PDA

View Full Version : sunlight!

68chevyboy
06-20-2000, 11:59 AM
hey, i finally got to the point to where i can work on my van again. i had it in the garage and got sick of it sitting there, so we pushed it out. i reinstalled the instrument cluster installed a stereo, and put the doors together and i put them back on.when i got my van, it was steadily rusting, and at the time i diddnt have enough primer, so i found all the paint i could find and painted it. its problably 10 different colors right now, so that makes the van look real bad. now im nervos because im afraid my nosy neghbor will complain and we dont even have covenants in our neighborhood. so, im probably going to prime the whole thing red and leave it that way for a while. we custom made our own stainless steel gas tank, and we will be putting it in soon. the van doesnt need much else to run and i have 150$ saved for it, so i will probably drive it soon. i would give you guys a picture, but i dont have a scanner, so, ill try some way. thought you guys might like to hear, so thanks for reading. van on.

Vanner68
07-07-2000, 09:43 PM
Hey, good luck with gettin on the road! As far as the neighbors, ask if they have any pics of their first cars, bet they didn't look any better! Or you could ask for donations toward a paint job.....

68chevyboy
07-14-2000, 10:43 AM
guess what! today i am supposed to go get all the parts i need to get it running! i have 110$ extra to spend on it too. my father says we can get it running by this weekend. im going to drive it around on the dirt roads behind my house. ive waited a year for this and i am really excited. yet another chevy van will run around. van on guys. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

smiley
07-14-2000, 02:02 PM
congratulations. i'll never forget my first time (driving an early, that is!)

Vanner68
07-14-2000, 05:12 PM
Hot Dog! Well, you are one up on me as my 68 is still in need of an upper windshield frame. I know that having put your own blood,sweat and tears (not to mention money) in your van, you will be a safer and more careful driver than most first timers!

68chevyboy
07-19-2000, 06:33 PM
things have been going a little behind, and a thing or two has come up so, im not exactly on schedule. but now, all i need to do is make some trans lines, hook up the starter wiring, battery cables, throttle linkage, rear end bolts, u-joint, oil change,clean the rust out of the fuse box,put in the radiator, battery and hoses. ive been working close to non stop for the past three days, and its coming together. does anyone have any helpful hints in these areas? and by the way, my front leaf springs are extrremely low. how can i fix this without replacing them? if i have to replace them, does anyone have any? i would greatly appreciate any help. im going to get it to crank this weekend. by the way, i dont think that ill hardly get on the gas at all when i drive it. i love my van way too much, because i have put blood sweat and tears into it. thanks and van on

Yeggster
07-20-2000, 12:11 AM
Springs!

I just did my fromt springs......what I did was pull them out (definatily need torches for this) and take them to the spring shop.......tell them to just ADD one leaf and NOT re-arch them.

This makes it cheaper (think I paid $55) and works good......I was rasing mine up a bit to match the 1 ton rear end so I got two added.

If you can't pull them yourself.....drop the van off for the same job but expet to pay much more.

Shane

68chevyboy
07-21-2000, 09:12 PM
HELP!
ive just realized the shifter i got isint right. its too fat and too short. plans are gong smooth now [knock on wood] and i think i may get it running between now and sometime next tuesday. i have two problems. the starter neutral switch, and the shifter. the manual i have doesent explain the switch well, and i think its missing a part or two, and i am not familiar with how it works. could someone please explain it to me?
the shifter. does anyone know anything that will work instead of an original. any cars have the same one? thanks guys, and van on.

Duane 70gmc
07-22-2000, 12:56 AM
The unit that is attached to the side of my power glide on my 70, near the shift mechanism, I believe is a combination back-up light and nuetral safety switch. I'll have to double check this but I think that there is a rod, ( about an 1/8 of an inch in diameter and about 6 inches long ), that goes from the nuetral saftey switch to the shift lever that is attached to the trans.........but sitting here thinking about it for a minute that could be part of the passing gear linkage. I'll take a look and see if there's anything that looks like it would be of help. Have an after market manual but it's coverage of the early vans is extremely limited

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

68chevyboy
07-22-2000, 08:15 PM
im going to my next door neighbors house tommorrow[a.k.a. the junkard i got my van at] and i am going to search for the linkage, a fan,and a shifter. i still am having trouble with finding another gearshifter[the handle] does anyone know anything that will work in its place other than an exact original? thanks for all the help, and van on. it might crank tomorrow!!!! http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

68chevyboy
07-24-2000, 12:26 PM
im still having trouble finding a shifter and a piece of linkage for the starter neutral switch. i think i can make the piece of linkage, but i still cant find the shifter. i am going to take all the linkage apart, so i can test my trans. after all this work, i think my trans is blown. im not sure though. arrrrggghhhhh! its spins in all positions with the linkage on, but im not sure if i have found all the positions because i dont have a shifter OR an indicator. im hoping its not blown. i dont have enough money to buy tools to build one, or buy a built one. and everyone says there is no such thing as a good junkyard trans. im going to cross my fingers and prey its good. otherwise ill have another immobile vehicle in my yard. is a trans off an oldsmobile applicable to a chevrolet 307? i know someone who will give me one for cheap. van on, and thanks.

