PDA

View Full Version : setbacks/depression/venting

krappy
06-01-2008, 04:58 AM
i am in the midst of a deep spiritual struggle--i can look at this '66 some days and have a great sense of hope. other days, after spending hours on a problem, i emerge from beneath with rust in the eye, and wonder why i am doing this.

why are any of us doing this? anyone? Bueller? BUELLER?

GreyBeard
06-01-2008, 05:51 AM
The bad days are bad but the good days are GREAT!!!

SAVAGE
06-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Kevin, You come a long way from what you stared with. And you are getting really close to haveing it back on the road again. Thats when I seem to want to start on another project???? It took me 7 year to get mine put back together(& still not done). Don't give up now. Tom

BvrWally
06-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I've been there myself, broke down on the side of the road asking the same question? 34 years later, with the same '69 Shorty, The smiles she gives me and everyone that see her.....PRICELESS! That pretty well sums it up. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif
B.W.

ron bonomo
06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Just remember the bad come far less than the good.keep pluggin at it,,some day you'll get there and say it was all worth it,,,,oldskoolvan64

m1dadio
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Lots of people look at pictures of my van and compliment me on the good job I am doing and that gives me incouragment at times. I often just sit there stating blankly at my van for an hour or so all t5he time wondering what the hell am I doing. Half way throuhg the dog house installation I stalled and just couldn't do any work on it for 6 weeks, then the feeling came back as it always will. Sometimes I just push to much and make myself fed up and then I have to not work on it for a time until the enthosiasm comes back. I have so many modifications to do that I wont get to drive my van for probobly a year or so and that gets me down sometimes. But thats part of it all. That is why I say those guys with thier van all fixed up have totally earned what the have, not just a cool ride but respect from guys like me because I know they gave years of blood, sweat, tears and emotional stress which is what you give in the true meaning of love. What you are doing right now is loving your van and that will be returned to you in years to come.

This van site is more then a place to show and tell. I recomend you take pictures of what you are doing on your project and make posts here of your successes and failures. Through this you will share your project with others who want to see and know what your doing and there buy give others a chance to be involved. Its about conection, club, being a Vanner, there is much more to gain here then meets the eye. Simply having some project and being alone with it is not what its all about.

Thats how it is for me anyway.
M1

TurboVan
06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Been there done that, that's for sure!
When Turbo started deteriorating a couple years ago, I knew it needed to come off the road, but I was afraid to do it, kept putting it off, putting it off, until finally it was so bad I HAD to do something.
I figured it would take a month or two, maybe three, tops. OVER A YEAR later it is finally back on the road, barely, and a lot more left to do. So many changes and forays into uncharted territory meant I had to design and redesign, bolt it on only to tear it off again because it interfered with something else. Put it together, then take it apart, rethink it, make some changes, over and over, layer upon layer, I thought it was never going to end.
So now my wife is pissed off because all her house-related projects have been neglected because 'that piece of crap' in the driveway got all the attention during my spare time.

But you know what? Finally getting to drive it around, knowing it's reliable and better than ever, makes it all worthwhile! Now I can relax a little and tinker with it at random.

And get caught up on my honey-do's.

And get started on Taco's neglected brakes...

fustkarr
06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Kinda getting that mindset goin' on my project too.....i think i look at the flatglass w/a slightly asque? view, over the years i've started and not finished so many projects {before ya write me off, i've finished plenty too} so when i finally decided to get another one going, i sat and considered the hows/whys and concluded that not only do i have a heart-on for the flatglasse vans but i really wanted to finish one complete, V8/4 speed/IRS/IFS/Power disks/engine set back/electrical layout incorporating all the fixes i've applied over the years {and maybe a few new ones} and lotza little details that have occurred to me over the years..This is my 3rd flatglass so maybe this will be the charm but irregardless i'm not building it for anyone but me, time isn't a factor here, getting it just right, just the way i wanted it is.My 2cents says build-it for yourself, on a time frame that keeps it interesting and plan for periods where it just aint moving along the way you envisioned, its gonna happen so be prepared, possibly to bend the c-card to keep the project on track...i know i hate to throw money at something, its just not as satisifing as doing it yourself but the most important thing is keeping the project moving at a pace that holds your interest because your the most important piece of the puzzle..Your gonna feel lost/over your head/disallusioned at times but keep it moving {maybe set little goals, helps to work from a list, then check them off as ya go}....good luck...hey it beats bird watching...
Goodluk, Randy
P.S.:I was talking to a guy in New Jersey about bushings for my 4 speed W/OD and he asked what it was going in {i normally don't mention what i'm doing because you always get"Chevy vans don't come with 4 speeds W/OD...or independent suspensions, 4 wheel disk brakes etc.} which leads to a 1/2 hr. explanation of what i'm doing but this time i let it slip out and this guy or his neighbor used to have one that was "fixed up"...etc etc..he knew exactly what kinda van i was talking about..kinda refreshing actually...makes ya think your not really the lone ranger after all.
Note: Should have the bushings next week/sand blasted trans case and the paints already here...the machine work is finished a so maybe next weekend the trans/engine combo gets jury rigged into the vette...progress!!!very satisifing...{I find it comes in bursts..you push & push then finally it falls together and you make a giant leap ahead}

dream weaver 65
06-01-2008, 03:24 PM
just telling my bride the other day as our 02&o3 chrysler sit around they lose value the longer the 65 sits only gets better!!!!!!!!!weave

gregw98
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
I tend to get obsessive about projects. I had been going 12 to 14 hours a day on my van. But I was getting burned out and took a breack for awhile. I have every intention of getting back at it in the next week or two.
greg

