PDA

View Full Version : Roof Support Beams

chevy van 5150
01-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Heres one for ya at some point in my van's life someone either had something heavy on the roof, or hanging from the roof supports inside. In any case, the supports are no longer touching the roof pannel and they are bent up pretty bad. Has anyone had to deal with this one? The only solution I can see is to get some from a donor van or cut mine out, straighten them out and re install em. The roof is real flimsey the way it is.

leadfoot
01-27-2002, 10:16 AM
on my van it has front & rear sunroofs
the rear sunroof is kind of large and when whoever put it in also made my roof "dish in"
had a donor van and put another roof beam in behind the sunroof ~no more "dish"
also gained another cieling light socket
if you can find em i'd replace or add to what you have the end result is worth it
Van~on

sambowie
01-27-2002, 01:49 PM
On my van the back support is hanging also. luckily its just one of them, I will probably get one out of a donor van, or try to straighten the one thats there.

painterchris
01-28-2002, 07:34 AM
I replaced the entire roof panel on my 64 about a year and a half ago. That included replacing the roof supports. My old ones were bent and I found that straightening them was impossible. You need to get them from a donor van at a junkyard. The best way to remove them, IMO, is to have the yard torch the metal surrounding the roof supports. Then, take them home and carefully grind away all of the excess metal that you don't need. If this is not possible, you can grind out the welds and use a chisel to break them loose.The bent ones should come out pretty easily by grinding out the welds.
Grind all areas down to clean, bare metal. Do one or two dry runs to mark about where the supports need to go. Then weld in the supports. Tack it in on one side, then the other. Check that it is supporting the roof properly. Then, finish welding.

Andy.

TurboVan
01-28-2002, 10:48 PM
When they did the Taco Bell commercials with my `69, they danced on the roof and bent most of the supports, but they weren't kinked. What I did was put a piece of 1/2" plywood about a foot long up against the support (to conform with the slight curvature), with a 6" long 2X4 under that, then a long 2X4 down to a floor jack. I carefully jacked each one up against the roof a little past the ideal point, until it was pushing against the roof just right after it sprang back. Worked really well. I like that idea of adding extra supports, too. I'd be happy to show you, just let me know. I live in Ojai, but I come down the hill every day. --- TV

leadfoot
01-29-2002, 02:52 PM
after looking around at my parts pile
i have one spare roof rail if someone needs it-i'm in connecticut
VAN~ON

Vanner68
01-29-2002, 07:29 PM
I pushed my supports up by stanging in the van(sort of)and getting my shoulders under the beam and pushing up with my legs. Worked good, had more "feel" of the beam popping in place.....gruntgrunt....

chevy van 5150
01-30-2002, 08:59 AM
I have three that are kinked pretty bad and the roof is real floppy the way it is. Better get to the junk yard before the organ donor is gone.....

------------------
chevy van 5150
aka: Paul
"Adventure Van"
1969 G-10 / 90

leadfoot
01-30-2002, 04:24 PM
when i started the work on my van it was june
and did alot outside the grinding,cutting,
sandblasting,interior work etc...
it was nice to remove "roofs" on hot days
i'll always wonder why they did all the work and never reinforced the roof ~ feeling much better now ~ pics> http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan
(racks,doors,1 roof support from a 65')
VAN~ON

[This message has been edited by leadfoot (edited January 30, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by leadfoot (edited January 30, 2002).]

chevy van 5150
01-31-2002, 08:15 AM
Looks good leadfoot wish I had your tallent for bodywork.

Paul

leadfoot
01-31-2002, 09:37 AM
my father and i have been restoring cars for 30 years -he's much better at it than me
but i'm learning -learned alot bringing my van back from the dead-it's not as nice as i had hoped for but better than alot of people expected-took it "around the block a couple times yesterday -horn beeps,waves,"hey nice van" can only imagine what would happen driving through town
putting in new shocks tomarrow -will go further then THANKS for the kind words
VAN~ON http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan
(for sale)