Vanner68
07-24-2000, 04:11 PM
1) your shifter- possibly from a mid 60's chevy car, but not sure. most guys swapping in an automatic mount a B&M shifter on the engine cover and get a long cable, but this will set ya back a couple hundy, so it may be out of your budget.
2) free trans- If the olds had a small block chevy in it, your ok. if it was an Olds motor, maybe, if the trans has the so-called universal bellhousing. the B-O-P ( buick, olds, pontiac) bellhousings are different from the chevys. measure the mounting holes at the top of the trans and if they are the same as your trans, your ok.

68chevyboy
07-25-2000, 03:01 PM
guess what. i had to disconnect the trans linkage and found out that the trans is okay. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
my dad had the linkage on upside down. so, i guess i will have to hunt down a mid sixties chevy then. van on and thanks.

68chevyboy
07-27-2000, 09:04 PM
arrrrrgghhhh! i swear i was a minute away from cranking it, and all i had to do was put water in, and trans fluid. this all changed when i looked under the van and saw that there were two holes in the radiator. man! oh well, i hear that patience is a virtue i will just have to get. im going to pay my uncle 25$ to sauder them, so hopfully i wont have any more setbacks. but still, setbacks or not, i still love working on my van. it will run very soon. since i was last on the net, i painted close to half of it and it looks way more descent. still havent found a shifter though, so, it ain't going anywhere. i'll probably make one. man, im happy. so close.... van on, and thanks

Vanner68
07-27-2000, 09:25 PM
well, at least you found the holes BEFORE you fired it up! Can't help ya on a stock shifter, and sounds like you are a bit too low budget for the B&M route, so good luck on the fab job, owning an early will make a metalworker and fabricator out of you!

JD
07-28-2000, 12:42 AM
Hey chevyboy ! i may have a shift lever for you! (If) i still have it!I will look in my van part pile in my storage this weekend and let you know! if i have it, its yours (FREE).
You remind me of me with my first van (25?? years ago)...Later little van dude...JD....

68chevyboy
07-28-2000, 02:46 PM
cool man! i'll see if my parents will okay it. we'll work something out. thanks man! van on.

JD
07-28-2000, 11:11 PM
HEY CHEVYBOY...IF I HAVE IT , IT IS YOURS FOR FREE !!!! I WILL EVEN MAIL IT TO YOU FOR
$FREE.......GOING TO LOOK TOMORROW!!.....
WE GOTTA GET YOU UP AND RUNNIN........JD...

JD
07-30-2000, 07:52 PM
HEY CHEVYBOY!...LOOKED IN THE STORAGE BUT DOESN'T APPEAR THAT I HAVE IT..ALSO WENT BACK TO THE BONEYARD THAT I GOT SOME DOORS FROM THE OTHER DAY , ONLY TO FIND THAT SOMEBODY GOT THE WHOLE COLUMN!!!I HAVE ONE MOR "TRICK UP MY SLEEVE"..I'LL POST MY FINDINGS TOMORROW NITE!...LATER..VAN ON...JD

68chevyboy
07-30-2000, 09:40 PM
you dont have to go through all that trouble man. i really appreciate it. lots. because now thats all i need. i did it! i finally accolmplished my goal! today i put ten gallons of gas in that sucker and it fired on the first try![that is, after i got the distributor in the right spot] that thing ran like a scalded dog. it sounded really cool with the headers by themselves.
i bet you it scared the neighbors, and made animals run and hide. i took it off the jacks, cleaned it completely out and sat down, and just smiled. you probably wont be able to wipe the grin off my face for days, maybe even weeks. anyway, thanks j.d. for the shifter, and ill see if my parents okay it. thanks to everyone in the v.c.v.c and everyone on the message board. without you guys, it would have taken a whole lot longer, and would have been harder. thanks and van on.

68chevyboy
07-30-2000, 10:33 PM
wait! j.d., i was talking to my father and it turns out he doesent want me to get anything in the mail through the internet. and it turns out that hes already making one> im really sorry man, and thanks for all the trouble. hope i diddint cause too much trouble. thanks, and van on

JD
07-31-2000, 12:55 AM
NOT A PROBLEM CHEVYBOY!!CONGRADULATIONS ON IT FIRING UP AND THANKS TO YOUR DAD FOR MAKING THE PART!..KEEP US POSTED AND SEND SOME PICTURES OF YOUR VAN TO SMILEY!!........
..LATER LITTLE VANNER..CHEVY RULES!!!....JD..

Vanner68
08-01-2000, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear you are up n running! your dad sounds pretty cool, doing this much help on your van. but let him know that although there are creeps in cyberspace, i haven't met any creeps that are vanners, yet. i would hate to hear that he would banish you from the most satisfying part of vannin, the brotherhood that you will see at you first van-in!

