PDA

View Full Version : Over heating...bigger rad??

Yeggster
05-09-2000, 10:38 PM
I've been test driving my 66 on and off for a couple months......I put a 350 in it and and (being in Canada) the warm weather is just getting here......the temperature got up to the mid seventys the last few days and I am haveing big overheating troubles!

Now I have a big three core rad out of a 80's pickup....it's like new (I spent $265 recoreing it) and I also raised the floor 6" for more air flow.....and have a 17" electric fan in front.

It's fine around the city and even in stop and go trafic.....but so as I hit hiway speeds it start over heating...ten minutes later it's over 220 degrees (F).

I checked the thermostate and ever tried removeing it the engine is fine as I drove it in the old vehicle with the same rad (before it was recored even) and it NEVER overheated.

Of course some of the rad is blocked so that could be it.

What are you guys who run V8's useing for rads.....do you think a 4 core will solve the problem?

smiley
05-10-2000, 07:26 AM
I've heard from many early V8 swappers that a 4 core radiator is almost mandatory for proper temp regulation. some have gotten away by using flex fans and other air delivery modifications, but the 4 core radiator seems to be the most direct method.

Blindmelon
05-10-2000, 12:55 PM
hey guys, i recently restored my 69 van. it had a 350 as well. i went with a 4 core rad. i still had heat problems however it wasn't from overheating. i don't personally think you will ever fully control heating problems in these type vans. again i used a 4 core an electric fan between the radiator and the engine. appartantly if it is in front, it is restricting flow. use a puller fan between the enigne and rad. i also cooled my engine by constructing large heater tubing used for the actual heater, and routed it to the grille for ram air. this really helped in cooling the moter, by atleast 20 degrees. i know this probally doesn't help but it is what i did and agian i didn't have too much trouble. also aluminum intake seemed to help as well. make sure you have the luvered shield too, this is why they made them in the first place. Tim

Yeggster
05-10-2000, 09:55 PM
Thanx guys.....anyone else??

Tim whats the louver??

I have no room for the fan between the rad and the engine http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/frown.gif

I am trying to find a 5 core rad as I have the full size pickup rad the 5 cores were once available for 454's with A/C but so far I can;t find one.

I have to check out the 6.8 litre deisle rad too I don't know if it's the saem foor print or not but it must be better as it's 4 core but costs a $150 more than the regular 4 core

I'll keep you all posted http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

JD
05-10-2000, 11:19 PM
IF YOU STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL RADIATOR,YOUR LOCAL RADIATOR SHOP SHOULD BE ABLE TO PUT A 4 ROW BETWEEN YOUR ORIGINAL TANKS..THATS WHAT I HAD DONE TO MY 69 V-8 AND IT WORKS GREAT !..I DRIVE TO THE DESERT WITH 2 HARLEYS IN THE BACK WITH NO ELECTRIC FAN..NO PROBLEMS..CHECK YOUR WATER PUMP ALSO, IV'E SEEN THEM DO STRANGE THINGS...THE LOUVERS ARE ON THE ORIGINAL SHEETMETAL PANEL/ROCKGUARD THAT FITS UNDER THE FRONT OF THE VAN..IT DEFLECTS AIR UP TO THE RADIATOR..I ALSO HAVE HAVE WHAT THEY CALL AN AIR CONDITIONING CLUTCH FAN ON IT...IT "LOCKS UP" THE BLADE TO PUMP AT CERTAIN TEMPERATURE OR RPM ..DEPENDS ON MANUFACTURER
....I'LL TRY TO GET A MODINE # FOR YOU, YOU MAY STILL BE ABLE TO GET THEM NEW..I'LL LET YOU KNOW !
[This message has been edited by JD (edited May 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JD (edited May 11, 2000).]

solid side 65
05-11-2000, 10:13 PM
Yeggster,I have never had a serious problem with overheating in my 65. It did run warm in the beginning due to the tight new motor. I have been in stop and go traffic during 100 degree weather and only had to put it in neutral and bring up the rpm's when it got over 210 degrees water temp, it dropped back down quickly. I started out with a 67-70 van engine box, V8 radiator and lower support, factory shroud and overflow tank, flex fan and 180 degree thermostat. I had a 160 degree stat but it took too long to warm up. I think the factory V8 van cross flow radiator being recored with a new four pass unit was the secret. I saw others before me struggle with overheating problems using the stock 64-66 radiator even with a four core. I have thought about installing an electric fan ahead of the radiator controlled with a switch for insurance, but haven't really had a problem. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by solid side 65 (edited May 11, 2000).]

Blindmelon
05-12-2000, 05:33 AM
right here is a good question. i want to know how can i find the original fiberglass insulation that comes inside the doghouse.and if in fact you can find it what is the best adhesive to hold it in? if any one can help let me know. -Tim Blindmelon5@hotmail.com

smiley
05-12-2000, 07:00 AM
I'm not sure how close to "original" it is, but i've heard that the heat/noise insulation sold by jc whitney works great. in fact, that may be what the previous owner used in my '68. it shields nearly 100% of the heat and it keeps a lot of noise out.

Yeggster
05-12-2000, 07:27 AM
OK Guys thanx alot.......I'm going to try the sheet etal ait deflector and maybe the "air ram" idea too.....but I'm alos going to put the 4 core rad in too

I'll let you'all know how it goes!

