PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Swap?

Ice Cream Man
04-06-2002, 03:21 PM
I have recently purchased an 1965 GMC handivan I have always been veery found of this era of vans and was fortunate to score one for $200.00. Luck me!!!! I am pretty sure it was some sort of service van because it has no windows on the drivers side windows in the back doors windows in the side doors and one window between the side door and the back on the pasangers side any way my question is this. My van currently has a 3 speed standard with a 250 six which to my surprise is very tourqey I have owned trucks in the same era with the same drive train and found them to be low on power. Any way back to me question. I have a fresh rebuilt turbo 350 lock out I have been saving for something special and this is it I noticed that the 3 spped doesnt have a cross member underneath and am wondering what to do there also I have measured and both trannys seam to be close to the same lenght does any one know if I will have to get my driveline shortened or get a longer one? P.S. when I got it it had been used last for an Ice Cream Truck so the ice cream man is sort of a joke.

pat69chevan
04-06-2002, 07:04 PM
the person that i got my help from was vanman67, the owner of "tangled up in blue" he has pictures and dimensions for his work he did to change his trans. good luck!!!

pat

Ice Cream Man
04-06-2002, 07:10 PM
thanx how do I get ahold of vanman
will

vannman67
04-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Here I is!!! http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

See my previous posts on the transmission bracket I had manufactured by using the search function on this message board. If you can't find the answer you're looking for just post your questions here.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

bellvan
04-06-2002, 08:16 PM
sounds like you got a display van like mine....sounds like it ended up with a nickname right off too (lol)well,fill it up with fat frogs,strawbery shortcakes and king cones.sounds like a cool van.
definatly go back through the posts for some good info on the trans brackets...as well as other great stuff
take care,have fun
Rusty

Ice Cream Man
04-06-2002, 09:03 PM
apperently Im retarded because I have gone threw all the old stuff and cant find any tranny info

Ice Cream Man
04-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Well I found info on the crossmember but what about the drive line? longer shorter?

joyrde
04-08-2002, 05:53 PM
I did this swap 20 years ago in my '67 GMC. I am presently installing a 700R. If you would like I will take some pictures & measurements and post them for you.
http://van2go0.tripod.com/vanrestore1.html

vannman67
04-08-2002, 08:07 PM
Hey Joyride, is that a spoiler I see under the front bumper on your van? If so, did you put it on or was it already there when you bought her? I did the 700r4 swap too. I really like my trans but right now my rear end gears are too high (3.08:1). I plan on lowering them to either 3.53 or 3.73 in the future. My swap was pretty straight forward. I had custom brackets made to support the rear of the trans and had a new, beefier driveline made. It is about three inches shorter than the original.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

Ice Cream Man
04-08-2002, 10:19 PM
I would love some pics. If I knew about the drive line situation i think i am about ready to go i have a coller all the line a new flex plate a cross member i think every thing also i have a buddy with a decked shop and qiute a bit of knowledge he has qiute a collection of old GM's from a '32 pickup to a '68 GTO he is pretty jelouse of the van . i just dont have the $40 to shorten the drive line right know. so what should I just get it in and see about the drive line? accoeding to my measurments the turbo 350 is about a half inck shorter than the 3 speed .

joyrde
04-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Yep, that's a spoiler I under the front bumper. I bought it 1985 at a now defunct Speed Shop. It was supposedly for the 2nd generation Ford Van. I swaped 3.73's for the 3.36's the Van came with. . . . running 26" tall tires, the engine should be turning 2400RPM's @ 70 MPH in OD. When towing @ 60MPH in Drive it should be turning around 2600, which should be just about at the peak of the engine's torque curve. When I swaped the stick for an automatic in '82, I used a trans mount kit which is still available from J.C. Whitney's
http://van2go0.tripod.com/transmount.jpg

It has worked great!!! I, too, had a beefer driveshaft cut to fit.

We are working on the Van at school (I teach Auto Tech), thus it is pretty slow going!!! Right now pictures would just be of an empty engine compartment. As soon as we get the engine / trans installed, I will post some pictures & measurements for you.

As for the driveshaft being 1/2" shorter, I would not worry about. Just be sure that the slip-joint is in the rear of the trans 2.5" - 3.5".

joyrde
04-10-2002, 07:03 PM
Yep, that's a spoiler I under the front bumper. I bought it 1985 at a now defunct Speed Shop. It was supposedly for the 2nd generation Ford Van. I swaped 3.73's for the 3.36's the Van came with. . . . running 26" tall tires, the engine should be turning 2400RPM's @ 70 MPH in OD. When towing @ 60MPH in Drive it should be turning around 2600, which should be just about at the peak of the engine's torque curve. When I swaped the stick for an automatic TBH 400 long tailshaft) in '82, I used a trans mount kit which is still available from J.C. Whitney's
http://van2go0.tripod.com/vanrestore1.html

It has worked great!!! I, too, had a beefer driveshaft cut to fit.

We are working on the Van at school (I teach Auto Tech), thus it is pretty slow going!!! Right now pictures would just be of an empty engine compartment. As soon as we get the engine / trans installed, I will post some pictures & measurements for you.

As for the driveshaft being 1/2" shorter, I would not worry about. Just be sure that the slip-joint is in the rear of the trans 2.5" - 3.5".

[This message has been edited by joyrde (edited May 07, 2002).]