68chevyboy
08-01-2000, 10:48 PM
yeah he is pretty cool, and were kinda new to the net so we are kinda weary, but he'd probably want to go to a van in with me. we both like traveling. so far i got the whole thing down to just two colors, exept the bumpers. now, it looks descent, and runs reeal goood. its a long way from what i started with. we discovered we may be able to drive it without a shifter, maybe. we just gotta figure out the linkage, we've discovered a few mistakes and problems , just by playing around with it. it will move real soon, and now, i got a job! now i'll have extra money,so i will probably be able to join the club. i will try to send in pictures every chance i get. i suppose the first real trip i take in my van will be to a van in. i know what you guys mean about the brotherhood of vanning, because there is a kid a little older than me in my neighborhood that drives an astro with a v-8 in it. i stare at all cool cars and im always in my driveway working on my van, so weve exchanged a few respectful glances. i think rollie is right. vanning should be taught in school. my van has kept me and my freind out of a whole lot of trouble. it helps me respect myself and not give in to my peers , because i dont want to do anything else, but work on the van.
the van is coming along, and so is the supply of money, so the pace of this project should quicken. good luck with your projects too, and have fun. may vanning live on forever!

68chevyboy
08-07-2000, 11:00 PM
http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif oh my gawd!! the van moved! i drove it on the roads back behind my house! that thing is really weird to drive! now i DEFINITELY will never get rid of it. i barely ever got it over idle and it goes fast enough to cruise a parking lot, or a residential street without even touching the gas. i have concluded the engine i bought for only 200$ with very low mileage, and i dont know what the builder put in it, has a rough racing cam in it. i adjusted the timing and it sounds and runs perfect. it cranks up on the first try. i drove it to the guys house from which i bought it from, and i could clearly see that he was proud and amazed it ran. we knocked on the door and yelled, but nothing worked to wake him up but revvin' the van, he, he,. i also found out my van has a limited slip 10 bolt differential, and i acquired this info from burnin out so much. this vans brakes will stop on a dime, and throw you through the windshield while its at it, and i am still using the 17+ year old brake fluid. i havent even took the drums off either! my van, with the hacked up wiring, the trans sitting, and the brakes prove this is a TOUGH vehicle. i drove this thing enough to literally blow the tires off. im serious. wasted two tires. they were trash anyway. when you tap the gas, it burns out, and i cant even tell until i see the tracks. it is so fun to drive, and especially an early. not even a chevelle is as much fun. it was so much fun, and it was the most fun i have ever had in my life. bad thing is though, i blew the tires and i hope that they will fill back up so i can drag it out of the woods. right now it its stuck on a hump. obviuosly, pine straw hills are easier to go down than up. i love my van, and i hope you all have as much fun with yours as i have had with mine. my smile has still not come off my face since it cranked. thanks for reading, and van on. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

JD
08-09-2000, 12:26 AM
Congradulations Chevyboy!! Go easy on it for a while tho! Stuck in the woods with blown tires??Chevys are the toughest but let it stretch it muscles for a while, its been some time since its been cruisin! Van on dude!!..........................JD.........

Vanner68
08-10-2000, 09:07 PM
heh heh heh, kids. won' go into the hell i've put mine thru......

punkvanner
09-07-2000, 11:56 PM
i know what the kid is feeling i too had a chevy van as my first it was a 67 paneli paid $350 i put so much work into that thing i toataly re buitlt the 6 that was in it with help from my metals teacher we macheind the block he provided my flors that i welded in in welding class i used my sophmore year in high school rebuilding my van i had every thin but the body work done an now im con sidering tradeing it for a 67 biscane with a 283 and a 86 s10 blazer with a five speed but i 'll need to find a new early need a new van to cruze.

68chevyboy
09-09-2000, 08:37 PM
im back to the internet! my van is still running strong, and i keep drivin' it. i aint hit anything yet, and the motor shows no sign of stoppin. it leaks a tiny bit of oil from the sending unit, barely touches the shroud, and the belts loose.. it still runs fine, and i finally put exhaust on it. now, im gonna put a fusebox in, and hope stuff works. im gonna get it street legal. punkvanner, mine is probably in worse condition than yours, bodywise that is, and im still going to fix it. as a matter of fact, thats the next thing im doing. im going to take a good look through the gallery and get ideas for colors. so far im thinking blue, or chevy orange. which do you guys think is better? thanks, and van on.

Vanner68
09-12-2000, 03:31 PM
Either color would be cool, although the orange would really stand out! Whatever you choose, make sure you do the bodywork real smooth cuz paint amplifies mistakes!

68chevyboy
09-17-2000, 07:40 PM
i've looked through the gallery and i have decided the color of ron duncans blue 108 is the color i like. on the message board i mentioned another chevy van that i saved then lost. well, a few weeks later i called the guy trying to buy it myself. i got the guy to keep it another week so i could get the money and it was a ''maybe i just might get it possibly if im lucky'' type of situation. well it turns out a guy bought it for the 400$ the guy wanted. so the van was saved from the crusher. a month later, the van was still there, so i called, asking what happened. the guy bought it, and then he left it. turns out he needs money bad so i offered 300$. SOLD! i get it this weekend.
i cant keep it in my yard, and i dont have time to sell it as it is, so im going to use it for parts. im even using most of the carcass. im going to chop the front off, use or sell every single part on it, then im turning the back half into a camper trailer that matches my van. so, im happy with the way this turned out, sort of, but at least none of it is going to waste. oh yeah, i found a crack in my windsheild today, and if i find out who or what did it, ill ring its neck! van on, and thanks for reading.

