PDA

View Full Version : tranny swapping

vanogre
04-26-2001, 10:47 PM
any body ever fabed a cross member for a th 350, turbo400 or 700r? i have full access to all machine tools and welding equipment, but no idea where to start, please help.

TurboVan
04-27-2001, 12:06 AM
"Yes", "yes", and "not yet, but I will soon". I used flat bar for the whole thing, but it required a lot of bending (not fun). I would recommend dropping two 2" flat bars down from the frame, thru-bolted on the inside, and run a piece of 1x2" square tubing across the middle. You could weld it to the frame, but it's nice to be able to remove it. --- TV

greg showers
04-27-2001, 07:52 AM
i used a piece of 5/8 flat bar for mine i heated it to bend it into a U, i measured the trans from side to side and bent the bar two inches wider then the trans(one inch on each side) i left a three inch bolting flange on each side of the U(to bolt it to the floor (if you look at the U that is typed, the top of the U has a flat top, now extend it out from the center, you get a funkey shaped u.) any way i drilled two holes in each foot of the new mount and drilled a hole in the center on the mount for the tranny mount. i mounted the tranny to the mount and lifted it in place with a floor jack, i measured the distance from frame to tailshaft to get it back where it should be and center punched the spots to be drilled, i lowered the tranny and drilled. mine is mounted through the same crossmember as the original but it now bolts throught the floor. i have seen many differant ways to do this but i have not seen one that looks as clean. it took about an hour to make it. i cheated and punched the holes in the bar at work actually i made the whole thing at work during breaks and lunch. i got the bar for free because it was a scrap piece(not long enough) the mount has been on the van for five years now and i have not had a problem even when i took it to the drag strip also the bar is two and a half inches wide, to fit into the crossmember.

vanogre
04-27-2001, 08:05 PM
thanks heaps, perchance might anyone recomend a tranny choice, or any in put on the rearend
(positraction.)?.

tonye66
04-27-2001, 09:59 PM
The posi in my 66 is pretty potent considering its age. A ford 9" or a dana rear gear are the things to use these days.

Tony

Yeggster
04-28-2001, 11:04 PM
vanogre

I have a nice set up for a tranny mount in my 66.........I cut the top mount off the old tranny and welded it to a peice of bent 5/8" X 2" flat bar about a foot long.

It just goes from the top mount crossover and hooks under the tranny and bolts on! the tranny just hangs there it works great.......the tranny is a TH350 with a shift kit, extra (8 Cylinder type) friction clutches, a hardened intermediate clutch outer race, and some other modifications I built/rebuilt it myself for a quarter the cost of a regular rebuild at a shop.

I put in a 1 ton, 14 bolt rearend I rebuilt in mine with a detriot locker........I haul a lot of wieght and plan on towing too.

Yeggster

vanogre
04-29-2001, 12:59 PM
thanks very much, it seems my next move will be tring to decide on wich tranny. probably will try to find a turbo 400. off to e bay. bye all 4 now.

vannman67
04-29-2001, 05:01 PM
I jsut bought a universal trans mount from an aftermarket company and bolted it to the trans mount on my 700R4. Then I raised the trans to the height it needed to be, and measured for a bracket. the bracket is simple. 1/4" stock, 4" wide ( same width as the mount plate on the universal bracket), and 8 1/2" long with bolt holes drilled in the proper location to bolt the bracket to. It has two gussets, one on each side and the whole thing is welded to the frame rails. Simple, clean, and the RIGHT way to do it. Never suspend your trans as it allows the trans to swing when you hit the gas. This can result in busted motor mounts.

Vannman

[This message has been edited by smiley (edited April 30, 2001).]

Yeggster
04-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Vanman

The sotck tranny was mounted suspended.......I just copied it......i don;t think it will break motor mounts.......mine has been fine and the mounts were almost thirty years old when I put them in

Anyway modern chevy motor mounts are clamshelled.........even if all the rubber comes out they can't break loose.

I think you submit button is stuck down too http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Yeggster

vanogre
04-30-2001, 04:01 PM
say vanman, you wouldnt happen to have a name for that aftermarket company by any chance?

vannman67
04-30-2001, 10:51 PM
I don't recall the name right offhand, but look in any hot rod magazine or auto parts accessories catalog for a universal tranny mount. I went to a local 4x4 shop and they UPS'd one in overnight. Even paid the shipping for me.

vanogre
05-01-2001, 04:14 AM
thanks bro.

MadElf
05-08-2001, 10:49 PM
How about a chunk of diamond plate that looks like it was hacked off an old step bumper with a cutting torch?
Someone did some very scary things to my poor old van, but somehow they all seem to work.

duece
05-11-2001, 09:18 PM
What about rear end Swapping?? if i put a T350 or 400 do I need to change out the rear end??

TurboVan
05-11-2001, 10:56 PM
Nope...