PDA

View Full Version : 64 on e-bay

Bear
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
you guys think thats a good one to buy? or will there be others?better or as good? i,m haveing a hard time with this one.flat glass is what i allways wanted.told the wife we should sell the 68 and buy this one what you all think? hey leadfoot your spring got picked up today.

leadfoot
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
i think, it's an OK buy at it's current price of 1400
looking at the pics,here is what i see
-first off, it's a 40+ yr old vehicle with
some good- and some bad-
-the roof is straight, and no holes
-grille/nose is straight
-highly sought after cargo-no window van
-the engine looks it's age, i would expect a new one or rebuild will be needed
-the surface is a nightmare,
especially the rear doors-
you'll be stripping and sanding for a while to lose the layers and peeling
-the rust drips from the tail lights,door hinges and seams may be something more than not pictured-
-the bottoms of the doors look thin if not needing repair
-bumpers are straight
-bottom door hinge area on driver side looks rusty, may be a time consuming repair needed
-same with the pass side lower hinge area
-wiper arms.. either they were in motion
when the van stopped or the wiper linkage will be needing attention
-there are no underside pics
the forward rear spring perches would be my biggest concern seeing the rust near the lower front door hinges is an indication
there is more rust not pictured
-as for a reasonable start to a restoration
i think it would be a GOOD deal at 1000.00
but IF all the above concerns are OK
and 2000.00 IF the underside looked GOOD
-but for someone who see's the potential
and is willing to put the time and cash needed into it
it could turn into 5,000 towards 10k
IF done well enough...
so ya have to weigh the needs and what you want and can do with it
-some may say where they are from it's
a 500.00 van... another person may say
I WANT THAT .. and price is no object
i think only the stock market fluxuates
as much as the prices of our vans
(thanks for the spring Bear- i'll see Deb and Gills on sat morning at c of c )

Bear
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
thanks leadfoot i.m not afraid to spend good money to get a flat glass with a good body i really want one that is all that body wise even if i get it from the west coast.i think i would spend $5000.00 and up to get a nice one that needs min body/paint work drive line who cares thats just a bunch of nuts and bolts.like i said befor i need to stay on task with my 68.this fall next winter brother we going to look hard.

leadfoot
02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
i always said it...
our vans find US we don't find our vans http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

planetvear
02-07-2007, 05:05 AM
as far as values go these days, you might as well throw the book out the window ! more and more our world gets smaller and smaller. our little band of vanners were the only people interested in these vans 10 years ago, but with the e-bay explosion the van might be sold to some wealthy guy in germany or japan.the exposure there guarantees a huge audience and a likely higher sale price. with shows like barret-jackson and american hot-rod on tv, the average guy thinks that any old vehicle is now super valuable.this also drives the price up. the reality here today is that a vehicles value is the amount someone is willing to pay for it. we have all watched with amazement as prices climb at an astronomical rate.
bear, if i were you i would see if anyone from this site is within striking distance of this van so you can get an accurate description of it. as leadfoot indicates, there are not alot of clear and descriptive photo's in this ad. the ones i see are suspect in areas you might be worried about. i got severely burned on a 65 panel on e-bay last summer. the guy said it was in unbelievable condition for the year and with a couple of things it could be road-ready. my wife and i took a couple of days and drove to south jersey to collect it. you are welcome to stop by anytime and check out my prize.....i use it to store busted up sheet metal from collision jobs til i can get it to the scrapyard. i love the old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure". either way, best of luck to you, john

Schmoejoe
02-07-2007, 06:03 AM
Don't you guys think that Ebay feedback can be an important factor in making the buy or no buy decision. Every once in a while you a see van seller show up with no feedback and the bidding is almost not. Those people who bid are taking a gamble, but who knows, they might wind up with a winner.

CYA

leadfoot
02-07-2007, 06:24 AM
item first-feedback last,
-zero feedback is seldome a problem unless
the item has been seen before on ebay
or payment instructions are questionable
-also if any bad feedback is seen, sometimes you need to look at the person who left it
as sometimes bad feedback isn't called for -or the person who sent it was the cause of it