PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system questions

tonye66
04-23-2001, 08:23 PM
I gave the engine a good look over today. As usual, I have a few questions. At the base of the upper radiator hose on the engine, there is a plug of some sort that looks like it is a temp gauge mount. What is the wire that is connected to it that goes towards the back of the doghouse on the right side of the valve cover? Does it serve any purpose? I broke it on accident....oops. Also, where can I put a mechanical water temp gauge plug on the motor so that I can keep tabs on the temp?

Thanks,

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited April 23, 2001).]

painterchris
04-23-2001, 11:11 PM
If I'm interpreting correctly, you are asking about the wire that comes from the water outlet elbow that bolts to the head. That wire controls your temperature idiot light. In other words, it's basically useless, because the idiot light only comes on when your engine is overheating already. If your van is like mine, the idiot lights don't work anyway. The mechanical gauge can be installed in the port where that wire comes out. This isn't as easy as it sounds. Most gauges have only a 6 foot connection "wire", which will barely reach the front of the block if you mount the gages in/under the dash. Also, you need enough slack to make sure that the fan doesn't hack that wire in half the first time you turn the engine over. Last, that water outlet is probably cast aluminum alloy or something equally soft, so don't over tighten the fittings, or you'll crack the housing. LAst, use some teflon tape or gasket sealant on the fittings.
Good Luck,
Andy.

prostreet65
04-25-2001, 09:20 PM
If you're planning on using "good" gauges,
you shouldn't have any problem getting one
long enough. I got one from Stewart-Warner
with a 12' capillary tube on it.