PDA

View Full Version : wiring terminal tools

planetvear
06-08-2008, 06:46 AM
i know that alot of members here are or have been in the military at some time or another. also we seem to have alot of different expertise's resident here. i have a unique problem that someone here may have some perspective on.
i am doing a resto on a 76 superglide for a customer and have purchased a new wiring harness to replace the train wreck that was there. i need to pull the old wire terminals out of the factory plugs to insert the new ones, which requires a special "barrel" type tool which collapses the "leg" and allows the terminal to pull out from the back end of the plug. i have a snap-on set with this tool, but the diameter of my tool is larger than the the barrel of the terminal and does not properly collapse the leg.
does anyone here know of an outlet for these type of specialty tools, a website or outlet somewhere? any help would be appreciated. john

Wookee
06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
John my wife deals with electiacl connectors of all types.She was able to hook me up with a tool to release the connectors in a power door harness I am working on here now.
She is on vacation this week.Send me an E Mail with a name brand of the connector wire guage,I am shure she can find you what you need.......

.........Wookee

------------------

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/wookeesvan/backinblack.jpg
Its a "van thing" A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

m1dadio
06-08-2008, 09:35 AM
working on aircraft I get umpteen different kinds of terminals different dia round, rectangular, square of all sizes. So many I would go broke if I had to buy the tools.

If your project has mostly the same terminals then buy the tool for them, but if there are 47 different terminals like I run into then you can easily make up the tools from small thin hard steel strips like a nail file and various pen parts or small wall tubing from a hobby shop.

Thats my nickle and dime way of dealing with them anyway.

I am suprised an aftermarket wire harness dosn't come with the cheep version of the tools needed for install. Maybe I'm just spoiled, alot of aircrft equipment comes with the tools for installation. Those little tools made in China are literaly pennys each and are a throw away item after the job.

M1

[This message has been edited by m1dadio (edited June 08, 2008).]

bzackb3490
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM
I am not sure of the type of tool your talking about but try this web site, they have alot of crimping type stuff, http://www.delcity.net/

BZB

gregw98
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I always used a piece broke antenna, like of a portable radio or TV. If you get the whole antenna, you get 4 or 5 different sizes. Like Daio said, a hobby shop sells brass tubing in about 1 foot sections for less than a dollar. Get several different sizes.
greg

fustkarr
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I've used Dell b4..very good service and the prices were fair..u could probably get better prices at the local electronics superstore but you'd never get everything w/o traveling from store to store.
Randy
BTW: Does anybody know of or even whatthis is called...I'm looking for a crimping tool {like for terminals} but for right angle terminals...uknow, the wire enters the terminal just above the engagement/slider part of the terminal at 90degrees to the direction of the slider?

fustkarr
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
I've used Dell b4..very good service and the prices were fair..u could probably get better prices at the local electronics superstore but you'd never get everything w/o traveling from store to store.
Randy
BTW: Does anybody know of or even whatthis is called...I'm looking for a crimping tool {like for terminals} but for right angle terminals...uknow, the wire enters the terminal just above the engagement/slider part of the terminal at 90degrees to the direction of the slider?

planetvear
06-10-2008, 04:57 AM
thanks all for the suggestions. i went through my MAC and SNAP-ON catalogs last night and noted they have a variety of different tools and sets available. MAC will be here today, so i'm goona pick his brain. thanks to all who posted for the ideas, now i've got plenty to go on. john

van-itti
06-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Hey Randy!!

Have you tried Fry's??
They have everything!!Electronic...

Mike