PDA

View Full Version : should i sell my van?

girlvan65
10-18-2000, 09:34 PM
I have had my van for almost 3 years now, and have gotten a lot of use out of it. The problem is that my engine cover has 2 holes cut in it by the previous owner in all of his wisdom, and when I drive it I can't have the windows down or the exhaust is intoxicating. I also am not sure if I should keep my van anymore because I have a baby now. Ever since she was born, I haven't driven it at all.(I didn't install seatbelts) It has a nice interior, but it has some rust along the bottom of the doors. Should I try to sell? I bought it for $1000.00 and I want the same in return. What should I do?? Help me someone!

pat69chevan
10-19-2000, 12:20 PM
hey don't fret, i had the same problem with my engine cover, all i had to do was put a new seal on the edge put a different top on it. if you check with the guys on this site, some on might have a top to sell you cheap, my buddy cut holes on the sides so he could change his spark plugs easier and he put rubber caps in the holes to block them up. dont give up so easy, you will kick yourself if you sell it. i felt like an idiot when i sold my 66 volkswagen bug. check around your area for parts vans, if the holes are in the lower part of the engine cover, the part that is not removable, you may have to have those spots welded. all i have seen in this website is guys with old vans, never any girls, i think it is super cool that you have your van.

keep in touch.

pat

girlvan65
10-19-2000, 02:46 PM
thanks for the reply. i definitely don't think i should sell. it just gets frustrating-- not to sound stereotypical, but i am a girl and only know so much about the mechanics of things. and of course when i ask someone for help(a man) they rip me off.
the holes in my engine cover probably will
need some welding. they are at the bottom of the cover and are about 8" wide and 8"tall. -- i also got rid of a beetle.
i'm sorry i did. it was a 73 super. it needed a new frame. this is a cool site. keep replying!

Vanner68
10-19-2000, 03:48 PM
sounds like the guy needed spark plug access cuz he was too lazy to go underneath to change them. anyhoo- have some sheetmetal cut about 1 inch larger all around than the holes, use weatherstripping for gasket, and screw the covers over the holes. this way you still have the easy access when you need it.

painterchris
10-19-2000, 08:31 PM
Hey, I also think you should keep your van, but getting seatbelts installed might be a good idea. I am working on installing some seatbelts in my 64 right now. I'll take some pictures of the process if you want. Also, you may want to be careful about having a baby in the van. The simple fact is that these are not the safest vehicles in the world. They don't exactly stop on a dime and the windshield is not safety glass, so it won't break into harmless little cubes when it shatters. If you are going to be driving a baby around in it, you may want to make sure there is some way to secure the child seat in the back (you don't want a baby in the passenger seat). I'm not saying you should sell the van, but it might be worth investing a little money in it to make it safer. I rarely meet a female vanner, so I think it's cool.
LAter,
Andy.

girlvan65
10-19-2000, 09:43 PM
hey this is so cool. i didn't think i would get any replies but now i have three. i'm not sure i'm even doing this whole message thing correctly-- i just got this computer(my first) 2 weeks ago. so thank you vanner and painterchris for the suggestions. it's actually pretty sad that you don't hear from more vangirls. My area has a few places with van parts, but mostly the parts hey have are crap-- and besides, those junk yard places creep me. (unless everything is free,then i will crawl through the bushes with bells on.) i love my van, but sometimes i feel like giving up on it. i'm not made of money. but of course i don't want to pay anyone to do this stuff for me, so i also have the problem we all can relate to-NO TIME!!!
-- can anyone put photos on this page? maybe i should let everyone see my beautiful old van. i love having a vehicle that is older than i am. this message thing is great. keep on with the advice!

pat69chevan
10-24-2000, 12:14 PM
vanner68 was probably right about the holes in your engine cover, lazy s.o.b. wanted an easier way to change plugs, stupid!!! i was reading through the discusions and isaw that you are in illinois, what part? i am in st louis missouri, if you are not to far away and you are looking for a part, let me know what you are looking for, and i could check with my sources to find it. if you are not far from st louis, i know a number of shops that work reasonable to weld up the holes. one guy who works cheap, is dawsons engineering, he builds track car frames and restores old cars also. he is very reasonable. dont give up so easy, these vehicles are pretty basic to work on and you may suprise yourself with your possible abilities.

if you are in illinois near st louis, e-mail me at pat_rat67@hotmail.com

later

pat

smiley
10-24-2000, 01:43 PM
The message board does not support HTML code or images, but if you'd like to email photos to me at hotrodvans@hotmail.com, I'll put them in our Gallery section.

(For those of you that may have noticed, I'm using two different email addresses, because we may be moving soon and it's easier for me to access the hotmail account. The "smileyworld" address is still open and active, but may not be in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.)

pat69chevan
11-01-2000, 08:08 AM
girlvan65, hows it going? did you sell it or are you going to keep it? curious? just wanted to say hi, not to you! but to your van! hahahahaha just kidding. let me know if you are still looking for someone to repair those holes in your engine cover.

pat