PDA

View Full Version : V6 Swap?

Art'65
02-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Has anyone ever done, seen or heard about swapping in a V6/auto from say, a late model Safari type van or small GM pickup, into a 64-66? I know the V8 swap (I have an 89 Caprice ex-police cruiser as a possible donor/trade material)involves changing to the later doghouse, but any opinions on whether the V6 might fit into the original doghouse?

Thanks, Art

Scott
02-28-2002, 11:51 AM
This is the swap that I am planning. The 4.3L seems like an excellent option. From the investigation I have done it looks like a good swap with only a few mods. I am going to go with the standard tranny and build a little pulley cable to shift. I figure it should be the least of the troubles in the swap. I'm going to try the carb. version but I hear that the fuel injected full of horses.

Art'65
02-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Hi Scott,

I'm curious as to why you would go carb/manual? I would guess the FI/auto would solve many of the interface/ driveability issues I'm trying to get away from. Mind you the carb/manual is a simpler set of equipment.

Keep us posted. I'm not ready to start on this for quite a while.

Art

Vanner68
02-28-2002, 08:42 PM
This shouldn't be any harder than a V8 swap since the 4.3 is a 350 minus two cylinders....and you could move the radiator back to improve cooling airflow!

TurboVan
02-28-2002, 11:36 PM
But it's just as wide, so you'd need the V-8 doghouse.
TV

Scott
03-01-2002, 12:10 AM
I want to preserve the 3 on the tree. I'm a bit of a restoration nut and I want to limit the impact and preserve the fun of shifting. I like the carb version because my van is a vacation vehicle as well and I have taken and will continue to take it into the backcountry and in severe winter weather. There is nothing that can't be fixed on the carb unit in the road and the same is not true for the injected.

But I the extra 40 horses for the injected is pretty tempting. I plan on doing it sometime in the next couple of months.

How much more space do I need in the dog house? It can't be much.

Art'65
03-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Hi guys,

Just as wide, so needs the doghouse changed...that's the answer I was looking for.

Is there any modern GM V-engine, even from a wheel drive, that is narrow enough to fit in the standard 64-66 doghouse? If not, the old straight six will get rebuilt and away we go again.

Thanks, Art

Vanner68
03-03-2002, 01:36 PM
I'm not certain it will fit, but the 2.8 V6 found in S-10's and some Camaro's is narrower, and usually hooked up to a stick shift. Downside is it's not very powerful, and the trans has internal shift linkage, no way to use it in an early.

If you don't want to hack up your doghouse, rebuild a 250 L6 and put it in there. They make decent power, and everything will hook right up.
My 70 has a 250/powerglide, and will fry a tire at will, and cruise all day at 75mph....well, all day until my harmonic balancer separated- but that's another story....

Art'65
03-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Probably easiest just to go with a newer straight-6/auto as you suggest, when the time comes.

Thanks, Art

gotavan
03-03-2002, 02:53 PM
Luke come over to the dark side, hack you're doghouse. You know ya really want V-8 powered fun box. In the old days we never thought about changing the whole doghouse just cutting side openings for the headers and making some removable covers. http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gotavan/vwp?.dir=/van+pictures&.dnm=van+327.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

------------------
gotavan

Art'65
03-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Alright, I'll bite, what else is involved in swapping over my '89 FI 350/auto ex-police cruiser engine into my '65? Besides a masochistic personality!!!

Art

gotavan
03-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Why just swap in a couple more cylinders while you're at it! http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/gotavan/vwp?.dir=/van+pictures&.dnm=E.J.%27s+crate+motor.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

------------------
gotavan

Art'65
03-05-2002, 08:07 AM
C'mon, I've only got a 90" wheelbase...would cut into the cargo space too much! http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

Art

Vanner68
03-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Vans are built to haul things....This one's built to haul a$$!