PDA

View Full Version : V8 Swap

Flaming_Moe
06-14-2000, 11:31 AM
Is it nessesary to swap the doghouse in a '65 to make room for a small block? If not, what kind of headers will clear?

JD
07-02-2000, 01:37 AM
FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD..YES YOU NEED TO SWAP IN A 67-70 ENGINE BOX TO INSTALL A V-8..I BELEIVE EVEN THE 6-CYL IN THESE YEARS HAVE V-8 ENGINE BOXES..AM I CORRECT GUYS??..GUYS??...
........................................JD..

Vanner68
07-14-2000, 05:27 PM
YES! You are correct, Sir! Well, sorta. My 68 had a six originally, and while the doghouse dimensions are the same as the V8's, the radiator mount is different. It is set up for the "downflow" six cylinder radiator, not the V8's "crossflow" design. But weep not! I had a custom radiator built on my six cylinder tanks, with a four row core. No overheating problems with this setup.

68chevyboy
07-19-2000, 07:53 PM
my 68 has a v-8 box, hi rise intake, 4bbl and headers and they fit just right. i installed the headers from the bottom [much easier] the headers are tri-y headers. looks sweet. van on

greg showers
07-25-2000, 02:36 PM
when i replaced the six in my 69 i had already aquired three different vans (65,and 2- 68)i had to change the radiator mounts which all i had to do is weld nuts to the frame where the holes were predrilled in the frame and cut out the original side supports from the six's radiator. and put in new top supports, luckily i had everything that i needed including fan shroud belly pan, splash pans cross member for the radiator and all . but i have still not found a pair of headers that fit right. i had to use the regular manifolds to keep the exhaust up nice and tight (i didn't want to see it till it exits out the rear) (visually unpleasent) but the swap went without a hitch.

Flaming_Moe
07-31-2000, 11:02 AM
Thanx for all of your advice guy's it has been gratley apricieated

Vanner68
08-01-2000, 08:49 PM
Yo Greg! Gregg here. I run headers for an 81 monte carlo, it's a lttle tough changing plugs,(make sure engine is stone cold!) but they tuck up rather nicely, and any muffler shop can bend up some pipes that are virtually invisible! My headers are Hooker chrome, but any top brand (NOT JR headers, cheap and rust out during installation, it seems!)should work well. You could also try some of the "shorty" headers for the 82 to 92 camaro's , pricey but actually exit about the same place as mid 70's stock exhaut manifolds.