68chevyboy
09-20-2000, 01:22 PM
allright, now im trying to think. what should i do? should i make an rv style trailer out of the second one, put my nasty dented parts off mine on it and sell it as a running vehicle that needs a trans, or use the floor as a car hauler, or completely hack it apart and completely redo my other van? thanks, and keep on trucking.

Yeggster
09-20-2000, 11:44 PM
If you go with trailer Idea I may have a use for the front axles and steering box.....if I can afford them (where are you I forget) and the shipping

I want to explore the idea of converting my front end so it uses 80's chevy pick up disc breakes....but keeping the 66 solid front axle.....for one for the breaking capacity and 2 to match my back axle 8 bolt patern and tires.....and 3 I have the 80's chevy pick up front end already

Since I;m driving the van I can't experiment with axle I have so that would be the only way.....I also want to rebuild my steering gear but can;t have the van off the road so that would make a quick swap too.

Shane

68chevyboy
09-25-2000, 07:25 AM
allright, this bites. now the guy is trying to cheat me. now he wants 75$ for the wheels.
dad went down there while i was at work, and he says that the guy took everything off the dash but the cluster, the heater is missing, the rear wheels have been swapped, they are bshed to heck, andd the tires are dry rotted. the motor aint no good even though he says so. looks like someone poured water in the carb. now, windows are missing and all sorts of stuff like that. everyone down there other than the guy says its some womans. that jerk. ill just start junkyard hopping. van on.

68chevyboy
10-03-2000, 07:08 PM
back to work! ive taken the windsheid, heating system, and tons of of electrical stuff off. the windsheild was hard to get out because it has so much rust dirt and trash in it. we destroyed it trying to get it out. [because of the trash]. well vanner68, i know how you feel because i need to fix my windsheild frame too. swiss cheese it is. so ive decided that i am going to completely redo the whole van instead of halfway. ive started gutting it, and then the bodywork will come. it aint that far from being worthwhile to someone other than me. hey i love the driving stories in the favorite style board. keep on truckin. thanks.

Vanner68
10-04-2000, 08:14 PM
swiss eh? more'n what i got. good luck! at least you got parts vans in your area. i aint got nuthin here unless ol duane comes thru with a front clip for his GMC

68chevyboy
10-21-2000, 05:30 PM
i drove the van around the woods about 20 minutes two days ago, and as always, it purred like a kitten. when i finally shut it off, i realized that i had parked wrong. okay, hop in, turn it on and park it right? wrong. im missing step two. it wont crank. wel ive suspected one of three things, or a combination. what i think is wrong is the fact that the fan belt is waaaaay too loose. but, it could also be the alternator, or the starter just got too hot. but since my alternator bracket i have on it is so rigged up it wont hold the alternator right in any way. my problem.....i try to find an alternator bracket and they try to give me a stock one. i cant use the stock one. it mounts to the exhaust manifold an i have headers. any suggestions????? thanks and van on.

smiley
10-21-2000, 11:51 PM
I don't know of an easy solution for the bracket. You'll proabaly have to modify a small block bracket.

As for the loose belt. I'd say that may be your starting problem. If the belt isn't turning the altenator properly, you're running the vehicle off of the battery alone while you drive. Without an altenator charge, you can run a battery down very quickly.

If the altenator is working properly and the belt is tight, you will be able to disconnect the battery while the van is running and it will not kill. If the belt is loose or the altenator is bad, when you disconnect the battery terminal, the van should kill.

Vanner68
10-22-2000, 01:33 PM
I use a 70's style alternator bracket, and have the alt up high like on newer vans. However, if you have the original 307 in your van, there are no mount hole for the bottom of the alternator. take a look at some street rod mags, I have seen a way to deal with this on a few street rods, the kits are likely to be $$$$$, but you may be able to figure a way to fab somthing.

68chevyboy
11-14-2000, 04:58 PM
well its been a while since ive done any real vanning, and im getting irritated. i guess i have what you would call,"vanners block". turns out i cant buy anymore vans, cant think of anything to do to mine, and ive been bored for months now. im going to do paint and body next, and i cant think of a place to do it. my garage isint big enough, i cant do it in the middle of the yard, and the woods,well too mch pine straw and trash and dirt. but, i have to do it in the woods. any suggestions??????? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/frown.gif

smiley
11-14-2000, 09:04 PM
Well, bodywork can be done outside. In addition, you can build a cheap spraybooth with 2"x4"s and visquine. I'm in the same boat; small van...even smaller garage.

You'll find that over time, the passion will ebb and flow. It's not so much about you or the van. Usually, other things in life take the wheel for a while while the van looks on. The one thing I've learned about my van, and I'm sure it's the same with many others, is that they're not short on patience. However long it takes to get around to working on them, they're still there.

Vanner68
11-15-2000, 03:56 PM
The temporary spray booth will work well, just make an opening for a 20" box fan to draw paint fumes out. duct tape the fan in the opening and tap furnace filters over the fan to keep paint over spray from ruining the fan.

