PDA

View Full Version : gas smell

65dream
09-24-2001, 11:55 AM
my van smells like gas while im driving but worst once the van has stopped and i park. what are the different things it could be.thanks alot.

Vanner68
09-24-2001, 03:51 PM
Bad fuel pump, Cracked fuel line, rotted rubber line, float level too high, leaking accelerator pump, cracked fuel filter (if you have one of those cheapie inline plastic filters) You should be able to see dampness around a fuel leak.

ahighdiver
09-24-2001, 04:25 PM
Find it fast Frank. You don't want your new van goin' up in smoke. You have had enough of that I'll bet.
HD.

Duane 70gmc
09-24-2001, 04:41 PM
You didn't say if the smell was near the tank or the engine. Double check the filler neck area for the tank, The whole section from the filler to the tank. The smaller tube on the filler, ( the vent tube ) tends to rot and if that happens, then the fumes could easily escape the tank. I believe there is a metal cover ( inside the van 67 to 70 ), that covers the filler neck where it comes thru the body and goes thru the floor to the tank. Check in that area to ensure that all is tight, sealed, and not rotted.

Duane

painterchris
09-24-2001, 04:51 PM
I have the gas smell when parked too. I know where mine comes from tho. When I shut off the van, there is a lot of pressure remaining in the fuel line. This causes my carb to spit a little gas out through the mixture screw unto the manifold. The heat of the manifold instantly vaporizes it, making the fume smell. Next time you take it for a drive, watch the carb for a few minutes after you shut it off. You'll be able to see if it's doing the same thing as mine. I think there was a post a while back about how to alleviate the excess fuel pressure problem, but I can't remember what the thread was called.
Andy.

65dream
09-25-2001, 11:46 AM
thanks everyone for the help im going to have my mechanic give my van a full tuneup and hopefully also have him find the gas problem with everyones advice. i have one more question on top of my doghouse there are about 10 1/4 inch holes all around i know there is probaly something wrong but could that make the smell worst why would someone have put those holes there would it be ok to cover my doghouse with a piece of carpet with those holes there? ok i guess that was about 3 or 4 more questions thanks alot to everyone, from frank

Vanner68
09-25-2001, 05:50 PM
Weld 'em, Glass 'em, put screws in 'em, but fill 'em with something before you put carpet on. Carpet is porous, and won't seal exhaust fumes.

65dream
09-26-2001, 01:31 AM
vanner68 thanks for the reply hey why do you think someone would have put holes there thanks,frank

sambowie
09-26-2001, 06:51 PM
My van smells like gas to when I park it, I think its because someone cut a hole for the line to go to the heater, instead of routing the lines underneath the van but idont know it smells like gas outside the van too.

Vanner68
09-26-2001, 07:32 PM
Probly stuck a big honkin drink holder or beer tapper or sumpin on it....

bellvan
09-27-2001, 06:56 PM
dont rule out that taco bell lucch ehehe,just kidding

Michael Quinn
08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I solved my gas smell. Research suggested "heat soak". That is when the intake manifold gets hot enough to boil the gas inside the carb and force it into the throat evaporating and causing the smell. The heat is enough after the engine is shut off for about 20 to 40 minutes. Solution. I added some additional
Carburator flange gaskets (1/2") this insulated he carb from the hit manifold.