[This message has been edited by gregw98 (edited June 02, 2008).]

wildbill
06-02-2008, 03:22 AM
hang in there. walk away from it for awhile. then you will start thinking about it in a different light. your attitude will change, and you will start to "want" to work on it, again. i go thru the same thing every year, but what snaps me out of it, is all of the car shows i go to, and how cool it's going to be when i finially cruze in one, in my flat glass chevy van http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif
wildbill

planetvear
06-02-2008, 05:16 AM
there is no profit without risk and if you give up you have lost. the fire will return, i guarantee it. john

Wookee
06-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Been there done that.....
The "Beast" took me on a fairly long Journey.The first Early I built I was working hard at a decent paying job so I had more dosposable income.I wanted something I worked over time/side jobs to help pay for it.
I did allot of the work my self but also paid to have bigger projects done.The van turned out nice but there where times when I looked at what I paid for and said to mt self.I could have done that better..
I found the "Beast"I had gotten out of 2% vanning.I had a Coversion van "daily driver", but was not attending any events of even cruise nights.Life issues and overtime was keeping me away.
The "Beast" set for a long time waiting for me to get around to it.When I did start working on it I said to my self I am doing almost every thing my self.
My life issues and time constraints worked them selves out.I worked on the van as I had time,It sat foe long periods of time with no attention.
The work on the van changed for "work" to therapy.
The biggest and best thing was to be able to roll into a van event after being away for ten years.Seeing my fellow vanners reaction to my work and effort.The smiles on there faces and the thumbs up.Just made every dollar, every busted knucle, every bit of agravation all worth it.

Hang in there my friend.Its a long strange trip but is one worth setting out on......

You have done some outstanding work so far.

Your talent with wood has been an insperation to me.....

.........Wookee

------------------

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/backinblack.jpg
Its a "van thing" A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

[This message has been edited by Wookee (edited June 02, 2008).]

gregw98
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Wookee hits 4000.

macsdoghouse
06-02-2008, 09:52 PM
DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!

VANagain
06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Wow, you guys, I feel like we just sat through group therapy or Vanners Anonymous! I didn't quite need a tissue but this thread is very inspiring. Along with parts and know-how, this is what these forums are all about. Comradarie with people who "get" what we're going through and why we do it.

I too wondered why I was undertaking another big auto project. They're a lot of time and work, and you never get your money back out of it. But when I'm in the garage tinkering with the van, using my tools and tricks I've learned over the years, I realize that I really enjoy the process.

And nowadays, with the Internet, I have a lot of buddies here to share in the fun!

krappy
06-03-2008, 04:26 AM
thanks guys--today (if my parts guy comes through) i'll be back in the ring to take another swing...

good to know i'm not the only one.

m1dadio
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
VANagain!

Wow, you guys, I feel like we just sat through group therapy or Vanners Anonymous!

We're not called van addics for nothing.
You dont earn that simply buying a van L.O.L!!

M1dadio

BvrWally
06-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Boy do you have that right!!
B.W.

gregw98
06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Vanagain writes, "They're a lot of time and work, and you never get your money back out of it."

Brings to mind my last 3 girlfriends.
greg

van-itti
06-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Whenever I get feeling down...I just take a drive past all these forclosed/bank owned houses...
I could have it a lot worse...

Like Grandpa said,"Ifa you keepa you chin-upa...your mouth hasa to shut-upa."
Try it, It really works.
(Italian accent optional)

Mike

mayanees
06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Yo krappy,

If I could make a simple suggestion to improve your outlook on wrenchin' on the ole Chevy.... or to improve your feelings about the whole deal......
like maybe change your name?? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

No offense intended at all now brutha.... but maybe slappy, or snappy, or happy, but krappy???

JM

Warlock
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey, Kevin, take it from another Kevin, there are good days and bad ones. For example, one of my best was the day I got my old 69, "Ol Betsy" back from painting and she was finished, and the worst was the day I came home from work and discovered that my back yard had been broken into and my van had been totally trashed!!! I now have another 69 and I am building her bigger and better. I will carry on and so should you!!!

gregw98
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Let me give you a little insight on setbacks and depression.
"You see, there was this little tropical disturbance out in the southern Atlantic a few years ago called Katrina and .............". Oh well never mind.
greg