PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!

Mystery Machine
02-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Need Help
I have a 69 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe 108, 350 V8 automatic, chevy green light metallic, in mint condition, black plates, original benches, manuals, sales broschure, working sliding step, windows all around, new chrome.
45M on new engine.
My Van had a Fire - engine/ wire.
No damage to interior or exterior only engine and wires. Should I sell or restore?
Would anybody be interested in buying?
Can send pics.

pat69chevan
02-23-2002, 11:17 PM
hey M.M.,it sounds like you have a gem of a van that most of the gang here would like to get their hands on, but in my opinion, you should keep it, you would regret selling it later. to repair wiring within the engine is not a hard task, you will need three important tools to make this surgical procedure sucessful. 1) a good quality 12 volt tester 2) patience and 3) the proper wiring diagram. the first two items you can pick up any where, and i can supply you with the third item. about a two years ago, i went to find a diagram for my 67 108 and later i needed one for my 69 108. i have a butt load of extra copies for my 69 sportvan 108, i originally got them from the library headquarter reference section, i had to request them special because they had stored them away in a storeroom. if you are interested in a copy, let me know and i will send them to you by mail. these diagrams are easy to read. any questions that you have, there is a lot of cool guys who wil be willing to help in any way they can to see one of our kind stay on the road!!! take care
e-mail: pat_rat67@hotmail.com

pat

leadfoot
02-24-2002, 05:58 AM
i once converted a 87 monte
with oldsmobile engine-great idea? NOT~!
the starter wires were run too close to the headers ~a n d in about 30 miles travel
the battery cables turned into "toaster elements" smoke poured from under the hood
-jumped out opened the hood -flames 3 or 4 feet high welcomed me fortunatly i had a super size ice tea and a huge screw driver
to pry the terminal off-it would have burned to the ground! ~
i thought about selling it when it happend
but my friends talked me out of it and
it dragged our butts around for another
year and a half (after insulating the wires correctly) glad they talked me out of selling it
sorry to hear of your luck , doesnt sound much better than mine-
keep it ! it's a learning experiance
and remember ~what doesn't kill our vans only makes em stronger~
VAN~ON

p.s. the monte is still running! 5 yrs later

69G20
02-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Honestly I want to fly out there to Ventura Ca. and you would let me buy it at a great price and fix it up and drive it back to Tampa! Since you have exactly what I,m looking for!
Back to reality the wiring isn't that bad of a problem. First I would try to figure what caused the fire. then check out my colorized wiring diagram (http://home1.gte.net/res0h4ff/VANSIT~6/Van_Wiring_Dia.html) ,on the right side you can see the wiring in the engine compartment from the conection under the seat to the battery.
Any questions just ask.
Carl

pat69chevan
02-24-2002, 03:21 PM
carl, you never stop amazing me!!!!!! i thought my diagram was pretty even though it was black and white, and now i see you colored one, WOW!!!!

LATER

PAT

chevy van 5150
02-24-2002, 03:25 PM
I have an engine wiring harness for a 69 108, and I'm in Ventura. Your engine should still be ok unless it inhaled an extreme amount of dry chemical (get that stuff scrubber off ASAP its real corrosive) There's nothing to that harness. If it will help you to keep your van going I'll give it to you, come and get it....

Paul

Mystery Machine
02-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey, thank you very much for the advice.
Paul in Ventura contact me @ williwoozer@earthlink.net
The only other thing is I haven't worked on a car before so I don't know where to start (did I mention I am a girl, blond and german so even if I could figure it out the blond would kick in and I would switch the colored wires.....) but serious
I am driving a rental until my Van is ready to be driven again. What would be my best option now.Find somebody to get the wiring in there? The engine should be fine except the rubber parts (seals?) might have to be replaced.
So how can I find somebody that would like to work on my Van? (Paid of course)
And how fast can it be done?
More Help please.
Karen

Flaming_Moe
02-26-2002, 07:14 PM
Sweet! I think your the first girl ever on our message board. I commend you on wanting to get it fixed. If I lived close, or new anything about wiring I'd be there, but since I don't I guess I can't really do ya any good, but best of luck. Hey you left coasters....come on give her a hand!!

Austin

PS Just to be nosey how did the fire start anyway?

[This message has been edited by Flaming_Moe (edited February 26, 2002).]

chevy van 5150
02-26-2002, 11:53 PM
I sent you an E-mail Karen

Paul

vannman67
02-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Hey 69G20, do you have a printable version of the color wiring diagram? I've tried all I can think of to print a copy, but I'm not having any luck. Any suggestions?

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

69G20
02-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Bryan I see what you mean with the trouble of trying to print out an image that is wider than a regular page. The best I can figure is to e-mail you the picture then you can set your printing to landscape and poster with 9 sheets of paper also set adjust size to fit. This set-up puts the long skinny image on the three sheets in the middle with 2 seams making it even larger than the original.

Carl