PDA

View Full Version : fins

68chevyboy
02-15-2001, 06:06 PM
recently, i found half of a 1957 ford fairlane buried (yes, its buried) and i was thinking of cutting the fins and taillights off and molding them somehow to the side of my van. what kind of stuff would i do this with? it would be really cool. or if anyone has a 59 caddy out there i'll use the fins off it. i think it would be very unique, but how would i attatch them , bondo them, and not lose the shape of the fins??

Vanner68
02-15-2001, 06:20 PM
You'd have to cut a healthy chunk of the quarter panel off along with the fin, and hold it up to the side of your van and get a feel for how it will look. Trim off unnecessary material, and weld (best) or poprivet the panel on. Fiberglass the seam to blend it in. Buy an asbestos suit to protect you from the heat your gonna get for doing this to your van. Paint to match.

AJAX
02-15-2001, 07:04 PM
I CAN'T STOP LAFFIN'!!

68chevyboy
02-15-2001, 07:07 PM
heat!?!?!?!?

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited February 15, 2001).]

68chevyboy
02-15-2001, 07:13 PM
nevermind, now i know what you mean by heat! LOL!

Vanner68
02-15-2001, 08:09 PM
All in fun, man- All in fun

greg showers
02-16-2001, 09:02 AM
if you want to put fins on your van then do it, it's no worse then someone putting a stationwagon roof on their van, to each their own if you like it, do it! if someone has a problem with it then it's their problem. sure some may laugh, but we each do our own thing. it would be a dull place if everyone has the same idea of what cool is.(i think) anyway i'm building my van for me not for anyone else, if you think it's cool, fine. if you think it's ugly,fine. it's mine.but if you have an idea of what you want your van to look like, go for it.

punkvanner
02-16-2001, 12:04 PM
i though about putting 59 chevy fins on mine because i love the tail lights

68chevyboy
02-16-2001, 02:10 PM
well, the caddy fins are out of this world, but i chose them because a 59 is my favorite CAR on earth, but i think that the fairlane fins wouls be more in taste because they are straight, and they wont stick out bad, i wouldent really do the 59 caddy thing though, because i would have to buy the car instead of ripping the fins.i like the impala fins idea, because they have a resemblance to the corvans, but they look better. i want to be able to keep the lines of the van too, i would never change the front, or much of the side, so i am trying to stay tasteful. but you got to admit, the same old thing gets boring sometimes.

Vanner68
02-16-2001, 06:39 PM
Well, after all it IS your van....
Mine has Pontiac Astre taillights and I am putting the big square headlights in, it had the 4 small squares for a loooong time, I have the aforementioned Vista Cruiser roof, but I need glass, and a power sunroof from a 76 Monte Carlo, plus shaved the door handles on the side and rear doors. Interior door handles on cab doors are from a 74 Maverick.
I guess it's not stock anymore.

MadElf
03-04-2001, 10:02 PM
Vista Cruiser roof!
Too cool!
(And frighteningly practical I imagine)
I want to see the Vista Cruiser roof!
Is there a picture anywhere?

Vanner68
03-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Not of mine, but this was done a lot, Rollie Eldred's van has one. Mine is (ahem) apart at the moment so pics aren't available right now........ http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/frown.gif

ontario
03-06-2001, 05:10 PM
look at the chevys in the early van gallery theres a link from here to there look close and youll see a couple in there i think theres a black van that has it done

Rich Van Linkel
03-12-2001, 12:32 PM
MadElf,

I have a vista crusier top. I am planning on putting it on my 66 van, formerly known as "Vette Suspended". I'll try and get out and get some pictures of it to send to Smiley. I picked this top up for free! It's still in it's cut-off form, but I have one.

I saw a long wheelbase 67-68 back in the late 70's cruising through our town that had TWO Vista Cruiser tops welded back to back and set on top, it looked really cool.

Later,

Rich