PDA

View Full Version : In The Doghouse

Flaming_Moe
06-15-2000, 11:46 AM
Hey guys,
My dad has a '65 with the standard 6cyl in it. He is wanting to put in a small block, but doesn't know if the doghouse is big enough. Do you have to change it out to one from a 67-70?? Any info on this would be really helpful. Signed, Austin age 16 (proud owner of a 67 GMC)

68chevyboy
06-15-2000, 01:49 PM
wow! another tenager that likes chevyvans. i thought i was the only one. on 64-66 chevyvans i think you do have to get another doghouse for it. but dont go chopping it up without checking first though. it may have originally came with a v-8 but i doubt it. van on man.

painterchris
06-15-2000, 11:46 PM
The 64-66 chevy vans were not designed to hold anything bigger than a straight six cylinder engine. Even if you could get a small block v-8 in it, the radiator would be too small (and how would you ever change the spark plugs. You need to find a 67 or later van and have the engine box cut out. Then, carefully, cut out the standard doghouse in the earlier van and have the larger box welded in. I just had this done on a 64, so here's my advice:

Be sure to get a good doghouse to start with. The one I used was fairly rusty and a lot of repair work had to be done on it.

Make sure you line it up properly so you don't have problems with clearance anywhere.

Leave to original parking brake lever in your van and simply modify the new engine box so that the upper bracket fits. It's easier than replacing the whole parking brake lever.

Good Luck.
Andy

painterchris
06-15-2000, 11:51 PM
...And don't forget to get the front seats out of the 67-70 van too. They mount differently than the earlier vans.
Later,
Andy.

Flaming_Moe
06-16-2000, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys!! I can already see that dad is gonna try to thief the doghouse out of my 67! I can't believe another teenager likes old Chevs either!! I guess the hobbie will be around for another generation. Austin

smiley
06-16-2000, 11:05 AM
if speed is your dad's goal, he can hop up a 250 or 292 to put in his van. the 250 weighs alot less than the 292, but either can get some serious horsepower when set up just right. i've heard they can give small blocks a run for the money!

solid side 65
06-17-2000, 12:22 AM
Wielding in the doghouse is one option. I used #10 machine screw nutserts in the floor, a captive rivet like female thread insert that can be installed from one side. It is similar to the nuts in a door that are used to fasten a mirror. I used about 20-25 and sealed it to the floor with high temp silicone sealer, I have also seen it done with sheet metal screws and plumbers putty. Being able to remove the entire cover from the floor gives greater access when dropping the new motor in.

Flaming_Moe
06-18-2000, 10:43 AM
I don't think dad is really looking for speed with the v-8, but the rumble of it. But never fear Smiley, soupin' up the six isn't out of the question, especially with the price of gas!