PDA

View Full Version : only one start, please

68chevyboy
11-03-2001, 05:05 PM
i have an engine i can crank once, but if i turn it off and try to crank it back up, it wont, and acts like the battery is dead. so i take the battery out, and try it in another car, the battery works fine. whats wrong? why wont it crank hot?

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited November 03, 2001).]

tomschaner
11-03-2001, 08:15 PM
chevy's are known for starter solenoid"s that don't work when your engine's hot.another item would be corroded connections either at your battery or starter.try cleaning those first.if not probably a bad solenoid.there about ten bucks not to bad of price.good luck.

LuckyChucky
11-03-2001, 11:36 PM
Hey, one of my most enjoyable subjects. I fought this problem for fifteen years or more, changed starters and solenoids regularly. Seemed like they were only good for one summer at best, that is until I came across the answer. I was really pissed and when it came to replace the starter I bought a Bosch, set me back quite a few bucks.

That was over eight years ago! The Bosch is still working very well (I own no stock in Bosch). I have the Bosch starters in both of my drivers now.

To top it off this van has run down the road at full pedal to the metal and runs about 210 degrees. I just let it run hot and keep delo 15-40 oil in her and she is just happy with over 160,000 miles on my last rebuild.
I say let her run hot, just keep oil that does not break down with heat. I suppose that some of the synthetics would work just fine along with some avaition oil that will take the heat.

"Lucky"Chucky

68chevyboy
11-05-2001, 06:44 PM
went out, jacked the car up and found out the battery wire had melted and welded itself to the solenoid, and the wire was corroded to the bone, all the plastic was gone on the starter end. the solenoid is bad, and when i tryed to get the melted wire off the post, it busted the casing. i ganked the starter from the 70 'velle and i am going to use it. THANKS GUYS!

[This message has been edited by 68chevyboy (edited November 05, 2001).]

64vanatic
12-22-2001, 02:16 PM
Hey freflyte,

My starter is trying to give up the ghost. I wanted to replace it with a bosch, but in my town it seems that they don't know that there is a starter from bosch made to fit the van (230 l6). Well back to my point, you wouldn't happen to have that part# would you? any help greatly appreciated. thanks

Troy

LuckyChucky
12-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Hi Troy,

I will get you a part number but it will need to wait till after the holiday, my parts source guy is gone until then. I did do some surfing of the local parts stores for it and found a "frendly" one that took the time to look it up. They only have rebuilt starters but they are the same quality as the new ones so you need not worry if they are rebuilt. Just make sure that Bosch is the rebuilder. The starters are the same for the 230 and 250 engines and I believe are the same starter for the Nova series. What part of the country are you located in?
Let me know if you are successful otherwise I will need to get the number for you after the holiday.

Van On...........
Merrie Christmas
"Lucky"Chucky

64vanatic
12-23-2001, 07:24 PM
Hey chuck,

Thanks! I hope it will hold out for a little while longer anyway. I checked today at some of the other part stores. They sell just about everything else that bosch makes except for starters and alt.. I just hope that somebody will be able to get them.

Troy

LuckyChucky
12-24-2001, 12:05 AM
Hi Troy,

If the local parts dealers you are dealing with can not come up with one I will buy one here and send it to you. I should be able to get the number for you after Christmas, sure wish that I saved my receipt, then I could post it.

Hang in there...........

"Lucky"Chucky

69G20
01-01-2002, 08:46 PM
I can't find them bosch starters on the net.This is as close as I've come bosch starters (http://www.boschus.com/AutoOrigEquip/Electrical/StarterMotors/)
Please holler when they are found.
Thanks
Carl

69G20
01-01-2002, 08:49 PM
I forgot to mention to check-out the water-cooled altenantors.
Carl

greyfoxmc
01-02-2002, 06:31 AM
You can find them at www.carparts.com (http://www.carparts.com)

They say a 7-10 day wait depending on manufacter core supply.

------------------
" Passion Pit II "
Mike