SurfCat
01-31-2002, 12:27 PM
hey leadfoot,
what kinda shocks are you puttin' on your van?
SurfCat

leadfoot
01-31-2002, 12:59 PM
"advance auto" parts store
said i would have em in the morning
almost positive he said they were monroe
40 something bucks for two front shocks
funny thing is i called "monroe" shop in town
they said "sorry can't help you no listing"
"midas said the same"
"carquest" said "special order" next week sometime "napa" 2 stores close by said "nope
no listing"
i'm sure if you could raid the shelves and had an old one to match up they probly have tons of em
i'll know more in the morning when they arrive
when i got my 69' it had no shocks in the front at all! "truck bouncy!"
i have an old pair from a 65' but not sure they'd fit and new is (most of the time)
much better VAN~ON

greyfoxmc
01-31-2002, 02:30 PM
I had bought my first set of fronts from NAPA p/n LE10018 and they were about an inch (1) short of stock length.
Ended up getting some ac delco ones from RockAuto.com for 15.00 each and they are the correct length. This is were i also found the king pin kit and other listings for the `66
Mike

------------------
" Passion Pit II "

TurboVan
02-01-2002, 12:04 AM
I went to get some new KYB GasAdjust high pressure shocks for the `69 the other day (I've had them on the `65 for, like, 20 years now with no signs of wearing out), and they said "Fronts no longer available, rears only".
BUMMER!!!!
So, I'm going to try adapting a different part number (same length, different bushings)
They really are great shocks. --- TV

greyfoxmc
02-01-2002, 04:48 AM
There`s a guy on E-Bay who sells the KYB shocks once in awhile. P/N 5407 for the front at $40.00. Listed under Chevy van. Says they fit `64-`70 van. Don`t know if they are adjustable.
Mike

------------------
" Passion Pit II "

leadfoot
02-01-2002, 04:28 PM
the idiots at advance parts
said today they got no shipment from new york
state today because of bad weather there
shocks saturday they say ~so tomarrow again
thanks for info will write it down and pass it on with the van VAN~ON http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan

leadfoot
02-02-2002, 12:18 PM
got my shocks today!
advance auto parts
sku#18570544 part# LE10018
front shocks $39.99 +tax for a pair
"tenneco automotive" maker
fit perfectly in my 69' "90"
rides like new
VAN~ON http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan

TurboVan
02-03-2002, 01:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by greyfoxmc:
There`s a guy on E-Bay who sells the KYB shocks once in awhile. P/N 5407 for the front at $40.00. Listed under Chevy van. Says they fit `64-`70 van. Don`t know if they are adjustable.
Mike

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, thats the right number. Wonder where he gets them? Maybe NOS. No, they are not adjustable. Thanks for the info! --- TV

greyfoxmc
02-03-2002, 06:05 AM
Hey there TV...
The guy`s user name on e-bay is greatstuf1 (one, not an L). He is from Flushing, N.Y. and i sent him an e-mail to see if he has any more of these. Will let you know.
Mike

------------------
" Passion Pit II "

TurboVan
02-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Thanks a lot!
I'm going to return the (wrong) ones that I bought. --- TV

greyfoxmc
02-05-2002, 05:10 AM
TV...
Just received an e-mail from them.
Said they have a few sets left at $39.99 plus shipping.
I ordered two (2) sets to keep one (1) set in stock.
His e-mail is mrchevyone@juno.com if you want to get in touch with them.
The girl that replied was Annie.

Is the correct number for the rears 5416 ?

Hope this is of some help.

Mike

------------------
" Passion Pit II "

leadfoot
02-06-2002, 12:13 PM
looking at parts today~ http://carpart.com sell KYB shocks and more
just thought i'd pass it on
VAN~ON
http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan

TurboVan
10-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Yes, the correct number for the rear is 5416.
I was not happy with the "feel" of the KYB's on the '69. They must be valved for the '64-'66 multiple-leaf springs, I would not recommend them for the '67-'70 vans, at least not the 108's.

TV

Eric
10-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Hope you can help, I linked on to the carparts site and the KYB dist. Smothers said that the KYB 5407 was not a valid KYB # any help here? is it not complete or been superseeded? Or is there an application I should ask for? Thanks, Eric

TurboVan
10-02-2003, 11:59 PM
5407 is obsolete, no longer made, but scroll down and look at the posts below.
Next closest thing is KYB 5488. Not identical, but they do fit and work. Some clearancing of the upper (wheel well) bracket is required (I just bent mine out a little).

TV