68chevyboy
11-16-2000, 06:40 PM
great ideas, i have the stuff to do it too, and for cheap! hey watch out for glass fuel filters, they obviously arent tight enough from the factory (aftermarket that is) and mine spewed gas all over the motor and coulda blown me and the van to smitherines. from now on i double check all new parts. thanks! and van on.

Vanner68
11-16-2000, 06:46 PM
I had the same problem on my Harley, and the filter sits between the cylinders! I only use steel or aluminum bodied filters now. Oh, yeah- Don't overtighten the glass filters, they crack!

JD
11-17-2000, 09:55 AM
Build a plastic "Garage" ..Get a big roll of plastic(viscone?)..Find a place where the trees will act as something to hold the plastic and go for it....GET A GOOD PAINTERS BREATHING MASK THO BECAUSE PAINT FUMES ARE VERY BAD FOR THE BRAIN CELLS!! ...LATER............JD......................
I painted one in my front yard once (18 cans) while my dad was mowing the yard..Luckily we had a grass catcher!.

68chevyboy
12-14-2000, 03:36 PM
well, i know what color im painting my van now. i found this place called perma tech that makes truck bed paint. they have a new bedliner paint that glows in the dark! yes, its true, and it is for sale to the public. im getting neon yellow. they claim that it glows ten hours after exposure to light. the only thing that could hold me back is my wallet. i would probably even paint it on if it was rough. i mean, whats the worst that could happen? if i dont like it i could sand it off, right?

Vanner68
12-14-2000, 05:03 PM
Ask the manufacturer how to remove it. I know the Rhino liner stuff is permanent.

punkvanner
12-15-2000, 12:33 PM
use some clear plastic and 2x4s and construct an paint booth

68chevyboy
12-15-2000, 03:23 PM
im gonna do the 2x4 and plastic idea, and everything is pretty much figured out, but for the floor, what should i do? i thought of using gravel, but wont that let morning dew ruin the paint at the bottom? and concrete will take weeks to dry, costs too much, and is too permanent more info on one of these ideas or any other ideas would be appriciated.

smiley
12-15-2000, 05:28 PM
A few cheap canvas drop cloths would work fine. You can get a couple 9'x12's to cover the whole area. You can find the cheap ones for about $12-$15.

TurboVan
12-15-2000, 11:34 PM
Do like they do with boats in the boatyard: build a tent around it to protect it while you're spraying it. Smiley, a word of caution: disconnecting the alternator while the engine is running can cause the system voltage to go out of sight, blowing out the diodes. It might not happen every time, but it can, especially if the engine is revved up when you do it. Happens to boat alternators all the time.

68chevyboy
12-28-2000, 01:16 PM
yeesh! god its cold. i went in for the winter so not much is goin' on. but, i did get a set of smoothies for christmas. now i need tires to put on them. the wheels are 14x7's and i dont know the maximum tire size for all round the van, and i was wondering if anybody could tell me. also i dont want the place that mounts my tires to put the balance weights on the front of the wheels. ill have a cow if they get scratched. and now that christmas is over, i can start spending money on a paint booth. let the vanning begin!

Vanner68
12-28-2000, 01:45 PM
Really, on a 14" rim, practically anything that will mount on a 7" wide rim will fit. a good place to start would be about a 235-60/14. I have a 295-50/15 rear and 225-60/15 front on my 68 with no problems. Wheel weights can be put on without scratching the chrome, if you put them all on the backside you may still have an imbalance at hiway speeds. one way to seperate trailer queens from drivers is by where the owner puts the balancing weights.

68chevyboy
01-19-2001, 12:55 PM
im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot. i want to completely redo my van, but i want to drive it too, and do stuff like go to the vcvc meet. i could primer it, put my smoothies on it, some tires, fix the wiring, a few odds and ends, wingwindows and a windsheild and a seat, put it back together and whala! id have a somewhat good looking beater that i could motor around town in happily not to mention quickly. or i could fix an amc pacer (barf) drive it around two or three years while i perfect my van and finally drive the van when im 18 or 19 and have it beautiful and needless of any work. you guys have done a lot of projects. what would you do?

painterchris
01-19-2001, 02:22 PM
Hmm...
It's funny that you mention this, because it's something I have been thinking about a lot lately. My 64 is definitely NOT where I want it to be, but it's my everyday driver, so doing major work on it can be difficult. On the other hand, I can't afford another car, so I have to either drive the van and work on it when I can, or get rid of it and buy a different vehicle. I guess my suggestion is this: if you are absolutely committed to restoring your current van, you will probably need an everyday driver car to use when you are doing major work on the van. As you get things done, you can drive the van until you get motivated to do more work on it. The other option is to find another van to restore. From what you've said, your van sounds pretty rough. You may want to find a better restoration project and use your current van as the every day vehicle until the other one is finished. Basically, though, only you can make the decision. It's tough. I've been so fed up with my van lately that I want to sell it and get something else, but I'm broke. I might be able to get $1200 for it right now, but that wouldn't give me enough cash to buy a decent replacement vehicle, so I'm stuck. If my van was unreliable, I'd get rid of it, but as much as it irritates me, it's only broken down twice in a year and a half. Both times were electrical problems that I have fixed. Anyway, enough of my complaining. You need to do what makes you happy. Basically, that means you need to decide if you want to restore your current van, or get another one. Restoring a car while you drive it makes the work go VERY slowly, so I don't recommend it.

