PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid/Electric Conversion

Staypuff68
05-31-2008, 06:54 AM
I am doing some serious thinking about converting my 68 Handi-bus into a electric hybrid. What I still havn't worked out is should I swap the tranny (Powerglide) for a manual, what size motor etc.

Any thoughts??

m1dadio
05-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I have put some thought to this too.

Look at what the auto manufactureres are doing today for ideas.

I have been involved with a electric/gasoline powered vehicle twenty years ago.

The electric motor was a commbonation generator or motor.

The best idea is to make each wheel a combo motor/generator. the generator part used as a brake system.

G-Man
05-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Let me ask a buddy about a site he told me about. This guy didn't do that to a van, but it was a chevy and he used a powerglide for the trans.

G-Man
05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Heres that site http://www.poormansev.com/

Staypuff68
06-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks G-Man. Looks like the right place to start. He has his Chevelle set up for the drag strip, so I hopefully won't have to do as much modifications. The plans is to run around town on battery power and hit the hiways with the "pony motor".

------------------
Semper Gumby

jonesy
06-01-2008, 06:27 AM
This is something I have on my long range plan. I was thinking electric with a small diesel generator for recharging on the go. Batteries would fit great under the floor. Hopefully in the next few years we will see lots of options for these kind of conversions.

Staypuff68
06-01-2008, 06:37 AM
That is pretty much the same idea I have. My plans for Staypuff are to make her into my RV, pulling a small trailer. The "pony motor" would also be my power at the camp site.

Staypuff68
06-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Of course it will have to wait until I get back for down range, so I am spending my time doing the research and making the plans. Something to do when the road gets long.

------------------
Semper Gumby

m1dadio
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM
How about a compressed air driven motor to rum the gennnerator when the batteries are down. With a tank of air you fill up with a larger ground based compressor at the garage or construction site??

Air motor techkno it getting much improved, Look at "airhogs"

Lets get out of the "BOX" use our heads and get off fossil fuel 100%!

We can do this!

M1

[This message has been edited by m1dadio (edited June 01, 2008).]

Staypuff68
06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Not a bad idea. The only problem being that air motor's are kinda hard to find right now and cost is still a factor for me. I think most of the conversion could be done via salvage yard and old forklifts. But as all vanners know, necesity is the mother of invention and an air motor is possible in the future.

------------------
Semper Gumby

m1dadio
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
if you must have a fuel driven pony engine then make it propane. half the price of gasoline and the exhaust is water and carbon dioxide only.If you have the money a seriously more efficient pony ehgine is a small turbine run on propane. Turbines run at one most eficient speed all the time and thats what is needed for a generator, one fixed best RPM. There are today small reletively cheep turbines that drive an automotive alternator as a standby charging system only but most electric vehicles user the same electric motor that drives the vehicle as a gennerator.

M1dadio

m1dadio
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
there is a car manufactured somewhere in Sweeden/netherlands area that is a compressed air driven car and is on the market in that country.

M1dadio

m1dadio
06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
here it is, the air powered van

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPE2B84Cxnk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPE2B84Cxnk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

m1

Staypuff68
06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
There is a company that make a propane fuel cell, they are used in forklifts and yachts. That might be a future option. But I know that you can find, make or buy an adaptor to run a regular lawn motor type ICE on propane. That too might be a good option, I can run my generator and grill some steaks at the same time, hmmmm.

------------------
Semper Gumby

m1dadio
06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
I can see that fuel has been so cheep for some of you for so long that it was a way of life and you had no reason to consider alternatives.

In the mid seventys fuel cost sky roketed here. By the late 70's alternative fuels was a happening thing. In the early 80's I owned a three bay garage that exclusively converted vehicles to propane or duel Gas/propane and I had a propane filling station. Its been popular here for years and now 30 years in improvements.

There is alot of alternative fuel equipment availible through manufacturers. Most you guys just havent yet explored the options.

many people here have been building at home electric vehicles and there exsists alt of manufactured equipment fir that too.As well as natural gas filling stations(not so popular)

m1

Rcollins
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
This is a really great thread. I've been interested in alternative fuels for quite some time now.
My next project is definitely going to be a hot rod with a turbo diesel that runs off straight vegetable oil.
I'd like to find 30's or 40's pick up and drop a 6.0L or a 6.4L powerstroke in it with a big veg oil tank in the bed.
Use that as main mode of transportation all summer long. still have lots of power, torque and fuel mileage without the price of diesel.
RC

[This message has been edited by Rcollins (edited June 02, 2008).]

Staypuff68
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
What about a Sterling engine to power the generator? Up until a reliable ICE was made they were the power of the indurtial revolution.

------------------
Semper Gumby

m1dadio
06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I am designing an engine that runs on unpaid bills.

M1