JD
05-12-2000, 09:13 PM
JUST THROWIN THIS OUT IF IT HELPS ANYBODY !!.
I HAD A BUDDY OF MINE IN THE RADIATOR BUSINESS DIG UP THIS (MODINE #284)..THIS IS THE STOCK REPLACEMENT RADIATOR (3-ROW) FOR A
66 CHEVY VAN..AUTO..ACCORDING TO HIS BOOKS IT STILL IS AVAILABLE.........

painterchris
05-18-2000, 04:59 PM
I just had a 250 rebuilt for my 65 last year and have had a lot of trouble with it running hot because it has pretty high compresion. I tried putting a bigger fan in it, but it wouldn't fit. I added a piece of sheet metal to the louvered shield that acts as a n air dam, directing the air flow ovewr the lower tank and into the core, where it wil do some good. I also added an antifreeze additive called "motor Max" to the coolant. You can also buy an additive called "Red Line." These two modifications brought the temperature down from a standard 220F to about 195F. If you really want to push some air, I would suggest ading a tunnel in front of the radiator, to allow more air to actually flow over the radiator. You can also add an electric fan in front of the radiator and a fan cowl behind it. Good luck.
Andy.

vannman67
05-18-2000, 08:51 PM
Talked to my local radiator guy. Apparently Modine also makes a four row radiator for the 67-70 vans, part #369. Same dimensions as the three row but provides 25% more cooling ability. Price was around $250. I was warned however, that if you cool down too much you get carbon build up in the cylinders, which isn't good either

Rich Van Linkel
05-19-2000, 05:21 AM
I have a 66 with a built 307. I had a origional 68 radiator flushed, installed a electric fan from a Chevy Cavalier between the engine and radiator and reversed the wiring to get the fan to pull the air. I also built a tunnel between the engine box and front floor. I am running a Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake, with a 180 degree thermostate. And I haven't re-installed the louver pan back under the front. So far my temps have never exceded 200.
Good luck.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rich Van Linkel (edited May 19, 2000).]

bostonvan
05-28-2000, 07:27 PM
Hi y'all
I am in the same boat (van) as many of you apparently. I,m running a stock 350 in my 69 and its running hot , but only on the hiway. I put in a clutch fan, an electric pusher fan and made a new air scoop from the front to the radiator. My friend, who is a mechanic and helped enormously in this project, thinks the mixture is too lean in my 4-bbl Edelbrock, and I am going the route of fattening it up with new rods/jets. I'll keep you posted, would love some feedback. I am also curious about an overdrive transmission-anyone?

Duane 70gmc
05-28-2000, 08:24 PM
I own a 70 GMC with a 307 that I rebuilt the upper half on, and have no overheating problems what so ever. When I bought the van, one of the things that it came with was a relativly new 4 core radiator. Other than that and the addition of all new hoses, I've done nothing to the cooling system at all. I also have a factory fan shroud that I'm sure helps. And I mean it doesn't overheat. I've left it idle in 90 degree heat for amlost an hour and the temp needle barely moved. As far as highway driving, All the way from Detroit to Memphis. non stop, without even the incling of an overheating problem. I guess my line of thinking is with a good 4 core and all the rest of the cooling system complete and intact, I'm having no overheating problems at all. Just my $.02

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

Vanner68
06-04-2000, 04:44 PM
As Dwayne sez- the key is the shroud and 4 row core. after melting down a built 350 in my 68 I had a 4 row made up on my 6 cyl. tanks. i run a shroud and no floor mods. Also, make sure your engine is clean. Gunky goo holds heat pretty well. remember, GM would not be so stupid as to design a vehicle to overheat. Even in the 60's the bad press would have killed them.

bostonvan
06-05-2000, 02:09 PM
I just talked to a tech at BeCool, they make a sweet aluminum radiator that will bolt in with only minor mods to the mounting bracket, i hope. It measures 19"widex24.5 tall and is # 62004. Tranny cooler built in as well. $541!!! I hope changing my carburator setup takes care of my hot problem, but this rad. is so sweet..... how much is too much when youre in love?
Tim S.

OT
06-05-2000, 10:37 PM
I see I,m not the only to have over heating problems. My bigest gain was a 4 Core rad. and the next was the air dam under the rad, I have an oil cooler and trans, cooler[Auto]. The flex fan and electric fans are good for around town, But won't do much on the road at speed. And thats where the larger capacity on the rad. pays off. The air damn has to be stiff and large . The cowl behind the rad. will increase the fans Eff. but doesn't do much on the road. The coolant aditives help , but where short lived. And if your going to use the larger flex fans, go with the Double belt pulleys.

Dennis Mowry
06-18-2000, 10:29 PM
On over heating, besides a racing core rad, shoud, electric push fans, some other options would be auxilary cooling raditor, oil cooler and trans cooler if auto.
I also install a high efficiency flow water pump and high flow therastat.
stay cool, papaooomowmow

BvrWally
06-27-2000, 04:05 PM
I had the same problem a number of years ago, when I placed a 327 in my "Early"!
I contacted: Griffith Racing Radiators
in Townville, South Carolina
They manufactured a "5" core radiator for me a very reasonable price. I have NEVER overheated again, thanks to their radiator!
Give them a call!
BvrWally