BTW, if you want to buy a nice 64, let me know...
Andy.

smiley
01-19-2001, 02:28 PM
I've seen guys on both sides of your fence. Some prefer to use their van while it's in restoration so others can see their progres and they can enjoy the van, while other (like myself) would prefer to wait until the project is completed and unveil their master achivement in one grand motion!

It's probably more practical to "drive & restore", but I've always had this dream of a dramatic entrance at the end of all the hard work. Problem is (at least for me), that I probably won't finish my "master work" before my 80th birthday...provided God lets me hang around that long!

pat69chevan
01-19-2001, 02:52 PM
i would rather drive mine while i restore it because these vans turn peoples heads, my baby has been setting in my driveway for a couple of months while i work on it, but i am itching to drive her now.

i just had to jump in this long page and get my two cents in.

later

pat

68chevyboy
01-19-2001, 04:58 PM
painterchris, i might be interested in buying your64. if anything happens it wont be any time soon because i have to get my yard/projects/garage clean and stable, and i also have to prove to my father i am worthy of another vehicle and i need the money. i am intersted in the van. how does it look, what kind of engine does it have, what condition is it in, and how much do you want??

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited January 19, 2001).]

Vanner68
01-19-2001, 08:31 PM
Downside to the option of not driving your van until it's done: Engines do not like to sit around doing nothing. Sometimes you take things apart, and forget how they go back together. If you move, it is difficult to move a van that is in several pieces, and your new neighbors will look at you funny.
I speak from experience. I left my van sit way too long, and things that were minor problems became major problems. What started out to be a winter project of sand it down and paint it has turned into a 4 yr ordeal, this after having the van since 79! If you are going to immobilize your van, do it for only a short time. In other words, bust *** on it so it's up and running before the gremlins(or Pacers) set in!

68chevyboy
01-20-2001, 06:00 PM
sadly, i already know what you are talking about. right now my van is a steering wheel, suspension, drivetrain and removeable wiring harness(normally not installed). i got a hold of a set of wrenches sadly so i completely dissaaembled it and scattered the parts to the four winds. i bought this van to learn how to work on cars and i've learned i need organization. i wouldent need to reassemble it if i hadent destroyed it. im thinking of taking the motor back out and starting completely over again and get all the little things i missed like holes in the doghouse. i would be happy with starting over but i want to drive it real bad. this v is probaly the most beat up van youve ever seen but it has sentemental value to me. if i spend 72.00 a week on it(my paycheck) how long would it take to paint it, do body work and redo every corner??

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited January 20, 2001).]

prostreet65
01-20-2001, 07:10 PM
Your van is way cooler than a pacer no matter
what it looks like! I've seen a lot of project cars abandoned because people will
take it all apart and then get overwhelmed by
all the work they need to do. Best thing to
do is try to set realistic goals for yourself, like "today, I'm going to put my
steering column back in" and then work on that one thing until it's completely done.
That way you'll be more satisfied with your
progress. You could make a list of the most
important things you need to do, tape it to
the side of your van, and start checking them
off. So don't get discouraged! You're young,
it's OK to make mistakes, just learn from
them and remember that the guys that never
screw anything up probably aren't doing any
thing. Good luck... John

nagant
01-21-2001, 06:13 PM
i'm in that situation too, cept i'm 38! i was never a good wrench man and made litle probs into monsters when your age because of lack of organazation. don't get hung up on perfection except where safty is an issue. it sounds like you have good help so the list idea is the way to go. instead of (i'm gong to do the body today) do a quarter pannel or wheel bearings. and have a parts ride lined up before you tear into something. good luck

painterchris
01-21-2001, 10:14 PM
Well, like I said, If I was going to sell my van, I'd really be looking to get at least $1200 for it. Unfortunately, it needs quite a bit of bodywork. It doesn't have all that much rust (no rust holes), but it has a lot of dents and dings. Most of the work I've done to it is stuff that few people would even notice, so it doesn't look that impressive. Anyway, I think I'll have to keep it until I can afford something better, which will be 8 months from now at the earliest. Probably more like a year. Anyway, I know you said your dad was a little wary of people on the internet, but if you want to see my van sometime, let me know. I could drive by on the weekend and let you check it out. I live in midtown Atlanta, so I'm not that far away. I might also be able to help you figure out how to put your van back together, since I've had nearly every single piece of mine disassembled at one time or another. Just e-mail me: elbarto37@yahoo.com

LAter,
Andy.

