PDA

View Full Version : Insurance stories

gregw98
06-08-2007, 08:52 PM
As I had stated in another post, State Farm is wanting to charge me about $800.00 a year for full coverage. Before the storm, I had antique plates and mt insurance was $152.00 a year, $76.00 every six months. I have to admit that the pics that they had of my van was before I installed a V8. But last week, I told them it was a six banger. And the agent told me that she had a 68 Firebird that was factory stock, except it was painted a different color, so she couldn't even qualify for antique plates. I figure that it differs from state to state and company to company. But this is one hell of a jump. Wonder if they realize that this is the same van that they paid me $7500.00 two years ago? What are you paying for a non-dailey driver? And what insurance headaches have you incurred.
greg

jonesy
06-09-2007, 05:26 AM
I tried to get insurance from Grundy last year. After answering questions truthfully, they refused to insure it. I guess my yes answer to "do you use vehicle for errands" was what did it. My advice if you try one of these vintage discount insurers, is tell them you don't take it out other than to a cruise night! It would of been a $900 a year difference.

planetvear
06-09-2007, 06:51 AM
i guess i've got it easy and i will tell you my secret. i have been a gearhead for most of the last 50 years. i have always had 2 or 3 cars and/or bikes. it's definitely not cheap to register and insure cars, trucks or bikes at the rate i was doing so. i got smart 8 years ago and got my used car dealers plates.
now each state is different regarding the rules and regulations for licensure, but with a little creativity you might be able to get your foot in the door. in maine you are required to have a minimum amout of display space, a garage that will fit two cars at the same time, a sign, posted hours of operation basic hand tools and such. anyone who has an interest in this approach should contact your dept. of motor vehicles to see what your individual requirements are.
if you can go this route, the benefits are multiple. it costs me about $2400.00 per year which includes registration and insurance for 5 plates. the cost will vary depending on the monetary level of coverage you want. since we sometimes deal in "higher end" cars, my policy covers us up to $500,000.00 in loss. i can jump on a plane and fly to california, buy a car, slap my plate on it and legally drive anywhere in the u.s. with the plate you also get the option of attending dealer wholesale auctions and buying on that level. buy and sell a few cars a year and pay for your dealer plates that way. you could also form a business with a friend and split costs.
this may not work for alot of the members here but it might be a concept that would work for a few. i don't envy any of you going through the crap dealing with insurance companies. it is very clear they want very limited risk and lots of income. john

dream weaver 65
06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
i have my 65 insured thru classic collectors ins. by infinity 12 thousand loss payable full coverage no deductable less than 150 a year weave65

gregw98
06-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Anyone ever have to file a claim with Classic Collectors Insurance by Infinity? If so, how did it work out?
greg

[This message has been edited by gregw98 (edited June 10, 2007).]

dream weaver 65
06-11-2007, 03:12 PM
never had a claim just recieved a new free roadside assistance brocure inc flat tire assis.battery fuel delivery towing with a 1 800 #free with policy ins was recomended to me by my broker who handles all my needs i can only hope its ok weave65

mayanees
06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
IMHO, State Farm sucks. I had them for 30 years, and they dropped me because of 3 claims in 3 years. And the worst thing was I didn't go to the Post Office to retrieve the certified letter because I thought it was a lapse in insurance on an old M/C that I let expire.
They automatically notified the State of MD, which started a $150 fine + more money per day after the first month.
Luckily I caught it in time to avoid disaster.
I'm now with USAA through my wife's previous Air Force experience. $167/year for my '64. It's just liability.
John M

[This message has been edited by mayanees (edited June 13, 2007).]

chiefinspect
07-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I am not sure I understand why it would be so hard and expensive to insure an early. I have been with GEICO so long I cannot remember when I first got them. But my 65 has always been insure through them with out a single problem and for a very reasonable premium.

drew87
07-16-2007, 03:40 AM
I too have classic collectors ins. It was the only company that would take me while I was still restoring. The others said no or it had to be totally restored. Very resonable ony $105 a year with total coverage. I haven't had to file a claim yet though, hopefully I never will.

ApplevalleyTim
07-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Hagerty'''
250 yr. for 14,000 coverage
no claims yet.....