PDA

View Full Version : venting a little steam

tomschaner
11-29-2000, 06:41 PM
had finally found a line on some cherry rear doors and dashpad for my 1967 van.the only problem was that i live in indy and the parts were in california.well after about two weeks of deciding of whether not to take a major journey to cali(this guy would not ship the parts out to save his life)i decided what the heck.well had the trip all planned out and ready to leave and guess what i gave this guy one last call to make sure the stuff was as good as described and now all of a sudden he gets a case of amnesia.he don't even remember talking to me or sending an e-mail amazing isn't it.just wondering if any of you vanners ever had a similar case happen to them or am i the only dum a$# that actually fell for this line of bull.i'm just glad that he didn't inform me when i was there in cali otherwise i think i may of lost it and claimed a state of amnesia.thanks for listening tom.van on!

smiley
11-29-2000, 07:26 PM
Hey Tom,

I had a very similar experience about this time last year. I got stiffed on a whole van. I too had the entire trip planned (time off work, enlisted a friend and his truck etc.) and was informed the night before the trip that the deal was off. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Haven't spoken to him since and all I have to say to him is http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/tongue.gif

sambowie
11-29-2000, 08:39 PM
I had a similar experiance too, but mine came out good, I had a lead on a white windowless
'65 chev in Fort lupton,near denver,it had sat there since the mid 70's and was chock full of parts,Got a whole bunch of little things I needed to complete my '66, jump seat, turn signal assembly,bulbs, etc. Talk to the guy about 3 months later and offer him
20 for the rear doors, he says 25 there yours. go up there during the weekend and take the doors out,go up to the desk and have my 25 ready, he says how much did I say, i say 25, hes starts sayin 25 dollars a peice?
I said no you said 25 for the pair, well after a little talkin he accepts the offer.
But he seems just a tad bit pissed he got robbed for his doors, Well before that he told me He was gonna give me and address for
a guy that can get any rad you need for any car, After I gave him the money, I said can I get that address, he said 20 bucks. I got outta there quick.

painterchris
11-30-2000, 10:38 AM
Heh,
I have had NUMEROUS similar experiences. I drove all the way out to New Mexico to pick up my 64 van. I made the deal via mail and phone. I gave the guy a long list of things to check out on the van. For instance, I told him to check the roof very carefully for rust holes. Well, I drive for 2 days from Atlanta to New Mexico. When I get ther, the van looks ROUGH. The elctrical system is trashed. The roof is wavy and has rust holes in several spots. I don't think the guy intentionally ripped me off though. I just think he didn't know what to look for.

More recently, I went to a local junkyard to get some seatbelts. I asked the owner how much for a full set of shoulder belts out of an 85 chevy van he had. He said $20. Sounded great to me, so I went out and removed them. When I brought them down, he says"Oh.. I didn't realize you meant EVERYTHING. I thought you just wanted the belts." What? What the hell am I going to do with some belts, but no retractor machanism? He tries to jack the price up to $40. After I threatened to take them back up in the yard and re-install them, he charged me $25. What a jerk.

You just have to be really careful who you deal with. There are a lot of shady people out there.

LAter,
Andy.

pat69chevan
11-30-2000, 12:15 PM
HEY TOM, I GOT A GOOD ONE FOR YA!!!! i called this salvage yard in ILL. and the one of the yard workers told me that he had a couple of parts vans. it took me about two hours to get there and i was so excited, i walked on the property and right in front of my eyes two vans, a FORD AND A DODGE. I ASKED THE GUY WHERE ARE THE CHEVY VANS, AND HE SAID, OOPS! WITHOUT LOOKING, HE THOUGHT AUTOMATICALLY THAT THEY WERE CHEVY! A TEAR ALMOST RAN DOWN MY CHEEK, BUT I LOOKED UP AND SAW A SET OF MIRRORS THAT WERE FACTORY FOR OUR VANS!! YAHOO! HE GAVE THEM TO ME FOR COMPENSATION OF HIS MISTAKE, I DIDNT TURN THEM DOWN!

PAT

greg showers
11-30-2000, 12:44 PM
i would have to agree with the fact that you do have to be CAREFULL when you deal with people. but as a person that does sell parts to people, that there are some honest people that get a bad name because of people like those you mentioned. i buy early modle vans and cut them up (ouch)i use parts to build mine and i sell parts for money to fund my prodject. i try to be as honest and fair as i can. right now one guy is mad because he wants a part that someone else has already agreed to buy. but he has to understand that to be fair it's first come first served. i have sold parts to a few people here on this site,Tom you're one of them and i believe that i was fair with you on price and description of parts.like i said there are some people that are trying to be pri**s and get people to out bid each other or whatever . but then again there are people like me whose whole perpose for doing this is to keep their van and as many other similar vans on the road. and just so you know i don't cut up the vans that are saveable. (i don't want a lynch mob at my door)just thought that i would add my 2%

tomschaner
11-30-2000, 04:31 PM
thanks for all the great stories it has made me realize that sometimes things don't turn out as planned.but instead of hateing every body thats wronged you in this world you need to thank those that have helped you out and three that come to mind as far as parts for chevy vans go so far are(roger moyles,greg showers,and smiley) because if it weren't for the goal of a vintage van web site we wouldn't have the luck of finding some nice honest people.mind you if i left any one out i'll remember to add you to my neverending list.thanks and van on.

Vanner68
11-30-2000, 04:41 PM
Well, I have been on both ends of this one. I got an E-mail from a guy in N. Dakota, I had talked to him in Vannin.com chat room and he needed a front bumper. I had a really good one, we worked out a price, and he sent me a money order. I go out in the garage to get the bumper, and find the rear bumper. Look for the front. No Can Find. It was on the van when I moved into this house, I removed it to do bodywork, Where the#@%& is it? I e-mail him, let him know my predicament, he says no rush. Tear apart whole garage. No bumper. I finally sent him a money order back, with an apology. He was cool with it, but I wouldn't blame him if he thought I was an a**hole.

About a month ago, I went to Canada to look at Ajax's 70 GMC. It's pretty much as described, tons (literally!) of extra parts, we have a few beers and make a deal. I tell him I'll be up over Thanksgiving weekend to get it. Guess what? Two presses go down at work, I have to work the weekend to get at least one up and running. E-mail, explain, we're cool. Now, not sure WHEN I can get back up to his place, I got a borrowed tow dollie in my driveway, money sittin in the bank, and a 70 no-door wantin a new home with no time to go get it. Ajax probably thinks I'm a jerk.

Oh, well, What can ya do?

AJAX
11-30-2000, 08:10 PM
NOTHIN'. LIFE IS FULL OF WONDERFUL SURPRISES, SOME GOOD SOME BAD. A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO YEGGSTER WAS HERE FOR A COMPLETE FRONT AXLE OUT OF THE '67. WHILE WE WERE AT IT WITH THE TORCHES, HE GOT A STEERING BOX TOO. AND GET THIS, WE HAD A COUPLE OF BEERS, MADE A DEAL AND NOW HE'S DESIGNING DISC BRAKES FOR THE FRONT END SO WE CAN ALL STOP JUST THE WAY YOU SHOULD. AND TALK ABOUT INNOVATIVE, WE SHOULD BE CALLIN' YEGGSTER INSPECTOR GADGET AND HIS GADGETMOBILE. IF HE HAD ANYMORE STUFF IN HIS VAN AND NOT CLUTTERED BUT NEATLY TUCK EVERWHERE, IT WAS AMAZING!!

AND BY THE WAY, WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO PICK UP YOUR VAN AND PARTS,ETC???

AJAX