68chevyboy
01-22-2001, 06:13 PM
thanks andy, i appreciate the invite. i probably wont be able to do anything anytime soon but when i start getting out on my own some, i might come see the van one day but, until then i just have to sit at home. dont sell your van, just have patience. yours is on the road, mine is still sitting. ive decided that under my conditions, im just going to get it on the road like it is until i can move out on my own and get another car (or two) he, he,. i went out to look at the van and it is steadily rusting. even the brand new carb and chrome (my bad). my van will always be cool, because it has character, almost as if each dent tells the story of a sad abusive past. and seeing it still motoring along, having the ability to smoke the guy next to you at will is going to be cool. ive officially decided that this is my FIRST car and a complete restoration is unnescesary and waaaay out of my league. (right now). i can always keep it. it has already made it 33 years, 16 of which were spent being an abused storage shed. so after coming to these conclusons, i went outside, got a wheelbarrow full of parts and sanded and primed each one. then ill paint them, and keep getting wheelbarrow loads and sand and paint them. ill keep doing this, and sometime soom have the grand entrance mr. smiley talked about,without the shine. i could amaze my freinds, because frankly no onei know(exept you guys)beleives i can fix it and i will prove them wrong. i did like vanner 68 said, and i got off my a@# and did the work. there is still more to do, lots more, and i will be ready for the meet. be prepared for thousands of tech questions, because i will have a lot as i go, so bear with me and thanks a lot for the support. van on!

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited January 22, 2001).]

Vanner68
01-22-2001, 08:17 PM
You've got the right attitude! My 68 is my first van, and I don't think I intended to keep it this long, I'm sure I didn't mean for it to take 20+ yrs to finish(still not done).I'm now undoing all the dumb stuff I did back when I was in my 20's. As a side note, get a van as a second car, parts chaser , whatever- It can haul all the odds and ends you'll need to get and you'll be driving a van so you are used to it when you get your pride and joy back together!

68chevyboy
02-02-2001, 08:11 PM
hey guys got the plug wires right today and found sevral problems. when i turn the key it starts on the second click instead of the third which creates a grinding noise from the starter, and when it does turn over, all the wires make popping and hissing noises and it acts strange. basically the wiring is fried because i took it out, and just hooked up the ignition switch and the engine plug and left the bundle laying in the floor. yes i know it was stupid, but i just had to take it out becuse i wanted to see how easy it was to remove it. now i regret it (had to learn the hard way) so im hurting. i bought the van to learn how to work on cars by the way so im not a complete idiot, just..... anyway what i was wondering is how much should a complete wiring harness cost in a junkyard? any ideas??????

68chevyboy
02-11-2001, 07:32 PM
well, its me again guys, and im gonna need help. things arent going so well with cars these days, and all of ours are dying, so im going to have to get the van fixed soon before the last one dies. i just rode home in a tow truck because our taurus's trans blew (saw that one coming). and our truck knocks like a mercedes deisel, so thats not good, but hey, at least it runs. i have two main problems. the first im going to need your help with. the wiring digrams in the haynes manual isnt so good, and theres details missing i need. my wiring is fried, so im going to get another out of a junkyard for 100$. is that a fair price? how do i tell if its any good?? i can also get a windsheild from him too, and doors for 75$. will the wiring digram for a 67 on this site work on my 68? any suggestions, hints, comments, or any reply is appreciated.

painterchris
02-11-2001, 08:00 PM
Well, if your harness is fried, you don't really have much choice but to pay what the junkyard wants for one. I think that's a bit high, but not unreasonable if it's in good shape.

Here are some tips on checking it out: are the wires still flexible or does the insulation crack when you bend them? How many spots are there where the wires are cut and taped/wirenutted back together? Do the wires run helter skelter all over the place, or does it seem relatively well organized? Do the wires look original or do they look like they've been replaced (if they all look like the same size/color, they've been replaced)? If it fails any of these tests, it's not worth $100.

Good luck. And try to get all of the electrical switches (wiper, ignition, etc) with the wires if you're going to pay that much for it.

Later,
Andy.

painterchris
02-11-2001, 09:06 PM
BTW, where are you getting the harness from? I just located another early (a 65 I think) only 2 miles from my apartment. I'm going to stop by the place where it's sitting and ask if it's for sale, whole or parts.

Later,
Andy.

painterchris
02-13-2001, 08:27 AM
Hey 68Chevyboy,
How soon do you have to have the wiring harness? I am making arrangements to buy a 69 sportvan 108" for parts. If I get it, you can have the wiring harness if you take it out. The downside is this: the van is located in North Carolina. If the sale goes thru, you could come help me strip parts on a weekend and I'd let you keep anything I don't need, free of charge. I am mostly interested in the auto tranny setup and the side and rear doors. Use the e-mail button above this post if you want to talk to me about it.
LAter,
Andy.

68chevyboy
02-23-2001, 07:53 PM
GREAT NEWS! spring time in georgia is quickly approaching, and with better weather more vanning will be done. heres the good part;i just got a car to drive so i can fix my van up right. i bought a numbers matching, somewhat rusty, running, driving 70' chevelle for 500$. i made off with it like a bandit in the night. so, im getting it street legal and ill drive that, until i can get the dramatic entrance smiley talked about when the van's done. i got most of my parts inside, and i have called a few junkyards in search of parts. where can i get stuff rechromed? i have a bucket of stuff to rechrome and i have no clue where to look.i also want to jack up the rear end and put some fat meats in the rear. im gonna paint it black and white sportvan two toned style and flames somewhere. i found all kinds of psychedelic fur type fabric im gonna make the interior out of. i also want lots of chrome. LOTS. did sportvans and handi- buses have chrome that didnt come on the panels? and how do you jack up the rear?

