PDA

View Full Version : 4-speed manual with overdrive

prostreet65
01-04-2001, 09:56 AM
I think painterchris had expressed an interest in doing this, so here is some info to pass on. The Feb '01 issue of "Custom Classic Trucks" has an article on how to swap a Chrysler transmission into an early Chevy truck. It came in mid '70's 6&8 cylinder Dusters. Looks like a regular A833 4-speed, but it has an aluminum case and 4th is a 0.73:1 overdrive. They say it's the same length as the chevy, bolts up to the bellhousing, and the driveshaft spline is the same as a newer(?)GM. Looks from the picture like a T350 type yoke. The only actual modification they describe is you have to turn down the outside diameter of the front bearing retainer so it fits the Chevy bell-housing. Comes right off and would take like 10 minutes on a lathe, or there is a p/n for one that will fit without modification. They don't mention crossmember mount compatibility, I think because the real old trucks don't have crossmembers. The stock 3-speed linkage should work for the forward gears, and someone was saying they used a PTO cable for reverse. Sounds like a good swap, in the example they gave rpm's dropped from 2940 at 60 mph down to 2146. I'm just passing this on, so if you're interested please buy the magazine before you buy any parts!
Later, John

[This message has been edited by smiley (edited January 04, 2001).]

Vanner68
01-04-2001, 05:28 PM
Car Craft has been extolling the virtues of the trannies lately too, so if you are thinkin of doing this, you better grab a trans now before they disappear!

painterchris
01-11-2001, 08:46 AM
Thanx for the info. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a copy of this magazine. If anyone has it and copy photocopy the pages for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
LAter,
Andy.

prostreet65
01-11-2001, 10:11 PM
Hey Painterchris, if you'll email me your
mailing address, I'll send it to you. Wish
I had a scanner...
Later, John