PDA

View Full Version : Scattershield....Qs

fustkarr
01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll be using a steel scattershield behind my mouse and although i got it {and 2 pressure plates,a fork,throwout bearing and a early vett flywheel} for a good price, i didn't get the blocksaver plate. Does anyone know how to ID the scattelshield {manufacturer}, or failing that, does anyone happen to have a blocksaver around that they could measure. It appears that it should be around 3/16 or 1/4" thick. {measuring a cast iron b-housing i've got and comparing it to the scattershield}. The problem being: not the bellhousing to block holepattern but the scattershield to blocksaver boltpattern. If this is confusing, what im looking for is location of manufacturers id {on the scattershield} or the thickness of the blocksaver.
Thanks, Randy

smiley
01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Just when I thought I knew what I was talking about, you had to go and through out "scattershield" and "blocksaver plate".

What are those things and why have I never heard of them til now?

VankyPanky
01-18-2007, 09:44 PM
In racing protects the driver from blown clutch fragments, I believe. VP

TurboVan
01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Check this out Smiley
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/threespeed.shtml

TV

fustkarr
01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
The scattershield is just a steel hydroformed {i think} can, after its been formed into the shape of a bellhousing it has the engine block boltpattern drilled into it and also the transmission centering hole along w/the tapped holes to accept the trans bolts and fork pivot. If the shield has been enginered to accept a blocksaver{a plate that fits between the block and shield and protects the block from explosions} it is left oversize {on the block/bellhousing plane} and drilled to allow the blocksaver to be bolted to the bellhousing. This probably a good idea if your running a go-fast motor and legbuster clutch as it will save your block from an explosion. In my case i just wanted something that was easy to weld as i plan to rotate the clutch fork to the passenger side to make room for shift mechanism/cables.
Randy

karter43
01-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I cut a Jeep in half once when the flywheel exploded, had the "blow out proof bell housing" but no block saver, found the pressure plate, clutch disc, starter, transmission, ring gear (streached out streight) and a lot of chunks of flywheel on the track ...

chevy van 5150
02-01-2007, 12:32 AM
There used to be an urban legend about a guy in the late 60's who blew a clutch, and when he went to get out of the car he had no leggs.

Joe Russin
02-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Its not really a legend there was a local guy here that had a bad ass 56 chevy the blew a clutch and the pressure plate came through the floor and broke his right foot.

If you think about it where is it going in one of these vans.The tranny is well behind the drivers seat.Under a rather heavy floor.Kind of a waste of time...... IMO.........Wookee

gregw98
02-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Same thing happened to Don Garlits. That it what made him come up with the rear engine Top Fuel dragsters.