PDA

View Full Version : window leaks

Vanner68
07-27-2000, 09:18 PM
I got a lil problem over here. the whole top of the windshield frame on my 68 has rusted away due to an improperly installed (by previous owner, over 20 yrs ago) vinyl top. I think I can get my hands on a front clip, but has anybody else run into this and any tips to make repair easier would help. This is the only thing keeping my van off the road, and I am getting a lot of heat from the wife about finishing this beastie!

painterchris
07-29-2000, 11:09 AM
Heh. Well, if you are insane, like me, then you can replace the whole roof. There are several problems with this: you have to find a good roof. This is not easy. You also have to separate the roof panel from the rest of the van by drilling out nearly 200 spot welds. Then, you have to cut off your old roof. Clean the spot-weld areas on the new roof and drip rail, then spot weld the new roof in. Seam seal it, and paint it. Another way to do it would be to find a good front roof frame and replace only that part. In a way, this is harder, but less time consuming. You will probably have to get a body shop to weld it in and fiberglass the seam smooth.

Good luck,
Andy.

Duane 70gmc
07-30-2000, 09:34 PM
This just popped into my head Gregg. Have you looked into perhaps a 71 72 73. I had a windshield delivered for my 70 come in as a newer windshield ( 71 ), and although it's a longer and slightly taller I would venture a guess that the section that you need would be very similar. This deviates away from an original roof panel, but with the things you've told me about the sunroof and the Buick Sport Wagon roof to be added this could be a legitimate option. I know I'd be looking into it.

Secondly, and I say this cause I know your capable of doin it, have you considered fabricating some form of die to produce say,, perhaps,, foot long sections that could be pieced together depending on how many you think you need? Maybe an inner and an outer. Just a thought. I like the first option myself. Seems like the patch would come ready to install.

You need to get that 68 ready to roll !

Hey,,, In your garage about a year ago I saw a crate of what appeared to be some form of cleats that you bolted to either the wall or something and then hook something like a tie down or a bungi cord to. If you still got them I would be interested in maybe a dozen of them. Talk to ya soon.

Van On Dudes

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

Vanner68
08-01-2000, 08:26 PM
hey duane- nice ta hear from ya! I'm afraid the 2nd generation roof won't fit (it's the same as my 87)but I may get the front clip my boss found. He said the bottom of the frame is rotted but didn't look at the top.
oh, how many tie-downs do ya want? i have about 2000 of em left!

68chevyboy
08-01-2000, 10:56 PM
hey keep the info gin guys, because i was cranking my 68' in a thunderstorm [dont ask] and the top of the windsheid poured waterfalls! the whole rim of the windshield leaks, and i have the common corner headlamp crunch, and the bottom of the front is rotted so im wondering wether i should replace the windsheild rim, or the whole front! thanks, and van on.

Duane 70gmc
08-02-2000, 12:56 PM
As Gregg almost stated, i's a matter of locating the parts. If you could find a front end I think that's the way I would go
, especially with the additional damage. The front clip I have a deposit on isn't going to come with the complete window channel as it was cut at the top of the window posts ans across the floor in front of the engine box and it does have a little rust along the bottom of the window channel but considering what the original looks like on my 70, I'm way ahead of the game

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

painterchris
08-02-2000, 08:05 PM
hey, 68chevyboy, you live in Georgia, right? I can give you the names of a few junkyards with early chevy vans near Atlanta. I am positive you could find a windshield rim and maybe a whole front clip at one of them. E-mail me at: elbarto37@yahoo.com

LAter,
Andy.