PDA

View Full Version : Social Issues

aka Trebor
01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry Dan for getting off topic on your post.

Hey Randy,
I'm with you about freedoms.

What makes our country great is the diversity of the people in it. The American people are some of the most generous and caring people in the world. Unfortunatly the ruling elite, the Corporate/Political/Media, keeps us fractionalized by continuing to pound on wedge issues. Abortion, gun control, environment, gay marriage, smoking, etc. These issues are important but they are used to provoke emotional responses to keep us from focusing on the issues that are being pushed like NAFTA, Constitutional right erosion, control of foreign markets and governments, by threat of economic extortion and genocide, use of tax dollars to subsidize industrial and pharmacutical research. After we graciously hand over half of our hard earned wages to support these causes, we get to let them exploit us through price gouging of our basic needs. The public gets wound up labeling each other with names Like "Liberal and Conservative" while the government progresses further into corporate fascism, supported by both current political parties.
The last president to say anything worthwhile to the American public was Eisenhower who at his farwell address said "Beware of the Military Industrial Complex". All presidents since have supported the promotion of big business in their own ways while having the support of their voters whipped into line because of the wedge issues.
I do not care if people smoke tobacco or pot, carry guns, believe in evolution or creation, hire hookers, eat meat, wear fur, marry or dont marry, go to church, bark at the moon, sit in a tub of jello diddling themselves while looking at pictures of under age sheep, or whatever else someone dreams up for enjoyment is fine with me as long as it does not inhibit anyone elses rights. I do care about our losing ground in the quality of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

[This message has been edited by aka Trebor (edited January 21, 2007).]

smiley
01-21-2007, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka Trebor:
I do care about our losing ground in the quality of "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

[This message has been edited by aka Trebor (edited January 21, 2007).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, I think it is too late. Society has been reduced to a nation of individuals. The government has succeeded in splintering us to such a degree that there's no way the populus could ever build enough momentum to reclaim power from the government.

With that said. "Live til you die" and be as happy as you can doing it.

VankyPanky
01-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Words of "Wisdom" gentlemen. Thank You! VP

TurboVan
01-22-2007, 12:37 AM
That's exactly why I vote Libertarian.
Democrat/Republican, different names for the same thing.

TV

Joe Russin
01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Its kinda crazy.The people who protested against the war in the 60's and marched for social reform are now the people who went to collage and are part of the government of today.

Sure there are allot of problems with the political system system.New social problems arise every day.That being said.Spin the globe and stick your finger any where on it and this is still the best country to live in.Part of the reason is the ever changing political and social landscape. Having the freedom to change these situations is somethig allot of Americans take for granted and much worse ignore.Just to be able to set a a computer and voice my opinon is a fredoon I thank God for every day.........

..........Wookee

smiley
01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Russin:
Spin the globe and stick your finger any where on it and this is still the best country to live in.Part of the reason is the ever changing political and social landscape. Having the freedom to change these situations is somethig allot of Americans take for granted and much worse ignore.Just to be able to set a a computer and voice my opinon is a fredoon I thank God for every day.........

..........Wookee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely.