PDA

View Full Version : Electric rad fan problem

Yeggster
08-27-2000, 10:24 PM
I had this problem today with the electric fan I thought I'd share http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

I actuallyt have two electric fans on is from a Lumina Car I welded a bracket up for it and it REALLY moves a lot of air (and only cost $20....it;s fine

The other onecost like $100 and I mounted with the supplied "through the rad" plastic mounting units.......if anyone has not seen them they are about 1/8" diameter plastic rods that you work right through the rad core and there are matching plasic "nuts" that go on the other end.....sort of like wire ties?

Anyway I got them tight as I could but one just wore RIGHT THROUGH the rad core tube......I never noticed untill I glanced at the guage and I was running at 240 degrees!!!!

I was where I wanted to be anyway so I shut it down to cool off......and found out where it was leaking right away.....I got some water from the pond and made it back home OK

I was out there till 10 PM.....I soildered the hole shut and moved the fan back 3/4" away from the rad and mounted it with some brass bolts instead.....it actually is much better that way for service if the rad needs to be removed

I dont recomend useing those plastic mounting things now!!!!!!!!

Anyway.....has this happened to anyone else??

And do you think a dozen miles at 240 Degrees F would have hurt the 350 (it sounds OK) ??

Shane

MadElf
08-28-2000, 07:06 AM
Havn't had any experience with the electric fans. They really poke fasteners right thru the core? Scary! I'd keep an eye on it even with the new fasteners. It would seem like any movement, with the fasteners & fan rubbing against the core, would eat it up pretty fast. But maybe I'm visualizing it wrong.
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the 240 degrees for a short distance though. I've had more vehicles overheat than I care to remember and it usually takes a lot more heat than that to do permanent damage.
I even had a '79 AMX once that ran about 230 degrees at its standard operating temperature. Nothing could pull it below that.
So you shold be ok. Good luck.

Yeggster
08-28-2000, 08:08 AM
Thanx for the good new about the over heating........I have to get a 4 coes for the van but it's getting close to winter now so I should be fine till next year....I can keep it below 190 F pretty much all the time......but only by haveing both fans running constantly at hiway speeds.......it's not too bad around town........but I relly like it to run arond 160 or so.......thats how the same motor ran in the old truck

The new fasteners I put on bolt on to brakets properly so they should be OK I'll never use the push throuhg types agian.

They include them with tranny cooler and engine coolers too.........yes they go right through the core fins between the cors tubes.

Ive put a few fans and coolers on but never used the push throuhgs before..now I know why http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Shane

Vanner68
08-29-2000, 04:28 PM
I've heard of this happening from streetrod guys, they NEVER use them thingies! Car Craft mag even has beefed about them. As far as overheating, the only Chevy motors that would be hurtunder those circumstances would be anything running a 305 head (small chamber, small valves) cuz they are thin castings and warp easily- I know, I've done it! :b

pat69chevan
09-28-2000, 11:51 AM
this message is for everyone, has anyone ever thought of running a larger radiator? i dont know if it is possible, but the thought has crossed my mined. how about you?

painterchris
09-28-2000, 03:06 PM
Hey. Like everyone else, I have had a lot of trouble keeping my 64 from running hot. I currently have a rebuilt 250 and I'm running a radiator out of a 67 chevy van. I had the radiator flushed and pressure tested. I have a later model engine box in my van and I added a small tunnel in the front floor of the van to push more air over the radiator. I have also had success in the past using an air dam to push more air and adding "Motor Max" additive to the coolant. As for using a bigger radiator, it really won't do much good if you cram it into the same tight engine box. I think you could help it a lot by adding a larger radiator, and a tunnel to allow more air to flow over it. I have tried to install high flow fans, but there really isn't enough clearance with a straight six. My 250 runs around 210 degrees around town and on the highway, here in Atlanta. Not bad. 160 degrees seems to be an unrealistic goal to me. You really don't need to worry about doing permamnent damage to an engine until the running temperature gets up over 250 degrees. That's my $.02
LAter,
Andy.

Vanner68
09-28-2000, 05:57 PM
OK, I know this isn't really on topic but if anyone is considering an engine swap and has the 67-70 doghouse, how about using a 4.3 Vortec V6? the seem to be indestructible in S-10's and Astro's, use SBC motor mounts, make more power than the inline 250, and most importantly, are shorter so you could move the radiator back and open more of the core's surface to airflow! If you think weight is an issue, most Astro's weigh in around 4000lbs so that puts it right in Early territory! I just may have to buy another Early to test this idea out..... http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

pat69chevan
09-29-2000, 07:56 AM
hey guys, i got an idea. their is a lot of space from the back of the grill to the front of the radiator, right? i nnknow that this is a long shot, but what if someone was able to add a second radiator, like one of those small ones from a small car, and install it right above the bottom air plate, make up some sort of T connector to hook it up, pretty crazy huh? another trick that i did on my 67 was i made my own air system. i took sheet aluminum and made a plate with a screen over and then i attached a 3 inch flex tube and ran it to my air cleaner, to get cool outside air, i dont know if it would help on tempature, but it did help a little on performance

take it easy van amigos

painterchris
10-03-2000, 10:24 PM
Okay, I just had a stupid thought. Most of us are constantly trying to push more air over the radiator to help cool the engine. I tried to get a high flow fan for my van, but there just wasn't enough clearance to make it fit. What I'm wondering is this: if I took my stock fan off and threw it away, and simply bolted the pulley to the water pump, would I have enough room to put in a late model electric fan between the radiator and the motor? I'll bet an electric fan would pull a lot more air thru the radiator and many of them have a built-in shroud.
Hmm...

Also, for those of you running 3 and 4 core radiators, you may want to look into using a high flow water pump. That might help cool your engine down even more.
Later,
Andy.