PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

tonye66
03-29-2001, 08:27 PM
With the 230, where do I fill the oil and how much do I use? I don't want to put cheap
10W-40 Into the van again (That is what is in there now and I didn't put it in there). I do know that it takes an ACDelco PF25 oil filter. Is 5W-30 is the best for Chicago's hot summers? My father says to use it but I'm not really sure.

Thanks

Tony

[This message has been edited by tonye66 (edited April 18, 2001).]

painterchris
03-29-2001, 08:36 PM
I don't see why 10-40 would be a problem. Keep in mind that your engine is about 35 years old. It ran either 10-30 or 10-40 originally. I have a rebuilt 250 in my '64 and the guy who rebuilt it suggested that I use 20-50 oil in it. He was right. It runs great and only uses about 1/2 quart of oil between changes. Considering that it's a 1969 engine, that's pretty good.

Well, actually, my engine is a mongrel. It has a 1969 250 block, 1965 230 head and manifold, late 1960's carb, late 1970's distributor... you get the idea.

LAter,
Andy.

TurboVan
03-30-2001, 12:09 AM
5W-30 is designed for good mileage in newer cars, and quick circulation in winter. It is 5 weight oil with lots of viscosity improvers, too thin for hot weather, and not appropriate for older motors. I would use 30wt or 10W-30. The 230 probably holds 5 qts including filter. --- TV

tonye66
03-30-2001, 03:47 PM
thanks for the replies, but I still need to know where to fill the oil.

tonye66
03-30-2001, 03:52 PM
oh yeah. how much oil do I put in the rear end? what kind and weight should I use. how do I get it out and refill it?

Thanks,

Tony

Yeggster
03-30-2001, 09:00 PM
The oil filler is in the small breather on top of the valve cover.....right at the front of the motor behind thermostate houseing.......turn it to the left and it lifts off....

Put in 4 and a half quarts start the engine (so the filter fills up) then check it with the dipstick.......add a bit more untill it's at full.......don't over fill it.

Use the 10W40 in the summer at least I run 10W40 in the WINTER and 20W50 all summer........you use heavier oil in summer not the other way around.

I use 80W140 in my rear end becuase it rev so high.....the next one lighter is more common it's 80w80.

You fill up the rear end throught the level check pulg hole......you just squeeze oil in till it flows out of the hole then replace the plug.

Yeggster

tonye66
03-30-2001, 10:19 PM
yes, but how do you drain it???????????????

tonye66
03-30-2001, 10:20 PM
I mean the rearend. Sorry.

Yeggster
03-30-2001, 11:53 PM
The only way to drain the rear end is to take off the back cover.......make sure to clean (scrape off old gasket) both surfaces and use a new gasket when it goes back on.

After market covers are available that have drain plugs

tomschaner
03-31-2001, 05:04 PM
it may behoove you to get a factory service book at the next swap meet coming to your town and a original owners manual at the same or ck e-bay.these questions that you are asking are almost comical in nature but the bottom line is you can never have enough information on any vehicle.during the restoration of my 69 chevelle( my first resto)i did the ultimate mistake which was to totally dismantle the car down to nuts and bolts without labeling a thing.over a course of three years you would be amazed at what you forget about reassembly.(99%)thank god that they made a factory assembly manual for the chevelle.not only does it tell you how to reassemble the entire car it also gave part #'s and pictures something which is priceless when rebuilding a car.bottom line get every manual you can get your hands on for your ride and get self-informed the info learned will be priceless especially when putting things back together.that's all dude

smiley
04-02-2001, 08:59 AM
I switched all my vehicles over to synthetic oil a few years ago. They run cleaner and quicker since the change. I decided to make the switch because I believe the synthetic is better on older engines. Less engine wear. We don't get real cold weather down here, and it gets unbearably hot in summer so I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic 5w50 and have been getting better mileage since.

By the way, the Mobil 1 synthetic spray lube is the most incredible thing I've ever used for loosening rusty and overtightened bolts. I would have never gotten my rear springs/rear end job done without it. I sprayed my exhaust manifold bolts with it, let it soak about 30 minutes and was able to break 'em loose with one hand on the ratchet.

Now I just use the WD-40 for cleaning my tools.

"...And if you order right now..."

painterchris
04-02-2001, 02:32 PM
Here's my take on oil:

your rear end and manual tranny oil basically never need to be changed unless they leak. Most cars go 150,000 miles without ever changing either one. If you are worried about it, you can change it, but if it doesn't leak, you should probably just leave it alone.

Engine oil: change it every 3000 miles (duh). But, here's the catch: pick a brand and weight of oil and stick with it. ALWAYS use the same oil. It helps your engine run cleaner.

My 2 cents,
Andy.

tonye66
04-18-2001, 03:23 PM
I discovered that the rear end had about 3/4 of a Quart in it! It takes over 2 Quarts! I guess it was a good thing that I changed it before I was on the expressway when it would have siezed up on me. It was fairly clean though.

Tony

greg showers
04-19-2001, 11:50 AM
since i only drive my van in the summer, i use a check list every spring for routine maintenance. 1. change oil & filter 2. check radiator 3. clean spark plugs(regap if needed)4 trans fluid (change filter) 5.refill differantial (i use 90wt. gearoil) 6. check brake fluid 7. check brakes & lines 8. change thermostat 9. change fuel filter 10. grease king pins, universal joints, tie rod ends and so on. after i go through the check list i take it out on a five hour ride(to blow off the cobwebs)i have done this for eight years now and it still drives the same as it did when i first bought it. i know that i don't have to do all the list every year but i do just for the peace of mind. i also check the belts and hoses, when it had the points i would change them during the check up and throw a spare set in the glove box. just in case. this van has only left me stranded once and that was the day after i bought it (fuel gauge didn't work)i ran out of gas. oops make that twice, the starter went out last year. but other than that i have enjoyed every moment i have been behind the wheel of it.whats th esaying? an ounce of prevention saves a pound of cure? or something like that (my grandfather used to tell me)anyway if you take care of it, it will last you a life time.