68chevyboy
02-23-2001, 08:06 PM
by the way, i was talking about fixing up the van, and not the chevelle. also, i got a little water in my motor,and i should be shot for not covering it up, how can i get rid of the water?

TurboVan
02-24-2001, 12:00 AM
I recommend air bags to jack it up. To get rid of the water, remove the plugs, spray in some WD40, crank it over for a few seconds, replace the plugs, run it until the oil filter is warm, then change the oil if it looks at all milky. You might also have to rebuild the carb if it doesn't run right. Good luck --- TV

[This message has been edited by TurboVan (edited February 24, 2001).]

68chevyboy
02-26-2001, 08:23 PM
well, i found some airbags in jc whitney for pretty cheap, and i painted the front wall flat black. i need to find a good parts van i can strip without bringing the carcass home, and ive decided to build a two by four paint booth with plastic tarps and im going to paint it myself. im going to paint it two toned sportvan styled black and white. my dad can use a sprayer pretty good and we have a good enough air compressor for the job. my question is, what coats do i sand and what grit paper do i use? also, do i need to sand and reapply the clearcoat??

prostreet65
02-27-2001, 09:03 PM
I don't paint but a guy I work with does. He
was telling me about a paint system called
"basecoat-clearcoat". He said it's real easy
because you don't have to put the color on
heavy to make it shine, the clear is what
makes it shine and he said it was real hard
to get it to run. I was trying to talk him
into painting a car for me, he said I should
try it myself. I just might! Good luck and
wear a good respirator. Later, John

68chevyboy
02-28-2001, 02:02 PM
so that means i dont have to get the paint perfect, just the clearcoat. cool! thanks.

68chevyboy
03-06-2001, 01:51 PM
well i called about ten or eleven junkyards today and almost every one said no as soon as i said chevy van. that bothered me. but finally i called a junkyard and they said that they had three in bad shape that were partially gutted and he didnt sound too happy about me asking. then i found one that said they had one that had been sitting back there for years and he didint know anything at all about it. then i called one down the street from me that said they had sevral, and he said he saved them because he knew someone would want them eventually. he was real friendly and he said they were complete, and he said he would sell me one if i wanted one. im going sometime soon, and i just might pick up an extra van or two http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif
i just might have that van ready for the rally!

painterchris
03-06-2001, 09:21 PM
Hey Chevyboy,
Maybe you can help me out. I am beginning to shop for my next project. I have decided that I'm going to get my chevy cleaned up this summer and keep it as my everyday car, but I am going to be looking for another van to fully strip down and restore. I'm looking for either a 64-66 chevy sportvan with a clean, straight body, or a 68-74 ford (those are the ones with the really short hood) short wheelbase window van, again with a clean straight body. So, if you come across either of these vehicles in your travels, let me know. I'm just starting the search now, so I can buy it in the fall.
Later,
Andy.

Yeggster
03-06-2001, 11:34 PM
69!

My nieghbour just painted pickup OUTSIDE in below zero weather in his back yard

He made a tarp tent/house and put a couple propane heaters in it (not even real good ones either) he added extra hardener to the paint...........it looks OK too

68chevyboy
03-07-2001, 03:24 PM
i will certainly keep an eye out,and im glad you're not selling the van. how picky are you? also, what price range? by the way, i just emailed smiley some pics of my van so they should be coming too, smiley, i accidentally forgot the attachments on the first message i sent you so please dont disregard the second one. -thanks!

68chevyboy
03-07-2001, 06:57 PM
hey smiley, for some reason, hotmail will not send my message to the wab tv adress. do you have another i can use? also guys, i was wondering how that headliner thingy comes out.

prostreet65
03-07-2001, 09:16 PM
Painting with propane heaters?!? and he didn't explode?

painterchris
03-07-2001, 09:19 PM
Hey, if you find either of those vans, let me know. I want the body to be as straight and rust-free as possible, but I'm not asking for it to be perfect. I just want something that can be restored for a reasonable amount of money. If the floor, roof, and rockers are all eaten up with rust, that's no good. If the roof is caved in, or the front end smashed, that's no good. But, if it only needs new rockers and some small dents pulled out, that's cool. I also want it to be as complete as possible, but it doesn't need to be complete. Last, the cheaper the better. Preferably in the $0-$900 range.
Thanx,
Andy.
PS- if your dad ever okays it, I'll swing by and show you my van someday.

68chevyboy
03-08-2001, 06:29 PM
KEWL! id love to see the van, and if i find you one, you just might have to come over show me your van sometime....

smiley
03-09-2001, 07:54 AM
Hey Chevyboy,

I stopped using webtv at th end of February. I have replaced all the email links on the site with new ones. In addition I also have a personal address: hotrodvans@hotmail.com

Some of the ones in use through the site are:
smiley@vcvc.org
info@vcvc.org
rally@vcvc.org
membership@vcvc.org

Sorry I tripped you up on the webtv address.

68chevyboy
03-10-2001, 04:36 PM
thats okay, no problem at all. http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif i will send them tonight, to your personal one. thanks!