PDA

View Full Version : changing the windshield

okor
04-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Has anyone changed their windshield? I'm not talking just the glass; I'm talking about changing the entire frame to something newer and easier to find replacement glass for. I have a ford, sorry bout the four letter word, van here and I'm taking some measurements. It's 6" too wide, but with all the cutting I'm already doing, I'll just widen the whole thing. I need a frame that's a little flatter angle. I don't want to cut any custom glass as that gets expensive. Any suggestions? I'm cutting out the original dash, so that's not going to be a problem. I might even wind up putting in a bit of a longer nose for updated braking system. This will also give more room for possible ac stuff and more foot room.

Optik
04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
how about the dodge a-100 windshield? its two flat pieces with a division bar. you could probably section the frame to any width you want pretty easily.
-tim

okor
04-28-2004, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Optik:
how about the dodge a-100 windshield? its two flat pieces with a division bar. you could probably section the frame to any width you want pretty easily.
-tim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen one of those for years, let alone one with a split windsheild. Thats a concept I hadn't concidered. Running a split would be interesting, and with flatglass, that does have some addvantages. Thanks for the ideas.

aka Trebor
04-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Some of the windshields from the older vw buses are flat and pop out from the bottom, That might be an interesting fabrication.

okor
05-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Well the old frame is now toast and the new one is well under way to final fitting. Unfortunatly, this one meant I'm widening the whole body 7.25 inches, but just more shoulder room. We also saved the wiper box from the dodge, which means that the wipers are no longer inside the cab. Should be much quieter. This also meant that in order to install this, I had to cut out most of the front bulkhead as well. Not what I had orriginally planned on, but could also mean more footroom, and for someone my size, that's a good thing.

Vanner68
05-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Sounds like "How To Change An Early into a Late Model in 20,000 Easy Steps"....

okor
05-01-2004, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanner68:
Sounds like "How To Change An Early into a Late Model in 20,000 Easy Steps"....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's actually a 69, or soo they tell me. If it was an early, I wouldn't have this problem. The windshield that I'm using is from a 85 ram van. It should only be 18,000 steps.

Vanner68
05-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Just sounds like a lot of work, when the glass is available new, tinted even....

okor
05-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Just sounds like a lot of work, when the glass is available new, tinted even....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where were you last week when I was looking for glass?

Vanner68
05-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Trying to get stupid computer to work....
Auto glass shop can order them, but I see you progressed beyond the point of no return...kinda cool in a Mad Max sorta way!

okor
05-04-2004, 11:33 PM
On the bright side though, I got more shoulder room now. After all is said and done, it's actually 7.25 inches wider, as well as a few other "modern" features that are kinda sweet, including factory type air. Doing this "change" has more than doubled my work, but it should be worth it in the end.

Bunka
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Just sounds like a lot of work, when the glass is available new, tinted even....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can they order the windshield gasket also? I'm afraid to take mine out unless I can get a new gasket.

Joe Russin
05-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Bunka.2nd gen windshiels and seals avalable...!st gen guys are having problems locating the seals.
wind shiels and seals are avalible here....
www.prp.com (http://www.prp.com)
Wookee

s10gator
05-12-2004, 09:47 AM
someone replaced the windshield and frame before i picked up my 67 108. the job was OK, but the frame was tacked at about 1 inch intervals. now Iíll have to have a good body man/girl blend in the patched area. but at least it donít leak any longer...

------------------
S10Gator