driven.
So far the availability of this body style from the American manufacturers.Has kept up with the re awaking of this life style.......(.)(.)..

monkeykongking
01-14-2017, 12:15 PM
I was part of the crew that was hauling ass trying to catch up. 15 miles later, we found out we had passed the main crew. Glad everybody waited.

Wookee
01-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Let me take you on a short trip on the way back machine..........

1979 I joined a local van club.North Chesapeake Bay Vans.
Our club had a membership limitation of 50 members plus 5 perspective members.
The one thing that every ones van was equipped with was a CB radio.
These radios at that time where just coming off of being a Hot Lick automotive accessory.
Rides with our club going to different Van events consisted of from between 10 to 50 vans.
The president of the club or an officer. Usually assumed the position of the lead van.Of coarse there was all ways a van at the end of a convoy.Or the back door.
We used the radios to keep in touch with each other.When driving through a town or just down the road. If the middle of the convoy caught a red light.The rest of the convoy would find a safe place to pull to the shoulder and wait for the rest of the Vans. Unlike cell phones we where in constant communication with each other.
Just like the meeting.You had members who like to talk and ones who would just listen.Ether way We all ways knew where our convoy was or where it was heading.We never gave out route maps.It was a simple game of follow the leader.If anyone had a mechanical issue,which only happened once or twice.Every one in the convoy knew what to do........

It is really great to see interest in Vans growing on the left coast where this lifestyle was born at.
When this event first started 5 years ago only a hand full of Vans showed up for a casual ride.
While the internet has helped to draw new vans.It is up to the rides hosts to build a little more structure into the following rides....

Yes I have a cheap CB radio and a magnetic antenna I stick to my roof, so I can communicate with the Vans when we go to the Nationals.....

TurboVan
01-21-2017, 01:36 AM
It was awesome, I believe there were over 80 vans total.
See you in Vegas!

Wookee
01-21-2017, 08:51 AM
I will miss this years CofCs meeting in vegas
Still recovering from surgery....