PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Shifter

chevy van 5150
01-24-2002, 12:12 PM
Has anyone installed a cable type auto trans shifter like a B&M Star Shifter etc? If so how did you do it? I was thinking about maybe building a console or maybe a bracket on the front of the doghouse?

Rich Van Linkel
01-24-2002, 02:27 PM
I put a B&M shifter in my 66 with a cable shifter. I built a box in front of my doghouse that served as a wind tunnel to the radiator and a mounting place for the shifter. The only problem I had was the shifter handle was too tall, and it would hit the dash when it was in park. I had to leave the handle off so I could put it in park. There are some pictures in the gallery. It's the gray primmered 66 with a green roof and Crager mags. Hope this helps.

Rich Van Linkel
01-24-2002, 02:28 PM
I put a B&M shifter in my 66 with a cable shifter. I built a box in front of my doghouse that served as a wind tunnel to the radiator and a mounting place for the shifter. The only problem I had was the shifter handle was too tall, and it would hit the dash when it was in park. I had to leave the handle off so I could put it in park. There are some pictures in the gallery. It's the gray primmered 66 with a green roof and Crager mags. Hope this helps.

vannman67
01-24-2002, 07:52 PM
I used a B&M Megashifter mounted on the floor in front of the doghouse and angled toward the drivers seat. The handle is about three inches shorter than I'd like, but it is an automatic so its not like I have to have my hand on it all the time. I'll take some detailed pics when I adjust the neutral safety switch so you can have a better idea of how it all fits together. But I'm quite happy with it.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

chevy van 5150
01-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Sounds like it might work, I saw one model that has a little taller handle time to get the measuring tape out.

Thanks for the info, pictures would be great!

Paul
1969 G/10 90

[This message has been edited by chevy van 5150 (edited January 25, 2002).]

AzDon
02-05-2002, 10:07 AM
When I was looking for shifters for my bbc swap in my 66 van, cables that were long enough weren't available(in the seventies) but also didn't look heavy duty enough to do the job. I made my own gated shifter box using a hurst chrome stick, a folded sheet aluminum box, a door hinge, and two brake shoe holddown pin/spring/retainers (the hinge and springs held the stick to the left) I used a Morse marine 43c cable which is substantially heavier duty than what is normally used for throttle or shift in a boat. It was easily able to handle the push-pull load without even a hint of deflection or binding.

AzDon
02-05-2002, 10:31 AM
What I meant to say was that the B&M shifters have kinda small cables that probably don't work well in longer lengths. In any event, the longer cables weren't available for them at that time!

Yeggster
02-16-2002, 08:44 PM
I've got a B&M Star shifter in my 66.

I had already added 6" to the floor for a wind tunnle so it was the right hieght to bolt on.

I had to buy the longest cable available (12 foot I think) but it works great http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Yeggster